problem with QtSignals "object has no attribute 'emit'"

News123

Hi,

I'm having a rather small code snippet, where I create pyQT signals.
I manage creating a signal as class attribute,
but I can't create a list of signals or a signal
as object.member.

from PyQt4.QtGui import *
from PyQt4.QtCore import *

class MyWin(QMainWindow):
clssig = pyqtSignal()
sigarr = [ pyqtSignal() ]
def emit_them(self):
self.objsig = pyqtSignal()
self.clssig.emit() # works
self.sigarr[0].emit() # fails
self.objsig.emit() # fails

if __name__ == "__main__":
app = QApplication(sys.argv)
win = MyWin()
win.show()
win.emit_them()
sys.exit(app.exec_())

The two lines marked with fails will fail with following error:
AttributeError: 'PyQt4.QtCore.pyqtSignal' object has no attribute 'emit'

The QT documentation states:
"New signals should only be defined in sub-classes of QObject."

I guess, that his is the reason. though I don't know enough about PyQT
to understand the magic behind.

Now my question:

How could I create an array of signals if I wished to?

I can work aroud it, but would be curious.

Thanks for shadng some light on this (for me surprising) issue.

Phil Thompson

[...]

You can't create an array of signals.

Signals are defined to both Python and C++. This is done when the class is
defined by introspecting the class attributes - but it doesn't look for
signals any deeper than that, i.e. it won't look into your sigarr list.

Even if it did, there is a second issue. Signals have unbound and bound
versions (much like unbound and bound methods). The class attribute is an
unbound signal that is a descriptor that will return the bound signal. It
is the bound signal that implements the emit() method. It would be possible
for an unbound signal's __call__ method to also return a bound signal so
that you could do something like...

self.sigarr[0](self).emit()

....but I can't think of a valid use case.

Phil