problem with w3c validation

biff

I seem to be having a problem with validating through w3c. Sites that
validated just yesterday aren't now. I'm getting "No Character Encoding
Found! Falling back to UTF-8" and "Unable to Determine Parse Mode" error
messages. This is on sites that validated perfectly before. After seeing
that I decided to check other sites in my bookmarks and I'm getting the
same error on every one. Is anyone else seeing this?

Thank you,

biff

dorayme

I seem to be having a problem with validating through w3c. Sites that
validated just yesterday aren't now. I'm getting "No Character Encoding
Found! Falling back to UTF-8" and "Unable to Determine Parse Mode" error
messages. This is on sites that validated perfectly before. After seeing
that I decided to check other sites in my bookmarks and I'm getting the
same error on every one. Is anyone else seeing this?

Thank you,

biff

Not really? I checked one of my sites on a Microsoft-IIS/6.0 server and
also on a Apache/2.2.9 (FreeBSD) server and both came out fine...

If you care to supply a URL, perhaps someone might see something to
explain it?

I suggest you make up a couple of html pages. In your editor, save one
as UTF-8 and the other as iso-8859-1 and load them up to one of the
servers you are noticing problems with. See if they are both rejected.

cwdjrxyz

I seem to be having a problem with validating through w3c. Sites that
validated just yesterday aren't now. I'm getting "No Character Encoding
Found! Falling back to UTF-8" and "Unable to Determine Parse Mode" error
messages. This is on sites that validated perfectly before. After seeing
that I decided to check other sites in my bookmarks and I'm getting the
same error on every one. Is anyone else seeing this?

First, check again to see if you still have the problem and that it
was not just some temporary problem. I just checked a few of my pages
at w3c, and they still validate.

Try to validate http://winefaq.cwdjr.net/ , which validates as html
4.01 strict and as CSS for me on the w3c html and css validators. If
this page gives the same problem as you mention, the problem likely is
something to do with your computer or something different that is
happening between the w3c validator and our computers and I would have
no idea what that could be. If my page validates for you, look at the
source code for it. Copy both the Doctype and the meta tag for the
character encoding and paste these in your page to replace the Doctype
and meta you have for character encoding there, assuming you are using
html 4.01 strict. The validator is very fussy about case, spaces, and
hidden garbage in these and it always is safest to copy and paste
these from ones known to work. On many of my more recent pages, I use
a php include at the very top of the page for header exchange. In that
case I also write php code for the character encoding, so there is no
need for a meta for it in the html code. Such pages also validate at
the w3c.

The w3c does make changes in the validators from time to time, and
sometimes something does not validate after such a change. In that
case, I usually find that they just have included a check for
something they did not check for in the past. This is often something
rather obscure but that can be found buried deep in some of the html
or css specifications. Finding the source of such new errors sometimes
can take considerable time.

biff

dorayme said:
Not really? I checked one of my sites on a Microsoft-IIS/6.0 server and
also on a Apache/2.2.9 (FreeBSD) server and both came out fine...

If you care to supply a URL, perhaps someone might see something to
explain it?

I suggest you make up a couple of html pages. In your editor, save one
as UTF-8 and the other as iso-8859-1 and load them up to one of the
servers you are noticing problems with. See if they are both rejected.

This was one of the sites that didn't validate last night although it
validates just fine this morning.

http://coosresources.org

Since I lurk here quite a bit I tried sites of some the regulars that I
knew validated and I was getting the same error. The validator was
acting like there was no doctype or no charset which there definitely
was, odd.

All my sites validate fine now although validating through Web Developer
is taking a long time.

Thanks for the reply

biff

biff

cwdjrxyz said:
First, check again to see if you still have the problem and that it
was not just some temporary problem. I just checked a few of my pages
at w3c, and they still validate.

Apparently it was just a temporary problem as they all validate now. I
did try sites from some of the regulars from this newsgroup and none of
them validated either, and these were sites known to validate, weird.

thank you for the reply

biff