problem with .aspx.vb code

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by slinky, Aug 8, 2007.

  1. slinky

    slinky Guest

    I'm working on a problem with a form with 6 textboxes and a submit
    button for adding data to an Access database.I changed a few things
    and got it down to 1 error!. I have a Sub
    Page_Load and a Sub btnAdd:
    (It still doesn't like the 'SourceVersion' in the Sub Page_Load).
    Also
    I viewed the .aspx in the browser and got an error which I posted
    complete at the bottom of this post). Thanks for any clues... I'm
    almost there!!

    Imports System.Data
    Imports System.Data.OleDb
    Public Class Default5
    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
    Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
    Dim cnn As OleDbConnection = _
    New OleDbConnection("Data Source=(local);" & _
    "Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")
    Dim ds As DataSet = New DataSet()
    Dim da As OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDbDataAdapter()
    If IsPostBack Then
    Dim cmdSelect As OleDbCommand = _
    cnn.CreateCommand()
    cmdSelect.CommandType = CommandType.Text
    cmdSelect.CommandText = _
    "SELECT (Asset Number, Description, Serial_Number, Mfg, Asset Type,
    RDCnumber) FROM Assets"
    Dim cmdInsert As OleDbCommand = _
    cnn.CreateCommand()
    cmdInsert.CommandType = CommandType.Text
    cmdInsert.CommandText = _
    "INSERT INTO Assets " & _
    "(Asset Number, Description, Serial_Number, Mfg, Asset Type,
    RDCnumber) " & _
    "VALUES(@Asset_Number, @Description, @Serial_Number, @Mfg,
    @AssetType,
    @RDCnumber"
    cmdInsert.Parameters.Add("@txtAsset_Number",
    OleDbType.Double, 12, "Asset_Number")
    cmdInsert.Parameters.Add("@txtDescription",
    OleDbType.WChar, 40, "Description")
    cmdInsert.Parameters.Add("@txtSerial_Number",
    OleDbType.WChar, 30, "Serial_Number")
    cmdInsert.Parameters.Add("@txtMfg", OleDbType.WChar, 30,
    "Mfg")
    cmdInsert.Parameters.Add("@txtAssetType",
    OleDbType.WChar,
    30, "AssetType")
    cmdInsert.Parameters.Add("@txtRDCNumber",
    OleDbType.WChar,
    30, "RDCnumber")
    Dim SourceVersion As DataRowVersion
    SourceVersion = DataRowVersion.Original
    da.SelectCommand = cmdSelect
    da.InsertCommand = cmdInsert
    da.Fill(ds, "Assets")
    End If
    End Sub
    Private Sub btnAdd_Click( _
    ByVal sender As System.Object, _
    ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnAdd.Click
    Dim ds As DataSet = New DataSet()
    Dim da As OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDbDataAdapter()
    Dim dr As DataRow = ds.Tables("Assets").NewRow()
    dr(0) = txtAsset_Number.Text
    dr(1) = txtDescription.Text
    dr(2) = txtSerial_Number.Text
    dr(3) = txtMfg.Text
    dr(4) = txtAssetType.Text
    dr(5) = txtRDCnumber.Text
    ds.Tables("Assets").Rows.Add(dr)
    da.Update(ds, "Assets")
    End Sub
    End Class
    __________________________

    Server Error in '/' Application.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------­-----

    An OLE DB Provider was not specified in the ConnectionString. An
    example would be, 'Provider=SQLOLEDB;'.

    Exception Details: System.ArgumentException: An OLE DB Provider was
    not specified in the ConnectionString. An example would be,
    'Provider=SQLOLEDB;'.

