Problem with Application intrinsic object -

Pexi

Hi,

we have a component developed with VB6 (compiled as a single threaded dll),
which we have used as Application level object for several years in classic
asp without problems. Yet now, when we are trying to use this same component
in Win2003 + IIS6 environment, we get following error:
-----------
Application object, ASP 0197 (0x80004005)
Cannot add object with apartment model behavior to the application intrinsic
object.
-----------

I emphasize that the component IS NOT apartment threaded, it's single
threaded!

I even tried to reprogram this component using dotnet C# (to make it
multithreaded), but unfortunately ended up getting this same error message
when trying to add the component in Application intrinsic object (classic
asp, not ASP.NET).

Any ideas? Why is this? What has changed since IIS4/IIS5?

The application that is using this component is quite a big one, several
hundreds of thousands of lines of VB+stored procs code and more than 1000
asp pages, and each page depending on this single threaded component. We
really need to find a more commercially viable solution than rewriting all
these asp-pages! Help!

/Pexi

Anthony Jones

Pexi said:
Hi,

we have a component developed with VB6 (compiled as a single threaded dll),
which we have used as Application level object for several years in classic
asp without problems. Yet now, when we are trying to use this same component
in Win2003 + IIS6 environment, we get following error:

It's still an apartment model it's just that all objects will be created in
a single apartment which has one thread.

A phrase containing the words Creek and Paddle comes to mind I'm afraid.

You could set IIS to use 5.0 isolation mode perhaps it will put the
application object to a compatible state with your code. However you loose
many of the IIS 6 benefits.

Pexi

OK, thanks Anthony,

does this also mean that there is no way for me to rewrite the component
with dotnet - are dotnet COM interop components unusable with classic asp
(when used in Application object scope)?

I'm also curious to know what has changed since IIS4/5? I mean, is this IIS6
incompatibility with previous versions "by design"?

Thanks again,
Pexi