    there any setting I can modify on the server side to prevent this from
    happening. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.

    Julie, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Julie

    TomB Guest

    If they aren't part of the domain, they should precede the appropriate
    username with the domain, as in...
    username: Domain\Tom
    password: mysupersecretpassword

    TomB, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Julie

    Ray at Guest

    XP is probably loading the page as the FQDN of the machine instead of just
    the netbios name, assuming that's how the users are accessing your site.
    Like, XP looks at http://computername as http://computername.domain.com.
    The FQDN with the .'s in the name will put IE in the Internet zone, in which
    IE will not send logon credentials automatically, by default.

    You can add an entry to the XP machines' hosts files, or you can remove the
    DNS entry for that server and disable DNS updates for it, and then resolve
    the name via WINS, if you still have a WINS server on your network.

    I think you could also create a new DNS master record with just the computer
    name and IP if you only have DNS internally.

    Ray at work

    Ray at, Jul 23, 2003