    Source Error:

    Line 5: Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
    Line 6: ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    Line 7: Dim cnn As OleDbConnection = _
    Line 8: New OleDbConnection("Data Source=(local);" & _
    Line 9: "Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")

    Source File: E:\kunden\homepages\26\d190091667\Default5.aspx.vb
    Line: 7

    Stack Trace:

    [ArgumentException: An OLE DB Provider was not specified in the
    ConnectionString. An example would be, 'Provider=SQLOLEDB;'.]
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionString.ValidateProvider(String
    progid) +1044303

    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionString.ValidateConnectionString(String
    connectionString) +221
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionString..ctor(String
    connectionString, Boolean validate) +271

    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnectionOptions(String
    connectionString, DbConnectionOptions previous) +36

    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnectionPoolGroup(String
    connectionString, DbConnectionPoolGroupOptions poolOptions,
    DbConnectionOptions& userConnectionOptions) +125
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.ConnectionString_Set(String
    value) +56
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.set_ConnectionString(String
    value) +4
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection..ctor(String connectionString)
    +21
    Default5.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in E:\kunden
    \homepages\26\d190091667\Default5.aspx.vb:7
    +1061

    slinky, Aug 8, 2007

  2. slinky

    Mick Walker Guest

    <snip>

    > Imports System.Data
    > Imports System.Data.OleDb
    > Public Class Default5
    > Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
    > Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
    > ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    > Dim cnn As OleDbConnection = _
    > New OleDbConnection("Data Source=(local);" & _
    > "Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")
    > Dim ds As DataSet = New DataSet()

    </snip>
    Try

    Dim cnn As OleDbConnection = New
    OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=(local);
    Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")

    But this still wont work, because as far as I can see, you dont set the
    path to the access file anywhere.

    Mick Walker, Aug 8, 2007

  3. slinky

    slinky Guest

    The database resides in the App_Data folder on my web provider's
    server where my website objects reside. Do I need to put the path to
    the URL? Thanks!

    slinky, Aug 8, 2007
  4. slinky

    slinky Guest

    I changed the filepath and was able to get it to have no errors. But
    when I ran my .aspx file I got the following error shown below my
    code. Is the line "If IsPostBack" an issue? Thanks

    Imports System.Data
    Imports System.Data.OleDb
    Public Class Default5
    Inherits System.Web.UI.Page
    Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, _
    Dim cnn As OleDbConnection = _
    New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
    Source=(www.juggernautical.com\App_Data\Lowes.mdb);" & _
[...]

    Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB
    status value, if available. No work was done.

    Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Multiple-step OLE
    DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if
    available. No work was done.

    Source Error:

    Line 33: da.SelectCommand = cmdSelect
    Line 34: da.InsertCommand = cmdInsert
    Line 35: da.Fill(ds, "Assets")
    Line 36: End If
    Line 37: End Sub

    Source File: E:\kunden\homepages\26\d190091667\Default5.aspx.vb
    Line: 35

    Stack Trace:

    [OleDbException (0x80040e21): Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated
    errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was
    done.]

    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbServicesWrapper.GetDataSource(OleDbConnectionString
    constr, DataSourceWrapper& datasrcWrapper) +209

    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionInternal..ctor(OleDbConnectionString
    constr, OleDbConnection connection) +118

    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnectionFactory.CreateConnection(DbConnectionOptions
    options, Object poolGroupProviderInfo, DbConnectionPool pool,
    DbConnection owningObject) +53

    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.CreateNonPooledConnection(DbConnection
    owningConnection, DbConnectionPoolGroup poolGroup) +27

    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionFactory.GetConnection(DbConnection
    owningConnection) +47

    System.Data.ProviderBase.DbConnectionClosed.OpenConnection(DbConnection
    outerConnection, DbConnectionFactory connectionFactory) +105
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection.Open() +37
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset,
    DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String
    srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior) +121
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32
    startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command,
    CommandBehavior behavior) +137
    System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, String
    srcTable) +83
    Default5.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) in E:\kunden
    \homepages\26\d190091667\Default5.aspx.vb:35
    +1061
    _______________________________

    slinky, Aug 8, 2007
  5. slinky

    Mick Walker Guest

    slinky wrote:
    > I changed the filepath and was able to get it to have no errors. But
    > when I ran my .aspx file I got the following error shown below my
    > code. Is the line "If IsPostBack" an issue? Thanks

    Use Server.MapPath or try the reletive path to the data file.

    Mick Walker, Aug 8, 2007
  6. slinky

    slinky Guest

    I've used Server.MapPath with reading an XML file into a dataset, but
    am unsure how to phrase it for an Access Database. What I used for XML
    was:

    Using ds As New DataSet()
    ds.ReadXml(Server.MapPath("blog.xml"))

    So I'm unsure where to go from here. Here's what I'm coming up with
    for the Connection for Page_Load:

    New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
    Source=(Server.MapPath\App_Data\Lowes.mdb);" & _
    "Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")

    But do I need to do anything in the code for btnADD ?

