Problem creating setup

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by nano2k, Apr 3, 2008.

  1. nano2k

    nano2k Guest

    Hi
    I have developed a webservice using VSNET 2005.
    All works fine.

    Now, I want to create a setup project for deploying on another server.
    I followed the steps found here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6x71sze4(VS.71).aspx

    1. On the File menu, point to Add Project and then click New Project. -
    > DONE

    2. Select the Setup and Deployment Projects folder and then click Web
    Setup Project. -> DONE
    3. In the Name box, type a name for your deployment project and then
    click OK. -> DONE
    4. In Solution Explorer, right-click the deployment project. On the
    shortcut menu, point to Add, and then click Project Output. -> DONE

    and here comes the problem:

    5. In the Add Project Output Group dialog box, select Primary output,
    Debug Symbols, and Content Files.
    I only get Content Files listed here. No Primary output appears.

    Why?
    nano2k, Apr 3, 2008

  2. "nano2k" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > I have developed a webservice using VSNET 2005.
    > All works fine.
    >
    > Now, I want to create a setup project for deploying on another server.
    > I followed the steps found here:
    > http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6x71sze4(VS.71).aspx
    >
    > 1. On the File menu, point to Add Project and then click New Project. -
    >> DONE

    > 2. Select the Setup and Deployment Projects folder and then click Web
    > Setup Project. -> DONE
    > 3. In the Name box, type a name for your deployment project and then
    > click OK. -> DONE
    > 4. In Solution Explorer, right-click the deployment project. On the
    > shortcut menu, point to Add, and then click Project Output. -> DONE
    >
    > and here comes the problem:
    >
    > 5. In the Add Project Output Group dialog box, select Primary output,
    > Debug Symbols, and Content Files.
    > I only get Content Files listed here. No Primary output appears.
    >
    > Why?

    This sounds like you may have used a Web Site instead of a Web Project. Did
    you create your web service by using File->New->Web Site?

    If so, be aware that web sites are not projects.

    I don't know if the new web deployment projects work with web sites. Make
    sure you've upgraded to VS2005 SP1 and try to add a web deployment project.

    Also, stay away from web sites in the future. Use Web Application Projects
    instead. They're just like real projects.

    John Saunders | MVP - Windows Server System - Connected System Developer
    John Saunders [MVP], Apr 3, 2008

  3. nano2k

    nano2k Guest

    On 3 Apr, 15:20, "John Saunders [MVP]" <john.saunders at trizetto.com>
    wrote:
    > "nano2k" <> wrote in message

    > > Hi
    > > I have developed a webservice using VSNET 2005.
    > > All works fine.

    > > Now, I want to create a setup project for deploying on another server.
    > > I followed the steps found here:
    > >http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6x71sze4(VS.71).aspx

    > > 1. On the File menu, point to Add Project and then click New Project. -
    > >> DONE

    > > 2. Select the Setup and Deployment Projects folder and then click Web
    > > Setup Project. -> DONE
    > > 3. In the Name box, type a name for your deployment project and then
    > > click OK. -> DONE
    > > 4. In Solution Explorer, right-click the deployment project. On the
    > > shortcut menu, point to Add, and then click Project Output. -> DONE

    > > and here comes the problem:

    > > 5. In the Add Project Output Group dialog box, select Primary output,
    > > Debug Symbols, and Content Files.
    > > I only get Content Files listed here. No Primary output appears.

    > > Why?

    > This sounds like you may have used a Web Site instead of a Web Project. Did
    > you create your web service by using File->New->Web Site?
    >
    > If so, be aware that web sites are not projects.
    >
    > I don't know if the new web deployment projects work with web sites. Make
    > sure you've upgraded to VS2005 SP1 and try to add a web deployment project..
    >
    > Also, stay away from web sites in the future. Use Web Application Projects
    > instead. They're just like real projects.
    >
    > --
    > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----
    > John Saunders | MVP - Windows Server System - Connected System Developer- Ascunde citatul -
    >
    > - Afiºare text în citat -

    Ok, thanks.

