Problem when Hosting Windows User controls in Webform

news.microsoft.com

I am unable to load the user control from client machine browser if the user
controls referes other custom dlls that I have created. Its working fine if
I access the user control from my machine but it is not working if I try to
access from other machines. Its working only if I copy the referenced dlls
in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot folder. I don't want to copy the dlls in this folder
because it is already in GAC. Why it is not pulling from Gac? how to solve
this problem?

Thanks,

Rajan.

Axel Dahmen

This sounds like a security problem to me. But as I don't know how you access your UserControl locally I can only take a guess:

In Windows Explorer try to grant read/execute access to the ASP.NET account and to the IUSR_machineName resp. IWAM_machineName account available on your computer.

HTH,
Axel Dahmen

Steve C. Orr, MCSD

Just because they are in the GAC on your server doesn't mean that they are
publicly available to the whole internet. I bet there are things in the GAC
that you don't want to share with the whole world. It would be quite
presumptuous of ASP.NET and IIS to just assume that they should pass along
your server's private files.
Therefore it is necessary to copy them to the public wwwroot folder to make
it clear that you do indeed wish to share these files.