Problem in Networking...

sravan_reddy001

I have the Server and Client programs...

those work well on my system...
the problem is when i run the server and client on two different
system that are not in LAN and connected to INTERNET its not
working...

how can i resolve IP sharing (192.168.1.10 shown by IPCONFIG) and
(122.169.150.97) by
http://whatismyipaddress.com/

how can resolve that problem..

thanks...

Christian

sravan_reddy001 said:
I have the Server and Client programs...

those work well on my system...
the problem is when i run the server and client on two different
system that are not in LAN and connected to INTERNET its not
working...

how can i resolve IP sharing (192.168.1.10 shown by IPCONFIG) and
(122.169.150.97) by
http://whatismyipaddress.com/

how can resolve that problem..

thanks...

In this case you need to connect to the WAN IP of the Server (the one
shown by whatsmyip.com). Also if a NAT is present you will have to
forward the port you are using to the the LAN IP of the server.

Christian

Matt Humphrey

sravan_reddy001 said:
I have the Server and Client programs...

those work well on my system...
the problem is when i run the server and client on two different
system that are not in LAN and connected to INTERNET its not
working...

how can i resolve IP sharing (192.168.1.10 shown by IPCONFIG) and
(122.169.150.97) by
http://whatismyipaddress.com/

how can resolve that problem..

In order for the client to connect to the server, the server must have an
internet-visible IP number. Your situation isn't clear to me, but I would
guess that you are running a server on a machine whose local IP is
192.168.X.X This class of address is not used on the Internet directly but
is used on LANs. That is, there are thousands of machines with IP address
192.168.1.10. Like them, your LAN is behind a NAT (Network Address
Translation) router that has a true internet address (122.169.150.97). The
NAT router is probably built into your cable or DSL modem and it translates
the outgoing packets to appear to come from the router and the incoming
packets to direct them to the appropriate machine.

The primary issue with this configuration is that your server itself has no
internet-visible IP. A client looking for 192.168.* will not find it and
any client looking for 122.* will find only your router, not your local
machine (which generally is a good thing.) The solution is to configure
your router so that it forwards a particular port from itself to some
machine inside your lan. For example, if your server runs on port 7000,
have your router open up 7000 and forward it to 192.168.1.10.

Keep in mind that as soon as you make a service available on the Internet it
can be subject to external connection requests by the thousands--be sure
your network is secure. Opening up many ports is simply asking for trouble.
Also, making your server accessible to the internet may violate your service
contract with your ISP, especially if the traffic is very high. Some ISPs
block will block you from common ports like 80.

If you are also trying to get the server to contact the client, the process
is very similar but I would strongly suggest you rethink your protocol as
doing so is rarely ever needed and places heavy burdens on the client.

Matthew Humphrey http://www.iviz.com/

sravan_reddy001

The above information is very good, thanks for the suggestion..
i have learnt many things from the above reply...

but, i have one more problem..
i have not allowed any port for ipforwarding().. then how can certain
clients like Yahoo messenger, google talk etc so the same thing as my
program...

will those clients use the http port or some port that is given
access...

thanks a lot...

Lew

sravan_reddy001 said:
i [sic] have not allowed any port for ipforwarding().. then how can certain
clients like Yahoo messenger, google talk etc so the same thing as my
program...

will those clients use the http port or some port that is given
access...

Firewalls generally allow outgoing programs to set up connections; it's the
incoming ones that need port-forwarding.

sravan_reddy001

Firewalls generally allow outgoing programs to set up connections; it's the
incoming ones that need port-forwarding.

Do you mean that if i run my server program on a SERVER then i can run
the program successfully...

Arne Vajhøj

Lew said:
sravan_reddy001 said:
i [sic] have not allowed any port for ipforwarding().. then how can
certain
clients like Yahoo messenger, google talk etc so the same thing as my
program...

will those clients use the http port or some port that is given
access...

Firewalls generally allow outgoing programs to set up connections; it's
the incoming ones that need port-forwarding.

Personal firewalls.

Corporate firewalls often only allow outbound from the MIS departments
servers including a proxy server through a few ports. Users browsers has
to go out through the proxy server.

It is not obvious to me whether the original poster is trying
from work or from home.

Arne

Lew

Arne said:
Lew said:
sravan_reddy001 said:
i [sic] have not allowed any port for ipforwarding().. then how can
certain
clients like Yahoo messenger, google talk etc so the same thing as my
program...

will those clients use the http port or some port that is given
access...

Firewalls generally allow outgoing programs to set up connections;
it's the incoming ones that need port-forwarding.

Personal firewalls.

Corporate firewalls often only allow outbound from the MIS departments
servers including a proxy server through a few ports. Users browsers has
to go out through the proxy server.

It is not obvious to me whether the original poster is trying
from work or from home.

Based on their report that IM products work, it seems that their firewall is
allowing outbound programs to make connections.

Lew

Lew said:
sravan_reddy001 said:
Do you mean that if i [sic] run my server program on a SERVER then i can run
the program successfully...

No.

I mean that when a program makes an outbound connection, many firewalls permit
that outbound (i.e., client) program to establish a two-way connection.

I don't even really understand your question, assuming it was a question. I
made no comments about "server program", nor about a "SERVER", whatever you
mean by that.

sravan_reddy001

i(sravan_reddy001) am the original poster..

i'm trying the program at my home...
i am trying to use the program with another frined who is also
connected to internet...
the error it is generating is "Connection Timed Out"..

Roedy Green

those work well on my system...
the problem is when i run the server and client on two different
system that are not in LAN and connected to INTERNET its not
working...

how can i resolve IP sharing (192.168.1.10 shown by IPCONFIG) and
(122.169.150.97) by
http://whatismyipaddress.com/

Very rarely do you hard code IP addresses into programs. Most places
you can use an IP you can use a website name.

To talk between sites, your firewalls on both sides must co-operate to
let the traffic through. Even a little router these days has a small
firewall in it.

For general info on IPs see http://mindprod.com/jgloss/ip.html

Roedy Green

Do you mean that if i run my server program on a SERVER then i can run
the program successfully...

Firewalls by default don't advertise a port waiting for an incoming
connection. You must do something special to configure the firewall to
make that port visible to the outside world, often translating the
port number. The internal IP address is not advertised to the outside
world. They just see the IP of the firewall.

Martin Gregorie

sravan_reddy001 said:
i(sravan_reddy001) am the original poster..

i'm trying the program at my home...
i am trying to use the program with another frined who is also
connected to internet...
the error it is generating is "Connection Timed Out"..

Lets call the one that is running the Server A and the one running the
Client, B.

A must do this:
- note the port the server program listens on (call it portS)
- make his router forward portS to the computer that is running
the server program
- tell B his router's IP (we'll call this IPA) and portS.

B should make the Client program connect to IPA:portS