problem with samsung-944 cellular phone

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Mobile' started by Nadav Popplewell, Jul 13, 2005.

  1. Hi everybody,

    I have a problem with Samsung-944 cellular phone.
    (the HTTP_USER_AGENT of this phone is
    "SAMSUNG-SGH-E700/BSI+UP.Browser/6.1.0.6+(GUI)+MMP/1.0")

    I have a form in my application with a textbox and a button.
    On most cellular phones the post back from the button works OK,
    on samsung-944 the post back returns error 404.
    I've checked the log of the IIS and saw that the POST from the button is to
    /main.aspx instead of to /icc/(....)/main.aspx.

    This is the xhtml generated by asp.net:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//WAPFORUM//DTD XHTML Mobile 1.0//EN"
    "http://www.wapforum.org/DTD/xhtml-mobile10.dtd">
    <head>
    <title></title>
    ..s0{
    text-align: right;
    }
    </head>
    action="Main.aspx?__ufps=364052">
    value="aDxfX1A7QDxmcm1Mb2dpbjvrspnijrfngLbgo4gsMDs+Oz6FByLHzJSvFm6mV496nQcMEZNeWQ=="/>
    ×©× ×ž×©×ª×ž×©:

    <input name="txtUsername"/>
    <input type="submit" name="_btnLogin" value="הכנס"/>

    It seems to me the problem is with the 'action' attribute of the form tag
    that should have the full url, but no matter what I do I can't get the
    ASP.NET to generate the page with a full url.

    This cellular phone is not recognized by ASP.NET, so I detected it's
    capacities using the ASP.NET device profiling tool at
    http://www.asp.net/mobile/profile/default.aspx
    and added it to my application web.config file:

    <browserCaps>
    <use var="HTTP_USER_AGENT" />
    <case match="SAMSUNG-SGH-E700\/BSI UP\.Browser\/6\.1">
    isMobileDevice="true"
    breaksOnInlineElements = "False"
    browser = "Openwave 6.1"
    canInitiateVoiceCall = "True"
    canSendMail = "False"
    cookies = "True"
    inputType = "telephoneKeypad"
    isColor = "True"
    javascript = "False"
    maximumHrefLength = "16000"
    maximumRenderedPageSize = "64000"
    mobileDeviceManufacturer = "SAMSUNG"
    mobileDeviceModel = "SGH-E700"
    preferredImageMime = "image/jpeg"
    preferredRenderingMime = "application/xhtml+xml"
    preferredRenderingType = "xhtml-basic"
    requiresAbsolutePostbackUrl = "True"
    requiresCommentInStyleElement = "False"
    requiresFullyQualifiedRedirectUrl = "True"
    requiresHiddenFieldValues = "False"
    requiresHtmlAdaptiveErrorReporting = "False"
    requiresOnEnterForwardForCheckboxLists = "False"
    requiresPostRedirectionHandling = "True"
    requiresXhtmlCssSuppression = "False"
    screenBitDepth = "16"
    screenCharactersHeight = "6"
    screenCharactersWidth = "14"
    screenPixelsHeight = "128"
    screenPixelsWidth = "160"
    supportsAccessKeyAttribute = "True"
    supportsBodyClassAttribute = "True"
    supportsBodyColor = "True"
    supportsBold = "True"
    supportsCss = "True"
    supportsDivAlign = "True"
    supportsDivNoWrap = "False"
    supportsEmptyStringInCookieValue = "True"
    supportsFontColor = "True"
    supportsFontName = "True"
    supportsFontSize = "True"
    supportsItalic = "True"
    supportsNoWrapStyle = "True"
    supportsQueryStringInFormAction = "True"
    supportsRedirectWithCookie = "True"
    supportsSelectFollowingTable = "True"
    supportsStyleElement = "True"
    supportsTitleElement = "True"
    supportsUrlAttributeEncoding = "True"
    tables = "True"
    type = "SAMSUNG-SGH-E700"
    </case>
    <!-- requiresSpecialViewStateEncoding = "True" -->
    </filter>
    </browserCaps>

    If anybody has any idea how to solve this problem
    PLEASE tell me,

    Thanks
    Nadav
    Nadav Popplewell, Jul 13, 2005

  2. Hi Nadav,

    After reviewing the issue, I checked out the list of ASP.NET Mobile Control
    and Microsoft Mobile Internet Toolkit Tested Devices also. The web link is:
    http://www.asp.net/mobile/testeddevices.aspx?tabindex=6

    This device - samsng944 is not in the list yet. That is to say, it hasn't
    been tested. Based on the following web page:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/mwsdk/html/
    mwconSupportedDevices.asp
    -------------
    Supported Devices
    Microsoft has performed testing for the ASP.NET mobile controls by using
    the following devices, browsers, and device emulators. You can configure
    many of these devices and emulators to work with different gateways. The
    gateway that you choose depends on service availability and reliability in
    the regions in which your customers operate devices. Although Microsoft has
    tested the ASP.NET with popular gateways, Microsoft makes no claim that
    ASP.NET is compatible with present or future gateways.

