Problems porting COM component to ASP.Net 2.0 64 bit website

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Gregory Gadow, Nov 8, 2006.

  1. I am moving a classic ASP website on a 32 bit server to an ASP.NET 2.0
    website on a 64 bit server. I very much need to port the Adobe Acrobat
    FDF sdk to the new site, but I've run in to the dreaded "Retrieving the
    COM clas factory for component with CLSID {..} failed due to the
    following error: 80040154" error message. Any suggestions on what to do
    next would be greatly appreciated.

    The sdk has two libraries, a main one that can be registered, and a
    secondary one that can not. The main library has a companion IDL file
    and the secondary one has a companion .LIB file. This is what I have
    done:

    1. Use si.exe to create a strong key.

    2. Use tlbimp.exe to create a .NET wrapper around the main library. The
    wrapper includes the strong key.

    3. Copy the two component libraries and their companion files to the
    \Windows\SysWOW64 folder of the new server. From there, I used regsvr32
    to register the main library. I then confirmed that it was listed under
    HREF_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Classes. The CLSID found there
    matches the one coming up in the error message.

    4. Made sure that all four files had read/execute permission for local
    user ASPNET.

    5. Copy the wrapper library to the bin directory of the website project.

    On a test 32 bit server, I can now run my page and generate a FDF file.
    Doing these exact same steps on the 64 bit machine, however, causes the
    page to crash on the first reference to the wrapper class:

    Dim FdfAcX as FdfAcX_NET = New FdfAcX_Net.FdfApp

    I have found suggestions to compile the project specifically for x86
    processors rather than with the default "All CPU" setting for VS 2005. I
    know where this is done with a Windows project, but I can't locate any
    such option for a web project.

    I am at a loss. Any suggestions on what to try next? And before you
    ask... there is no 64 bit version of the Adobe Acrobat sdk, at least not
    that Adobe mentions on their website.
    --
    Gregory Gadow

    Gregory Gadow, Nov 8, 2006