problem installing MqSQL - Perl::DBI

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by pc, Jan 11, 2006.

  1. pc

    pc Guest

    hi everyone,

    I am trying to install MySQL5. When I do that I get the following error
    message:

    [root@myserver local]# rpm -i
    MySQL-server-standard-5.0.18-0.rhel3.i386.rpm
    warning: MySQL-server-standard-5.0.18-0.rhel3.i386.rpm: V3 DSA
    signature: NOKEY, key ID 5072e1f5
    error: Failed dependencies:
    perl(DBI) is needed by MySQL-server-standard-5.0.18-0.rhel3

    I downloaded the perl::DBI module from CPAN and it seemed to install OK
    (did perl Makefile.PL, make, make test, make install)

    I have rebooted but still no joy.

    How do I test that perl::DBI is installed?

    TIA

    eddiec :)

    pc, Jan 11, 2006

  2. "pc" <> writes:
    > I am trying to install MySQL5. When I do that I get the following error
    > message:
    >
    > [root@myserver local]# rpm -i
    > MySQL-server-standard-5.0.18-0.rhel3.i386.rpm
    > warning: MySQL-server-standard-5.0.18-0.rhel3.i386.rpm: V3 DSA
    > signature: NOKEY, key ID 5072e1f5
    > error: Failed dependencies:
    > perl(DBI) is needed by MySQL-server-standard-5.0.18-0.rhel3

    This tells you that rpm thinks a package named perl(DBI) is needed to
    install MySQL-server-standard. So install the rpm for it, and you're
    done.

    > I downloaded the perl::DBI module from CPAN and it seemed to install OK
    > (did perl Makefile.PL, make, make test, make install)

    That's nice, but it doesn't change the fact that an rpm for perl(DBI)
    is needed. When you're dealing with rpm, it only knows about packages
    that it has installed. In fact, many packages include more (sometimes
    less) than what is included from an upstream distributor (such as
    CPAN). The only way that rpm can know that exactly what is wants is
    installed is if you install it via rpm.

    IOW, you don't have a perl problem, you have a redhat (or whatever
    your distro happens to be) problem. Consult them if you still are
    confused about what to do.

    > I have rebooted but still no joy.
    >
    > How do I test that perl::DBI is installed?

    You don't care if perl::DBI is installed, you care if the rpm package
    perl(DBI) is installed. In fact, you probably want to uninstall the
    version you just installed, because it could conflict with the
    standard version in the RPM.

    -=Eric

    Eric Schwartz, Jan 11, 2006

  3. pc