    How can I deploy such a website?
    nano2k, Apr 4, 2008
  4. nano2k

    nano2k Guest

    On 4 Apr, 09:22, nano2k <> wrote:
    > On 3 Apr, 15:20, "John Saunders [MVP]" <john.saunders at trizetto.com>
    > wrote:
    >

    > > "nano2k" <> wrote in message

    > > > Hi
    > > > I have developed a webservice using VSNET 2005.
    > > > All works fine.

    > > > Now, I want to create a setup project for deploying on another server.
    > > > I followed the steps found here:
    > > >http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6x71sze4(VS.71).aspx

    > > > 1. On the File menu, point to Add Project and then click New Project. -
    > > > 2. Select the Setup and Deployment Projects folder and then click Web
    > > > Setup Project. -> DONE
    > > > 3. In the Name box, type a name for your deployment project and then
    > > > click OK. -> DONE
    > > > 4. In Solution Explorer, right-click the deployment project. On the
    > > > shortcut menu, point to Add, and then click Project Output. -> DONE

    > > > and here comes the problem:

    > > > 5. In the Add Project Output Group dialog box, select Primary output,
    > > > Debug Symbols, and Content Files.
    > > > I only get Content Files listed here. No Primary output appears.

    > > > Why?

    > > This sounds like you may have used a Web Site instead of a Web Project. Did
    > > you create your web service by using File->New->Web Site?

    > > If so, be aware that web sites are not projects.

    > > I don't know if the new web deployment projects work with web sites. Make
    > > sure you've upgraded to VS2005 SP1 and try to add a web deployment project.

    > > Also, stay away from web sites in the future. Use Web Application Projects
    > > instead. They're just like real projects.

    > > --
    > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­­-----
    > > John Saunders | MVP - Windows Server System - Connected System Developer- Ascunde citatul -

    > > - Afiºare text în citat -

    > Ok, thanks.
    >
    > How can I deploy such a website?- Ascunde citatul -
    >
    > - Afiþare text în citat -

    Sorry, I should have asked something else.
    Is there a way to convert this website into a project so that I will
    deploy a COMPILED version?
    I dont' want the source files to reside on the live server.
    That's weird!

    Thanks.
    nano2k, Apr 4, 2008
  5. "nano2k" <> wrote in message
    > On 4 Apr, 09:22, nano2k <> wrote:
    >> On 3 Apr, 15:20, "John Saunders [MVP]" <john.saunders at trizetto.com>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >> > "nano2k" <> wrote in message

    >> > This sounds like you may have used a Web Site instead of a Web Project.
    >> > Did
    >> > you create your web service by using File->New->Web Site?

    >> > If so, be aware that web sites are not projects.

    >> > I don't know if the new web deployment projects work with web sites.
    >> > Make
    >> > sure you've upgraded to VS2005 SP1 and try to add a web deployment
    >> > project.

    >> > Also, stay away from web sites in the future. Use Web Application
    >> > Projects
    >> > instead. They're just like real projects.

    >> > --
    >> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­­-----
    >> > John Saunders | MVP - Windows Server System - Connected System
    >> > Developer- Ascunde citatul -

    >> > - Afiºare text în citat -

    >> Ok, thanks.
    >>
    >> How can I deploy such a website?- Ascunde citatul -
    >>
    >> - Afiþare text în citat -

    > Sorry, I should have asked something else.
    > Is there a way to convert this website into a project so that I will
    > deploy a COMPILED version?
    > I dont' want the source files to reside on the live server.
    > That's weird!
    >
    > Thanks.

    I'm not certain about this, so make a backup first. If you right-click the
    web site in the Solution Explorer, is there a "Convert to web application"
    command? Try that (after making a backup!)

    John Saunders | MVP - Windows Server System - Connected System Developer
    John Saunders [MVP], Apr 4, 2008