Problem with authentication when using Windows XP in IIS5

Julie

I have a page that authenticates users by reading
Request.ServerVariables("AUTH_USER") and
Request.ServerVariables("AUTH_TYPE"). When users try to access this
page from windows NT/2000, it works fine (prompts them for their
credentials when they're not on the same domain, and then lets them
in). Now, some of the users got XP boxes, and can't get in to the
page. It prompts them for their credentials but when they enter them,
just keeps prompting them. The credentials they are entering are
correct. What is different on XP that is causing this problem and is
there any setting I can modify on the server side to prevent this from
happening. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

TomB

If they aren't part of the domain, they should precede the appropriate
username with the domain, as in...
username: Domain\Tom
password: mysupersecretpassword

Ray at

XP is probably loading the page as the FQDN of the machine instead of just
the netbios name, assuming that's how the users are accessing your site.
Like, XP looks at http://computername as http://computername.domain.com.
The FQDN with the .'s in the name will put IE in the Internet zone, in which
IE will not send logon credentials automatically, by default.

You can add an entry to the XP machines' hosts files, or you can remove the
DNS entry for that server and disable DNS updates for it, and then resolve
the name via WINS, if you still have a WINS server on your network.

I think you could also create a new DNS master record with just the computer
name and IP if you only have DNS internally.

Ray at work