Problem Using SqlDataSource to automatically Update Value of item in Gridview Row

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Datagrid Control' started by Vaughn Haybittle, Apr 2, 2007.

  1. Hi,

    I have a Gridview that binds to a SQL Server 2000 Database Table.

    I have configured the SelectCommand, UpdateCommand, InsertCommand and
    DeleteCommand of the SQL DataSource. All of these commands work except the
    Update Command. The SQL for the Update Command is as follows: "UPDATE
    tblInductionVenues SET inv_venue=@inv_venue WHERE inv_uid=@inv_uid"

    I have the following questions:
    1) Do I need to manually configure the parameters in the Command and
    Parameter Editor, or should the fact that they are named according the the
    convention above be enough fo rthem just to work?
    2) If I do need to manually configure the parameters then how do I get a
    handle on the textbox that appears when the gridview is in edit mode (I know
    how to specify the inv_uid by setting it to the selectedvalue of the
    gridview)
    3) Why is it that my DELETE and SELECT Commands work perfectly but not my
    UPDATE command
    4) Is there any way to debug what is happening while the SqlDataSource is
    executing my UpdateCommand SQL (I know that I can use the updating and
    updated events just before and after the update, but I want to capture
    exectly what happens during the update)

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    TIA

    Vaughn