Problem with LargeFile support (Debian, Woody)

Eddie Parker

Hello!

Standard disclaimer here - I'm new, so I'm not sure if this is the wrong
place to be posting, so please be kind if I am, and I'll kindly move my
question elsewhere. :) Otherwise - thank you for your help!

I'm trying to set up Zope, but everytime I do, I get a warning that
largefile support isn't enabled.

I hop into my ever friendly python interpreter, and run 'import
test.test_largefile', and I get the following:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
File "/usr/local/lib/python2.3/test/test_largefile.py", line 47, in ?
raise test_support.TestSkipped, \
test.test_support.TestSkipped: filesystem does not have largefile support

Now, I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong? I'm running on Debian woody, and
uname -a gives me the following information:

Linux server 2.2.20-idepci #1 Sat Apr 20 12:45:19 EST 2002 i686 unknown

And df -HT gives me the following:

Filesystem Type Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda1 ext2 3.0G 470M 2.3G 17% /

Does ext2 not have largefile support? I'm not familiar with the whole issue
at hand, so any information you can give me would be great. :)

Thanks!

-e-

Derek Chen-Becker

Eddie said:
[...]

Python or your glibc may not be compiled with Largefile support,
although if this is a recent dist I'd be surprised at this. IIRC, ext2
supports Large files, but your libraries have to as well.

Derek

Eddie Parker

Hello Derek!

Thanks for your reply.

I guess I forgot to specify - I followed the directions outlined at
http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/posix-large-files.html (the Zope
install tells you to go there, if you don't have largefile support), and it
still fails the unit test.

So I'm guessing that means that my glibc version might not be compatible...
Is there any sort of test, I can do for that? Or should I just update that
version, and hope that fixes it?

Thanks for your help!

-e-