Windows XP (IIS 5) and ASP.NET 2.0 Application?

Brian McCullough

Hello,

I am running Windows XP (SP2 and all recent updates) on my development box.
When I have Anonymous Access on my Virtual Directory, I can navigate to my
"web site" fine. I setup my ASP.NET 2.0 application's Virtual Directory to
"Integrated Windows authentication" only (unchecked the Anonymous Access)
and now I keep getting prompted for credentials every time I try to hit my
site. I am trying to hit it from outside the IDE using Internet Explorer.
When I enter my credentials that I used to log onto my machine with, it
doesn't recognize them and tells me it cannot display the page.

However, when I run Internet Explorer as "Administrator", I see my site with
no problems (right click IE shortcut and use "RunAs").

I recently switched from using the Windows XP feature that allows me to just
click a user name to log on, to now making sure that now have to supply a
username and password to log on (no more multiple users at the same time
either). After doing that I still noticed I was having the problem, so I
removed IIS and reinstalled it, however, I am still having the problem. I
have even ensured that my login is in the Local Administrators group.

I am not sure if this is the correct place for this posting, but I figured
it was a start.

Any help is appreciated!!

TIA!!

-Brian

Brian McCullough

I am not sure what ultimately fixed this, but somehow it is now corrected.
The last thing I did before it was fixed was to reset the Default Web Site
to only allow Windows Integrated by clearing the Allow Anonymous and
checking Windows Integrated. It then prompted me to see if I wanted this
setting to propogate to the child Virtual Directories. I did not select
any. Then an IISRESET and magically things started working. I was able to
browse to the Virtual Directories under my IIS installation (that were setup
for Windows Integrated) without being prompted for credentials (and
subsequently failing, even when supplying the correct credentials).

Some other things I did during the process...

1. Uninstalled IE7 in case it was a browser issue and reverted back to IE6.
Later (after performing above steps) reinstalled IE7 and the issue popped up
again. I went into Tools > Internet Options > Security tab. I then
selected "Local intranet" and clicked the "Sites" button. I then clicked
the "Advanced" button on the Local intranet dialog. I added the following
sites to this zone:

http://mymachinename
http://localhost

Now things seem to be working again...FOR NOW!

-Brian