Problem installing ExtUtils::Command from CPAN

Vincent Foley

Hello clpm,

I am trying to install the ExtUtils::Command module on my Ubuntu (Edgy
Eft) machine, but I seem to fall into a practical joke of some sort,
because I am told during the installation that CPAN.pm cannot install
ExtUtils::Command because ExtUtils/Command.pm isn't found in my @INC.
Could anyone help me out with this problem? The version of Perl used
on Edgy Eft is 5.8.8. For more information, I have included the entire
output of what happens when I try to do the installation.

Thanks,

Vincent.

cpan> install ExtUtils::Command
CPAN: Storable loaded ok
Going to read /home/vince/.cpan/Metadata
Database was generated on Thu, 26 Oct 2006 05:23:55 GMT
Running install for module ExtUtils::Command
Running make for R/RK/RKOBES/ExtUtils-Command-1.12.tar.gz
CPAN: Digest::MD5 loaded ok
CPAN: Compress::Zlib loaded ok
Checksum for
/home/vince/.cpan/sources/authors/id/R/RK/RKOBES/ExtUtils-Command-1.12.tar.gz
ok
Scanning cache /home/vince/.cpan/build for sizes
ExtUtils-Command-1.12/
ExtUtils-Command-1.12/t/
ExtUtils-Command-1.12/t/shell_exit.t
ExtUtils-Command-1.12/t/shell_command.t
ExtUtils-Command-1.12/t/eu_command.t
ExtUtils-Command-1.12/t/lib/
ExtUtils-Command-1.12/t/lib/TieOut.pm
ExtUtils-Command-1.12/META.yml
ExtUtils-Command-1.12/lib/
ExtUtils-Command-1.12/lib/ExtUtils/
ExtUtils-Command-1.12/lib/ExtUtils/Command.pm
ExtUtils-Command-1.12/lib/Shell/
ExtUtils-Command-1.12/lib/Shell/Command.pm
ExtUtils-Command-1.12/Changes
ExtUtils-Command-1.12/MANIFEST
ExtUtils-Command-1.12/Build.PL
ExtUtils-Command-1.12/Makefile.PL
ExtUtils-Command-1.12/README
Removing previously used /home/vince/.cpan/build/ExtUtils-Command-1.12

CPAN.pm: Going to build R/RK/RKOBES/ExtUtils-Command-1.12.tar.gz

Argument "6.30_01" isn't numeric in numeric ge (>=) at Makefile.PL line
22.
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for ExtUtils::Command
Can't locate ExtUtils/Command.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/home/vince/perl /home/vince/perl/lib/perl/5.8.7
/home/vince/perl/share/perl/5.8.7 /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8
/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5
/usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .).
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
make: *** [blib/lib/ExtUtils/.exists] Error 2
/usr/bin/make -- NOT OK
Running make test
Can't test without successful make
Running make install
make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

Sisyphus

..
..
CPAN.pm: Going to build R/RK/RKOBES/ExtUtils-Command-1.12.tar.gz

Argument "6.30_01" isn't numeric in numeric ge (>=) at Makefile.PL line
22.
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for ExtUtils::Command
Can't locate ExtUtils/Command.pm in @INC (@INC contains:
/home/vince/perl /home/vince/perl/lib/perl/5.8.7
/home/vince/perl/share/perl/5.8.7 /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.8.8
/usr/local/share/perl/5.8.8 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5
/usr/lib/perl/5.8 /usr/share/perl/5.8 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .).
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
make: *** [blib/lib/ExtUtils/.exists] Error 2
/usr/bin/make -- NOT OK
Running make test
Can't test without successful make
Running make install
make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

Neat joke, indeed :)

EU::Command is part of core perl with 5.8.7 and 5.8.8 - so definitely should
have been part of your perl to begin with. What became of it ?

Does the module install if you simply download ExtUtils-Command-1.12.tar.gz
from CPAN, extract to some location, cd to that location, and run:

perl Makefile.PL
make test
make install

Are you able to install *any* perl modules at all ? (Sometimes the default
perl installation is not fully functional - and to get a fully functional
version of perl it is necessary to install the perl "devel" version from the
OS installation media. But if we're dealing with a perl that you've built
yourself then this should *not* be the case.)

EU::Command is pure perl, so if all else fails, you might be able to get
things working by copying Command.pm to the ExtUtils directory under one of
the @INC directories. But if you're missing the "devel" installation then
that probably won't be sufficient in itself.

Cheers,
Rob

Vincent Foley

I just tried installing WWW::Mechanize and IO::prompt and both failed
because of the absence of ExtUtils/Command.pm in my @INC.

I have downloaded libperl-dev from apt-get, but this hasn't fixed the
problem. When I went to ~/.cpan/build/ExtUtils-Command-1.12/ and tried
the perl Makefile.PL; make test, I got the same error as before.

Now, I just tried something that I think worked, but I'm not sure: I
copied ExtUtils/Command.pm into my @INC so that I could perform the
manual installation of the module and this worked. If I run into more
problems, I'll let you know.

Also, I would be interested to know if you guys think I should compile
Perl5 from scratch instead of using the Ubuntu-provided packages; I
know the Ruby guys strongly recommend against using the Debian package
of Ruby because it lacks all sorts of modules that are normally
installed by default.

Vincent
.
.
[...]

On my Mandrake box I leave the perl that comes with the OS (in /usr/bin)
alone - since the OS actually needs it, and I don't want to inadvertently
jigger something up.

Instead the perl that *I* use on that box (which I built myself from source)
is in /usr/local/bin.

I think it's good general advice to do it that way. It might not be
*necessary* to do that .... but it's a fairly safe way of going about
things.

Cheers,
Rob