Setup webservice will install in companyweb

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by nano2k, Sep 6, 2007.

  1. nano2k

    nano2k Guest

    Hi

    I'm using VSNET 2003 (with .NET framework 1.1) to develop a
    webservice. All went fine, until I needed to create the setup for it.
    For that, I have created a new project (File/New/Project, then Setup
    and Deployment Projects/Web Setup Project).
    I managed to create the setup and all goes fine on non-server systems
    (like XP Pro).
    On XP Pro systems, the setup creates a virtual directory under Default
    Web Site website. All goes perfect, as after installing, I am able to
    access the webservice at the following addreses:
    - from local machine: http://localhost/mywebservice/service.asmx
    - from intranet: http://machine_name/mywebservice/service.asmx
    - from internet (when published): http://server_IP_addrress/mywebservice/service.asmx

    On Windows 2003 server systems (including SBS 2003), the setup will
    always install under companyweb site of the local machine. I am not
    willing to publish this site or make some extra configurations on
    those systems. I just want the setup to install my webservice under
    the same "Default Web Site" website, so I'll be able to access the
    webservice the same way I do for XP Pro systems.
    If I manually add the webservice under the "Default Web Site" site as
    a virtual directory, it works ok.

    I mention that the setup doesn't allow me to choose the parent
    website.
    Should I configure the setup project to instruct it to install the way
    I want it? I searched for such configuration options, but no luck.

    Any ideea would be of great help.
    Thanks.

    nano2k, Sep 6, 2007

  2. nano2k

    nano2k Guest

    On 6 Sep, 11:56, nano2k <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I'm using VSNET 2003 (with .NET framework 1.1) to develop a
    > webservice. All went fine, until I needed to create the setup for it.
    > For that, I have created a new project (File/New/Project, then Setup
    > and Deployment Projects/Web Setup Project).
    > I managed to create the setup and all goes fine on non-server systems
    > (like XP Pro).
    > On XP Pro systems, the setup creates a virtual directory under Default
    > Web Site website. All goes perfect, as after installing, I am able to
    > access the webservice at the following addreses:
    > - from local machine:http://localhost/mywebservice/service.asmx
    > - from intranet:http://machine_name/mywebservice/service.asmx
    > - from internet (when published):http://server_IP_addrress/mywebservice/service.asmx
    >
    > On Windows 2003 server systems (including SBS 2003), the setup will
    > always install under companyweb site of the local machine. I am not
    > willing to publish this site or make some extra configurations on
    > those systems. I just want the setup to install my webservice under
    > the same "Default Web Site" website, so I'll be able to access the
    > webservice the same way I do for XP Pro systems.
    > If I manually add the webservice under the "Default Web Site" site as
    > a virtual directory, it works ok.
    >
    > I mention that the setup doesn't allow me to choose the parent
    > website.
    > Should I configure the setup project to instruct it to install the way
    > I want it? I searched for such configuration options, but no luck.
    >
    > Any ideea would be of great help.
    > Thanks.

    Found the answer here:
    http://www.groupsrv.com/dotnet/about124804.html
    Providing the full URL at install time did the trick. Note, I tested
    on a SBS 2003 (SP1).

    nano2k, Sep 6, 2007