Problem with Japanese Fonts and Java (Mayjay)

Discussion in 'Java' started by ro.naldfi.scher@gmail.com, Jun 7, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I would like to run a Java application under Linux (Zig Zichterman's
    "Mayjay",
    available for free at http://ziggr.com/mayjay/), which is supposed to
    display
    Japanese characters. The problem is that this application does not find
    and Japanese fonts on my system.

    I'm pretty sure that I do have at least *some* suitable Japanese font,
    because
    for example my web browser (Seamonkey) is able to display Japanese
    pages. I contacted the author of Mayjay to ask, how he determined what
    a Japanese font is, and he replied that he used
    java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getAllFonts()), and tests to see which of
    those fonts can display japanese. He guesses that
    Java does not infer correctly from the OS which fonts are Japanese, so
    this might
    be either a Linux or a Java problem.

    Unfortunately I don't have much experience in this area. Any help would
    be
    highly appreciated.

    Ronald
    , Jun 7, 2006

  2. hiwa Guest

    ã®ãƒ¡ãƒƒã‚»ãƒ¼ã‚¸:

    > I would like to run a Java application under Linux (Zig Zichterman's
    > "Mayjay",
    > available for free at http://ziggr.com/mayjay/), which is supposed to
    > display
    > Japanese characters. The problem is that this application does not find
    > and Japanese fonts on my system.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure that I do have at least *some* suitable Japanese font,
    > because
    > for example my web browser (Seamonkey) is able to display Japanese
    > pages. I contacted the author of Mayjay to ask, how he determined what
    > a Japanese font is, and he replied that he used
    > java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getAllFonts()), and tests to see which of
    > those fonts can display japanese. He guesses that
    > Java does not infer correctly from the OS which fonts are Japanese, so
    > this might
    > be either a Linux or a Java problem.
    >
    > Unfortunately I don't have much experience in this area. Any help would
    > be
    > highly appreciated.
    >
    > Ronald

    Java needs proper font configuration file in its jre/lib directory.
    If your system locale is not ja on your Linux system, Java would not
    use
    the correct font config for Japanese even when it has one.

    Try visit: http://forum.java.sun.com/forum.jspa?forumID=54
    hiwa, Jun 7, 2006

  3. hiwa Guest

    hiwa ã®ãƒ¡ãƒƒã‚»ãƒ¼ã‚¸:

    > ã®ãƒ¡ãƒƒã‚»ãƒ¼ã‚¸:
    >
    > > I would like to run a Java application under Linux (Zig Zichterman's
    > > "Mayjay",
    > > available for free at http://ziggr.com/mayjay/), which is supposed to
    > > display
    > > Japanese characters. The problem is that this application does not find
    > > and Japanese fonts on my system.
    > >
    > > I'm pretty sure that I do have at least *some* suitable Japanese font,
    > > because
    > > for example my web browser (Seamonkey) is able to display Japanese
    > > pages. I contacted the author of Mayjay to ask, how he determined what
    > > a Japanese font is, and he replied that he used
    > > java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.getAllFonts()), and tests to see which of
    > > those fonts can display japanese. He guesses that
    > > Java does not infer correctly from the OS which fonts are Japanese, so
    > > this might
    > > be either a Linux or a Java problem.
    > >
    > > Unfortunately I don't have much experience in this area. Any help would
    > > be
    > > highly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Ronald

    > Java needs proper font configuration file in its jre/lib directory.
    > If your system locale is not ja on your Linux system, Java would not
    > use
    > the correct font config for Japanese even when it has one.
    >
    > Try visit: http://forum.java.sun.com/forum.jspa?forumID=54

    Mayjay has Font menu that selects font from font paths or
    /etc/X11/fs/config ..... catalogue entries
    hiwa, Jun 7, 2006