    Private Sub btnAdd_Click( _
    ByVal sender As System.Object, _
    ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnAdd.Click
    Dim ds As DataSet = New DataSet()
    Dim da As OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDbDataAdapter()
    Dim dr As DataRow = ds.Tables("Assets").NewRow()
    dr(0) = txtAsset_Number.Text
    dr(1) = txtDescription.Text
    dr(2) = txtSerial_Number.Text
    dr(3) = txtMfg.Text
    dr(4) = txtAssetType.Text
    dr(5) = txtRDCnumber.Text
    ds.Tables("Assets").Rows.Add(dr)
    da.Update(ds, "Assets")
    End Sub

    I get no errors till I view in browser:
    Source Error:

    Line 33: da.SelectCommand = cmdSelect
    Line 34: da.InsertCommand = cmdInsert
    Line 35: da.Fill(ds, "Assets")
    Line 36: End If
    Line 37: End Sub

    Line 35 is flagged in the browser as a problem.

    slinky, Aug 8, 2007
  7. slinky wrote:
    > I've used Server.MapPath with reading an XML file into a dataset, but
    > am unsure how to phrase it for an Access Database. What I used for XML
    > was:
    >
    > Using ds As New DataSet()
    > ds.ReadXml(Server.MapPath("blog.xml"))
    >
    > So I'm unsure where to go from here. Here's what I'm coming up with
    > for the Connection for Page_Load:
    >
    > New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
    > Source=(Server.MapPath\App_Data\Lowes.mdb);" & _
    > "Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")

    Server.MapPath is a method, not a folder. It turns a virtual path into a
    physical path, so you supply it with a virtual path. A virtual path uses
    /, not \.

    Use this to get the physical path to the database file:

    Server.MapPath("~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb")

    Concatenate this into the connection string.

    > But do I need to do anything in the code for btnADD ?
    >
    > Private Sub btnAdd_Click( _
    > ByVal sender As System.Object, _
    > ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnAdd.Click
    > Dim ds As DataSet = New DataSet()
    > Dim da As OleDbDataAdapter = New OleDbDataAdapter()
    > Dim dr As DataRow = ds.Tables("Assets").NewRow()
    > dr(0) = txtAsset_Number.Text
    > dr(1) = txtDescription.Text
    > dr(2) = txtSerial_Number.Text
    > dr(3) = txtMfg.Text
    > dr(4) = txtAssetType.Text
    > dr(5) = txtRDCnumber.Text
    > ds.Tables("Assets").Rows.Add(dr)
    > da.Update(ds, "Assets")
    > End Sub

    You need to supply a database connection to the DataAdapter, otherwise
    it doesn't know what to update.

    > I get no errors till I view in browser:
    > Source Error:
    >
    > Line 33: da.SelectCommand = cmdSelect
    > Line 34: da.InsertCommand = cmdInsert
    > Line 35: da.Fill(ds, "Assets")
    > Line 36: End If
    > Line 37: End Sub
    >
    > Line 35 is flagged in the browser as a problem.

    What "problem"? You should include the error message.

    --
    Göran Andersson
    _____

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=, Aug 8, 2007
  8. slinky

    slinky Guest

    I put this into my doce for the Page_Load and the btnAdd:

    Dim cnn As OleDbConnection = _
    New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
    Source=Server.MapPath(~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb));" & _
    "Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")

    I get no errors till I launch the browser and here's the complete
    message.
    I see below what I believe to be the physical path on my provider's
    server:

    E:\kunden\homepages\26\d190091667\Default5.aspx.vb

    The actual URL to access my site to the page 'Default5.aspx (not the
    module) is:
    www.juggernautical.com/default5.aspx

    Server Error in '/' Application.

    Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB
    status value, if available. No work was done.

    Exception Details: System.Data.OleDb.OleDbException: Multiple-step OLE
    DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if
    available. No work was done.

