install .NET 3.5 on SBS Small Business Server 2003

Dabbler

I need to install 3.5 on SBS 2003 Standard. Does the installation of the
runtime alter any IIS application settings like Default Website, RWW,
CompanyWeb etc or is this safe to install?

Thanks for any input.

bruce barker

no. it just install a few new dll's in a new folders under framework
folders and is completly safe as it makes no changes. to convert a
website to 3.5, you edit the web.config to use the new dll's. the site
will still be a 2.0 site to iis.

sp1 for 3.5 does update the 2.0 dlls and can break code.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Mr. Arnold

Dabbler said:
I need to install 3.5 on SBS 2003 Standard. Does the installation of the
runtime alter any IIS application settings like Default Website, RWW,
CompanyWeb etc or is this safe to install?

No it will not interfere, because you can tell a .Net solution which
framework to use. In addition, the Application Pool is using the .Net 2.0
framework, and .Net 3.5 is just an extension of 2.0 and would sit on top of
2.0 with some functionality specific to 3.5 that a solution using 2.0 would
not use.

I don't think people are aware of what 3.5 has to offer, like ASP.NET Data
Centric Web sites, ASP.NET Report Web site and the ADO.NET Entities
framework, just to name a few.