    Hope I am making some sense.
    Any pointers appreciated,
    Dany

    Dany Cayouette, Nov 25, 2005

  2. Dany Cayouette

    Bill Kelly Guest

    From: "Dany Cayouette" <>

    > There has been some questions/comments about how to get ruby 'accepted'
    > in your work environment. I was hoping to use the 'build it and they
    > will come approach'. I.e. code some utilities to help in job function.
    > In order to be successful, not only the utilities need to be useful,
    > but 'easy' to distribute.

    Sorry I can't answer your gems question, but RubyScript2Exe is another
    way to make easily distributable ruby scripts:

    http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/rubyscript2exe/index.html#6.0.0

    Hope this helps,

    Bill

    Bill Kelly, Nov 25, 2005

  3. Dany Cayouette

    James Britt Guest

    Dany Cayouette wrote:
    > Is is currently possible to create/setup a hierarchy. I would like to
    > use standard gem commands that would 'query' a private server first, but
    > that could 'redirect' the query to the 'public' gem site, if query does
    > not match on the private server.

    You can specify what URL to use to fetch gems. For your case, you could
    set this to a local network URL.

    (Some folks already do stuff like this, releasing beta or unstable gems
    by hosting them on public, though non-standard, gem server locations. )

    I *think* it is possible to set this in a gem config file so that users
    do not have to type it out on each gem install. Or wrap it in script so
    that users can more easily opt to install from the local net or the
    public gem repositories.

    James

    http://www.30secondrule.com - Building Better Tools

    James Britt, Nov 25, 2005
  4. Dany Cayouette

    Jim Weirich Guest

    danyc wrote:
    > There has been some questions/comments about how to get ruby 'accepted'
    > in your work environment. I was hoping to use the 'build it and they
    > will come approach'. I.e. code some utilities to help in job function.
    > In order to be successful, not only the utilities need to be useful,
    > but 'easy' to distribute. The utilities would be very 'corporate'
    > specific. I would not need (and in some cases, not want) them to be
    > 'publicly available. I guess the gem could be 'distributed' on a
    > private system, but then why 'polute' the gem 'index/repository' with
    > those entries.
    >
    > Is is currently possible to create/setup a hierarchy. I would like to
    > use standard gem commands that would 'query' a private server first, but
    > that could 'redirect' the query to the 'public' gem site, if query does
    > not match on the private server.

    Yes, it is easy to setup a private gem server. See
    http://docs.rubygems.org/read/chapter/18#page81 for details.

    To use your own repository, just specify the --source parameter on the
    gem command line to point to your URL you have setup.

    Currently, RubyGems will attempt to satisfy all of its dependencies from
    a single source. This limitation will be removed in the future.

    -- Jim Weirich

    Jim Weirich, Nov 25, 2005