    Source Error:

    Line 33: da.SelectCommand = cmdSelect
    Line 34: da.InsertCommand = cmdInsert
    Line 35: da.Fill(ds, "Assets") <<< This line
    is in Red on screen
    Line 36: End If
    Line 37: End Sub

    slinky, Aug 8, 2007
  9. slinky wrote:
    > I put this into my doce for the Page_Load and the btnAdd:
    >
    > Dim cnn As OleDbConnection = _
    > New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
    > Source=Server.MapPath(~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb));" & _
    > "Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")
    >
    > I get no errors till I launch the browser and here's the complete
    > message.
    > I see below what I believe to be the physical path on my provider's
    > server:
    >
    > E:\kunden\homepages\26\d190091667\Default5.aspx.vb
    >
    > The actual URL to access my site to the page 'Default5.aspx (not the
    > module) is:
    > www.juggernautical.com/default5.aspx
    >
    > ______________________________________________________________________________________________
    >
    > Server Error in '/' Application.
    >
    > Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB
    > status value, if available. No work was done.

    Your select query is incorrect. If you have spaces in your field names,
    you have to encode the names in brackets.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=, Aug 8, 2007
  10. slinky

    slinky Guest

    OK I double checked and corrected any incident of misspelling or
    brackets missing and corrected those. But still the browser brings up
    this: (And I know nothing about
    reading a stack)

    Also, do I have this syntaxed correctly (ignore the '& _'s as they are
    just from reformat on paste)?:

    slinky, Aug 8, 2007
  11. slinky wrote:
    > OK I double checked and corrected any incident of misspelling or
    > brackets missing and corrected those.

    And now it looks like?

    > But still the browser brings up
    > this: (And I know nothing about
    > reading a stack)
    >
    > Also, do I have this syntaxed correctly (ignore the '& _'s as they are
    > just from reformat on paste)?:
    >
    > New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
    > Source=Server.MapPath(~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb));" & _
    > "Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")

    No. You have put Server.MapPath inside the string. There it doesn't mean
    anything at all. Concatenate the return value from the method into the
    string:

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=, Aug 8, 2007
  12. slinky

    slinky Guest

    I tried this exact paste:

    New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
    Source=" & Server.MapPath(~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb) & ";" & _
    "Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")

    And it didn't like the format so I redid it to:

    New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data &
    _
    Source=" & Server.MapPath(~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb) & ";" & _
    "Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")

    And that didn't work either, so I tried just one long string:

    New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
    Source=" & Server.MapPath(~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb) & ";" "Initial
    Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")

    or:

    New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
    Source=" & Server.MapPath & _
    (~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb) & ";" "Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated
    Security=SSPI")

    Then it doesn't allow the "~" symbol. I see your point about putting
    Server.MapPath outside the rest of the code, but I tried these
    variations and couldn't get the syntax to be accepted.

    Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong? And I really do appreciate your
    help for this newbie!

    slinky, Aug 9, 2007
  13. slinky wrote:
    > I tried this exact paste:
    >
    > New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
    > Source=" & Server.MapPath(~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb) & ";" & _
    > "Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")

    That's only two lines, not three. I just edited the code that you posted.

    I forgot the quotes around the string in the call to MapPath.

    You really should read up a bit on the basic elements in the
    programming, like strings and method calls. If you just copy and paste
    code that you don't understand, you won't learn anything.

    Code posted in newsgroups and articles often has small mistakes like
    this, if you don't understand the code you can't fix those mistakes and
    use the code.

    --
    Göran Andersson
    _____

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran_Andersson?=, Aug 10, 2007
  14. On Aug 10, 10:52 pm, Göran Andersson <> wrote:
    > slinky wrote:
    > > I tried this exact paste:

    > > New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data
    > > Source=" & Server.MapPath(~/App_Data/Lowes.mdb) & ";" & _
    > > "Initial Catalog=Assets;Integrated Security=SSPI")

    > That's only two lines, not three. I just edited the code that you posted.
    >
    > I forgot the quotes around the string in the call to MapPath.
    >
    > You really should read up a bit on the basic elements in the
    > programming, like strings and method calls. If you just copy and paste
    > code that you don't understand, you won't learn anything.
    >
    > Code posted in newsgroups and articles often has small mistakes like
    > this, if you don't understand the code you can't fix those mistakes and
    > use the code.
    >
    > --
    > Göran Andersson
    > _____http://www.guffa.com