    Applications developed using ASP.NET might work with additional devices and
    browsers that have not been tested.

    Device and browser manufacturers might provide updates that override or
    update current device capabilities. Check with the appropriate corporations
    about the availability and guidelines for using device emulators. The .NET
    Framework does not include any devices, browsers, device emulators, or
    phone service. Availability of devices varies by region and carrier.

    IMPORTANT MICROSOFT CORPORATION MAKES NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY,
    EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, WITH RESPECT TO THE TESTING OF THE LISTED DEVICES,
    BROWSERS, AND DEVICE EMULATORS.
    ---------------------

    So currently you should contact device manafactures and report this issue
    to them. They owns the device and has the capability to determine how to
    deal with it. This should be the quickest way for the problem resolution.

    If you have any more concerns, please feel free to post here. Thanks very
    much for your understanding.

    Best regards,
    Yanhong Huang
    Microsoft Community Support

    Register to Access MSDN Managed Newsgroups!
    -http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=/servicedesks/msdn/nospam.as
    p&SD=msdn

    Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT], Jul 14, 2005

  3. Is there any documentation of the Mobile Device Capacibilies?
    I have been unable to find any documentation about some of the capabilities
    (for example, 'requiresAbsolutePostbackUrl' )

    I trying to get in touch with samsung, but it might take some time (to get
    in touch with and for them to fix the problem).
    I was hoping I can solve the program by adding the device capabilities for
    the samsung 944 to my web.config, but I can't get ASP.NET to generate the
    action attribute of the form tag with an absolute url (as the samsung 944
    seems to require).
    I would have thought that the 'requiresAbsolutePostbackUrl' capability
    controls this, but it does NOT seem to do anything.

    Nadav
    Nadav Popplewell, Jul 26, 2005
  4. Hi Nadav,

    For requiresAbsolutePostbackUrl, the only description in MSDN is:
    Returns true if the device requires an absolute URL for a postback. The
    default value is false.

    I checked our developer database. To get support of it, the device needs to
    be in our supported list first. That is why I suggest you contact Samsung
    and wait for their response first. If there is no plan or fix from them,
    there is no way from our side to change the behavior from software part.

    Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT], Jul 27, 2005
  5. I'm not sure I understand what you mean when you say
    > there is no way from our side to change the behavior from software part.

    Which behavior? the phone's or ASP.NET's?

    As I understand the way ASP.NET works, if the requiresAbsolutePostbackUrl
    property is true for a certain device then the ASP.NET runtime should
    generate html(or wml) pages with absolute Postback URL.
    Now, for Samsung 944 the profile has requiresAbsolutePostbackUrl =true,
    but the <form> 'action' attribute (which as far as I know is the Postback
    url for the form) is NOT absolute.
    What I want to know is,is there another property that will cause the ASP.NET
    to generate an absolute URL in the action tag or not.

    Thanks,
    Nadav
    Nadav Popplewell, Jul 27, 2005
  6. Hi Nadav,

    Sorry for the misunderstanding. What I meant is that our product group will
    work only on the supported device to test for the effect of each tag and
    then troubleshoot the problem.

    Here I post a sample code of using this tag:
    <case match=".*Nokia6590.*">
    msExchOmaSupported = "true"
    canInitiateVoiceCall = "false"
    cookies = "true"
    isColor = "true"
    inputType = "virtualKeyboard"
    maximumRenderedPageSize = "25000"
    preferredImageMime = "image/gif"
    preferredRenderingMime = "application/xhtml+xml"
    preferredRenderingType = "xhtml-mp"
    requiresAbsolutePostbackUrl = "true"
    requiresCommentInStyleElement = "false"
    requiresHtmlAdaptiveErrorReporting = "true"
    screenBitDepth = "8"
    screenCharactersHeight = "14"
    screenCharactersWidth = "24"
    screenPixelsHeight = "255"
    screenPixelsWidth = "180"
    supportsAccessKeyAttribute = "true"
    supportsBold = "true"
    supportsCss = "true"
    supportsFontName = "true"
    supportsFontSize = "true"
    supportsItalic = "true"
    supportsRedirectWithCookie = "false"
    supportsStyleElement = "true"
    tables = "true"
    </case>

    There is no other property which will cause ASP.NET to generate an absolute
    URL so far. So my suggestion is to make sure this device is in the
    supported list first. If it still met such problem, we will contact support
    team to report it and work on the issue. Is that OK for you?

    Thanks very much.

    Yan-Hong Huang[MSFT], Jul 28, 2005