Problems upgrading application from .NET 1.0 to 1.1

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Flynn the User, Apr 6, 2004.

  1. I've upgraded an ASP .Net web application from .NET 1.0 to .NET 1.1,
    and it works fine on my development machine, but when I move it to a
    server and try to run it, I keep getting "Invalid PInvoke Metadata
    Format" every time I try to connect to a SQL Server 2000 database.

    Some background:

    My development machine is running Win XP with both the 1.0 and 1.1
    Frameworks installed, and the server is a Win 2K server with both the
    1.0 and 1.1 Frameworks installed. I fully installed VS .Net 2003 on
    my development machine. I don't reference any outside dlls and I am
    NOT using anything like ByteFX, NUnit, or Oracle.

    I don't see that much out there on this subject unless someone is
    having trouble with NUnit, ByteFX, or Oracle, so here are the steps
    I've taken:

    1. Although, I don't have to do this on development machine, I
    followed the suggestion of the "Side-by-Side Execution of the .Net
    Framework" article on MSDN and on the ISAPI Filter tabe in IIS on the
    server, I added the aspnet_filter.dll from the
    \Microsoft.Net\Frameworks\v.1.1.4322 directory.

    2. I made sure to make minor modifications to all the forms in my
    project, so Visual Studio would update the underlying .resx file for
    each form and make sure that all the "type" data for both the "data"
    and the "resheader" sections were updated to show
    "...version=1.0.5000.0..." and the "resheader" version is updated to
    1.3.

    3. Checked all the properties of my references, and all of the
    non-Crystal ones say 1.0.5000.0 with a runtime version of v1.1.4322.
    I removed and re-added all of the Crystal references, and checked them
    and they all said the same thing: runtime version v1.0.3705 and
    version 9.1.5000.0. I was concerned about the "runtime version"
    property showing the old framework, but the one Crystal report I have
    that doesn't take any data from the SQL server database works just
    fine when deployed on the server.

    I addition, there's another issue I'm having that I can't find a
    soloution to anywhere. When I put my project it into release mode and
    then build the setup project, it no longer adds the InstMsiA.Exe and
    the InstMsiW.Exe bootstrappers to the Release directory like it used
    to with VS .Net 2002. I thought getting the Visual Studio .Net 2003
    Bootstrapper Plugin would help, but all it does now is add the
    dotnetfx redistributable and not instmsia or instmisw. I even tried
    removing and rebuilding the setup project from scratch. Was the
    ability to create those 2 files taken out of Visual Studio .Net 2003?

    Thanks in advance.
    Flynn the User, Apr 6, 2004

  2. Flynn the User

    Claire Streb Guest

    Regarding the missing instmsia.exe and instmsiw.exe files, perhaps the
    following might help you:

    1) Read the help topic "Build, Configuration Properties, Deployment
    Project Properties Dialog Box"

    2) http://www.csharp-station.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1700

    Claire Streb, Apr 23, 2004