Problem using urllib to download images

tstrogen

I am using Python 2.6 on Mac OS 10.3.9.
I have been trying to use:
image = urllib.URLopener()
image.retrieve(url, filename)
to download images from websites. I am able to do so, and end up with
the appropriate file. However, when I try to open the file, I get an
error message. It's something about corrupted data, and an
unrecognised file.
Anyone know what I'm talking about/had similar experiences?
-Taidgh

drobinow

I am using Python 2.6 on Mac OS 10.3.9.
I have been trying to use:
image = urllib.URLopener()
image.retrieve(url, filename)
to download images from websites. I am able to do so, and end up with
the appropriate file. However, when I try to open the file, I get an
error message. It's something about corrupted data, and an
unrecognised file.
Anyone know what I'm talking about/had similar experiences?
-Taidgh

Please show an actual program, complete with error messages.

import urllib
image = urllib.URLopener()
image.retrieve("http://www.python.org/images/success/nasa.jpg",
"NASA.jpg")

Works for me.

tstrogen

Then perhaps it's a problem with my os.
[TERMINAL SESSION]
[18:16:33 Mon Nov 03] python
Python 2.6 (trunk:66714:66715M, Oct 1 2008, 18:36:04)
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.('logo.gif', <httplib.HTTPMessage instance at 0x5196e8>)
[/TERMINAL SESSION]
And here's the error message I get when I try to open it: "File Error:
Couldn't open the file. It may be corrupt or a file format that
Preview doesn't recognize.".
I have had a similar result trying to open it with other programs.
-Taidgh

Jerry Hill

Then perhaps it's a problem with my os.
[TERMINAL SESSION]
[18:16:33 Mon Nov 03] python
Python 2.6 (trunk:66714:66715M, Oct 1 2008, 18:36:04)

That's not the URL of an image file. Maybe you're looking for
url = 'http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/images/logo.gif'
('logo.gif', <httplib.HTTPMessage instance at 0x5196e8>)
[/TERMINAL SESSION]
And here's the error message I get when I try to open it: "File Error:
Couldn't open the file. It may be corrupt or a file format that
Preview doesn't recognize.".
I have had a similar result trying to open it with other programs.

That's because you downloaded some HTML and saved it in a file named
logo.gif. That's unlikely to work in any image viewing program. Try
opening the file you downloaded in a text editor and you'll see.

tstrogen

That's because you downloaded some HTML and saved it in a file named
logo.gif. That's unlikely to work in any image viewing program. Try
opening the file you downloaded in a text editor and you'll see.

Aha, so the first param is the file, and second is the name you save
the files as. Thankyou, for pointing out my stupid mistake. I was
confused by trying to replicate a program called 'comicdownloader.py'
off of uselesspython.com. I thought that the first param was the page
containing the file, and the second was the file. And that the file
would simply be saved as it's name on the website. Thanks again.
-Taidgh