Problem installing Python 2.4.3 on FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p31

james

I have a problem installing Pyhton 2.4.3, running "./configure
--with-threads=no" completes, but gives the warning:

configure: WARNING: curses.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: curses.h: check for missing prerequisite
headers?
configure: WARNING: curses.h: see the Autoconf documentation
configure: WARNING: curses.h: section "Present But Cannot Be
Compiled"
configure: WARNING: curses.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING: curses.h: in the future, the compiler will take
precedence

Running "make" then gives the error:

gcc -shared build/temp.freebsd-5.3-RELEASE-p31-i386-2.4/_cursesmodule.o
-L/usr/local/lib -lncursesw -o
build/lib.freebsd-5.3-RELEASE-p31-i386-2.4/_curses.so
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
*** Error code 139

I assume this is related to the configure warning... ? Same error with
just a standard "./configure" and "make".

Any help would be great :)

Regards,
James

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

I assume this is related to the configure warning... ? Same error with
just a standard "./configure" and "make".

Any help would be great :)

If you don't need the curses module, go on with the installation.
It's a known bug in FreeBSD's curses header file.

Regards,
Martin

jamesuh

Martin said:
If you don't need the curses module, go on with the installation.
It's a known bug in FreeBSD's curses header file.

Regards,
Martin

But I cannot continue because it seg faults and does not continue the
make - Forgive my ignorance, but how do I prevent the curses module
from being included?

jamesuh

jamesuh said:
But I cannot continue because it seg faults and does not continue the
make - Forgive my ignorance, but how do I prevent the curses module
from being included?

Nevermind done it :)

rainbow.cougar

jamesuh said:
But I cannot continue because it seg faults and does not continue the
make - Forgive my ignorance, but how do I prevent the curses module
from being included?

There is some severe problem here. I have this very version of Python
on a FreeBSD 5.3 system (I'm typing on it now) and didn't have this
problem. I think you may have some conflict in your object libs.

If you don't need tkinter you can go to one of the FreeBSD ftp sites
and download the packaged binary version.