Problem with <string> values if used in more than one file

Andreas Schmitt

Hi,

I got a problem here that I haven't been able to fix so far since I don't
even know what the problem is.
I have the following two files (among one other 'Class1.cpp') in my Project
in Visual C++
The MainFile.cpp works fine, but as soon as I try to use strings in
Class1.hpp the compiler reports an error
and claims he doesn't know the 'string' variable type.
Why does he know in the first file and not in the second?
I have the necessary <string> included in both files, yet he doesn't know
the string type in one of them..??

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks

********************
** MainFile.cpp:
********************

#include <stdio.h>
#include <string>
#include <time.h>

#include "Class1.hpp"

using namespace std;

int main()

string myString[3] = {"Content1", "Content2", "Content3"};

return 0;
}

********************
** Class1.hpp:
********************

#ifndef CLASS1_HPP
#define CLASS1_HPP

#include <string>

class Class1
{
public:
Team();
~Team();

private:
string myString2;
};

#endif

Alipha

********************
** Class1.hpp:
********************

#ifndef CLASS1_HPP
#define CLASS1_HPP

#include <string>

class Class1
{
public:
Team();
~Team();

private:
string myString2;
};

#endif

it's std::string, not string, and you don't have a using statement.
please just type std::string and don't bother with the using statement.
there's little reason to clutter the global namespace just to save a
few keystrokes. Especially don't have using statements in header files,
since that forces every file which includes that header to also import
those identifiers into the global namespace.

Andreas Schmitt

Alipha said:
it's std::string, not string, and you don't have a using statement.
please just type std::string and don't bother with the using statement.
there's little reason to clutter the global namespace just to save a
few keystrokes. Especially don't have using statements in header files,
since that forces every file which includes that header to also import
those identifiers into the global namespace.

Thank you.. forgot about the namespace.. thanks
But I seem to have another problem.
Maybe you or somebody else can help me with that one as well..

***************
Class1.hpp
***************

class Class1
{
public:
Class1();
~Class1();
void SetString( std::string String[3] );

private:
std::string myString[3];
};

***************
Class1.cpp
***************

void Class1::SetString( std::string String[3] )
{
myString = String;

It says now that it cant convert 'std::string[]' to 'std::string[3]'

Did I declare something wrong here?

Thanks again

Andreas Schmitt

As additional info maybe:

I call the Method from MainFile.cpp like this:

using namespace std;

Class1* ExampleObject = new Class1

string exampleString[3] = {"Content1", "Content2", "content3"};

ExampleObject ->SetString( exampleString );

Xie Yubo

Andreas said:
[...]

Look, in Class1.hpp, you just only include the <string> but don't
declare the "std" namespace. You need to add the follow line:
using namespace std;

--
Best Regards

Xie Yubo
Email: (e-mail address removed) Website: http://xieyubo.cn/
Harbin Institute of Technology
Phone: 86-451-86416614 Fax: 86-451-86413309

Ram

std::string myString[3];
};

***************
Class1.cpp
***************

void Class1::SetString( std::string String[3] )
{
myString = String;

It says now that it cant convert 'std::string[]' to 'std::string[3]'

Did I declare something wrong here?

I presume you intent to copy String contents to myString. Contents of
array (or pointer) variables can't be copied that way. Also array
variables are kind of const, they can't be reassigned. Use
void Class1::SetString( std::string String[3] )
{
for(int i=0; i<3; ++i)
myString = String;
}