Problem remotely shutting down a windows computer with python

EW

I have a problem when using the python script found here:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/360649

It is a script to remotely shutdown a windows computer. When I use it,
the computer shuts down, but doesn't power off like with a regular
shutdown. It stays on the "Safe to power off" screen and I have to push
the power button to actually power off. Anyone know why this happens
with this script? Thanks for any help.

Eric

Daniel Bickett

While I have no solution for the recipe you cited, it seems like alot
of trouble could be avoided by simply importing the os module and
running the following command using os.system:

shutdown -s

Daniel Bickett

EW

I believe that would shutdown the computer you were physically at, but
it wouldn't shutdown the computer down the hall over the LAN like this
script was meant to do.

Kartic

Hi,

According to the online docs for InitiateSystemShutdown() at
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/do...32/win32api__InitiateSystemShutdown_meth.html

bRebootAfterShutdown : int

Specifies whether the computer is to restart immediately after
shutting down. If this parameter is TRUE, the computer is to restart.
If this parameter is FALSE, the system flushes all caches to disk,
clears the screen, and displays a message indicating that it is safe to
power down.

Same at Microsoft for the Win32 API Call -
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...en-us/sysinfo/base/initiatesystemshutdown.asp

Looks like this is the documented outcome. You could alternatively try
setting a little XML-RPC app to invoke 'shutdown -s' on the remote PC
from your PC (e.g. using Twisted Python).

Thanks,
--Kartic

Duncan Booth

Kartic said:
Looks like this is the documented outcome. You could alternatively try
setting a little XML-RPC app to invoke 'shutdown -s' on the remote PC
from your PC (e.g. using Twisted Python).

Or invoke 'shutdown -s -m \\machinename' on the local machine to shutdown a
remote machine.

Tim G

I have a problem when using the python script found here:
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/360649

It is a script to remotely shutdown a windows computer. When I use it,
the computer shuts down, but doesn't power off like with a regular
shutdown. It stays on the "Safe to power off" screen and I have to push
the power button to actually power off. Anyone know why this happens
with this script? Thanks for any help.

Eric

I see that others have answered the question
pretty completely, but just to add the obligatory
WMI solution:
[ assumes you're using the wmi module from
http://tgolden.sc.sabren.com/python/wmi.html ]

<code>

import wmi
c = wmi.WMI (computer="other_machine", privileges=["RemoteShutdown"])
os = c.Win32_OperatingSystem (Primary=1)[0]
os.Win32Shutdown (Flags=12)
</code>

The Flags=12 bit should shut down all the way.

TJG

EW

This does exactly what I needed! Thanks! Not sure what Windows
Management Instrumentation is, but I'll look into it now.

Eric