Problem untaring python2.5

abhishek

Hi everyone , i am not able to untar python 2.5 source code using "
tar -xvzf " . Is it a problem with my system settings or python 2.5
itself.

When i tried to do it it resulted in following errors --

tar: Skipping to next header
Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/ide/
new_window_made.gif
tar: Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/
Documentation/ide/new_window_made.gif: Cannot open: No such file or
directory
tar: Skipping to next header
Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/ide/
output_window.gif
tar: Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/
Documentation/ide/output_window.gif: Cannot open: No such file or
directory
tar: Skipping to next header
Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/ide/
simple_commands.gif
tar: Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/
Documentation/ide/simple_commands.gif: Cannot open: No such file or
directory
tar: Skipping to next header
Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/
doc/
tar: Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/
Documentation/doc: Cannot mkdir: No such file or directory
Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/doc/
index.html
tar: Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/
Documentation/doc/index.html: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Skipping to next header
Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/
scripting.html
tar: Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/
Documentation/scripting.html: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Skipping to next header
Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/
python.gif
tar: Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/
Documentation/python.gif: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Skipping to next header
Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/
pythonsmall.gif
tar: Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/
Documentation/pythonsmall.gif: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Skipping to next header
Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/
community.html
tar: Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/
Documentation/community.html: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Skipping to next header
Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/
gui.html
tar: Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/
Documentation/gui.html: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Skipping to next header
Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/
PackageManager.gif
tar: Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/
Documentation/PackageManager.gif: Cannot open: No such file or
directory
tar: Skipping to next header
Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/
finder.html
tar: Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/
Documentation/finder.html: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Skipping to next header
Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/
index.html
tar: Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/
Documentation/index.html: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Skipping to next header
Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/
shell.html
tar: Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/
Documentation/shell.html: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Skipping to next header
Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/
packman.html
tar: Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/
Documentation/packman.html: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Skipping to next header
Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/
intro.html
tar: Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/
Documentation/intro.html: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Skipping to next header
Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings
tar: Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/
InfoPlist.strings: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Skipping to next header
Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/PythonInterpreter.icns
tar: Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/PythonInterpreter.icns:
Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Skipping to next header

samuel.progin

Hello,

It is not possible to give sharp hints without more relevant
information like:
- What is your platform?
- Which version of python?
- What is the version of: $ tar --version (GNU tar, other proprietary
tar, according to my personal experience, AIX tar may fail)
- Is your disk full or do you have the correct permissions with your
current user?

++

Sam

abhishek

Hello,

It is not possible to give sharp hints without more relevant
information like:
- What is your platform?
- Which version of python?
- What is the version of: $tar--version (GNUtar, other proprietarytar, according to my personal experience, AIXtarmay fail)
- Is your disk full or do you have the correct permissions with your
current user?

++

Sam

Hi Sam ,
I am using windows server 2003, python2.5.1 and version 1.16 of tar

and as per disk full issues i dont think that my systems hard disk is
full

Shane Geiger

You might want to try an all-python implementation for sanity testing.

I haven't tested this snippet much. I am not sure it handles nested
files all that well.

import tarfile
tar = tarfile.open("TarTest.tar.gz2", "r:gz") # other options:
"r:bz2", and ??
file_list = tar.getnames()

import os
os.mkdir('new_dir')
# write the files out to new files
for fname in tar.getnames():
# extract/decompress the data of each file
data = tar.extractfile(fname).read()
# optionally change the filename
new_file = "new_dir/" + fname
print "File %s written!" % new_file
# write the decompressed data to a file
fout = open(new_file, "w")
fout.write(data)
fout.close()

# done, close the tar file ...
tar.close()

--
Shane Geiger
IT Director

Leading the Campaign for Economic and Financial Literacy

John Machin

Hi Sam ,
I am using windows server 2003, python2.5.1 and version 1.16 of tar

and as per disk full issues i dont think that my systems hard disk is
full

You didn't answer the question about permissions. You may need to log
on as an admin.

If those /Mac/..... files are the only ones that untar complained
about and it unpacked all the other files, then AFAIK you don't have a
problem -- that stuff is Macintosh-specific.

Otherwise I suggest you try another means of unpacking the archive. I
have downloaded the tgz file and unpacked it successfully with 7zip
(http://www.7-zip.org/) -- it should hack the tar.bz2 file also.

HTH,
John

Florian Diesch

abhishek said:
Hi everyone , i am not able to untar python 2.5 source code using "
tar -xvzf " . Is it a problem with my system settings or python 2.5
itself.

When i tried to do it it resulted in following errors --

tar: Skipping to next header
Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/Documentation/ide/
new_window_made.gif
tar: Python-2.5/Mac/Resources/app/Resources/English.lproj/
Documentation/ide/new_window_made.gif: Cannot open: No such file or
directory

tar can't write the unpacked files because the directory they belong to
doesn't exist. Most likely that's because tar can't create the
directory either.

Do you have write permission for the directory where you want to unpack
to? Can you create the directory Python-2.5 by hand ("mkdir Python-2.5")?

Florian