Can I uninstall .NET 1.0 and 1.1 from Windows 2003 Server?

Alan Silver

Hello,

Sorry if this is slightly OT, but I reckon there would be folks here who
would know...

I have a Windows 2003 Server box, SP4 and .NET 2.0 installed. Trouble is
that it also has .NET versions 1.0 and 1.1 installed. I would just
ignore them, but occasionally one or two of the web sites on the machine
seem to set themselves to the wrong version, and this causes errors. I
have no idea why or how this happens, but it does happen from time to
time.

I would like to remove 1.0 and 1.1 completely as all my sites use 2.0.
What's the best way to go about this?

TIA

Mark Rae [MVP]

Alan Silver

"Mark Rae [MVP]" said:
AFAIK, the latest SP for Windows 2003 Server is SP2:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/windowsserver/bb463273.aspx

Do you mean Windows 2000...?

No, I meant Windows 2003. I just installed SQL Server on a machine, and
put SP4 for that in. I got the wrong number when typing the SP for
Windows ;-)

So yes, it's Windows 2003 with SP2.
I must admit I've never tried, as there is absolutely nothing whatever
to be gained by doing this, other than a bit of hard disk space...

Well, as I explained, I *do* have something to gain, namely a lack of
errors caused by the mysterious version changing gremlin in my machine!

So, do you know a way of doing it? Only 2.0 shows up in the list of
things to uninstall, presumably as 1.0 and 1.1 came with the OS.

Juan T. Llibre

You don't need to physically uninstall them, only unregister them.

drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705 is only a stub directory.

Its funcionality is disabled in W2K3 and, who knows, maybe you'll find a use
for .Net 1.1 down the line, so you shouldn't uninstall .Net 1.1 physically.

What you can do is run, from a command window in this directory :
drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322

aspnet_regiis -u

That will unregister .Net 1.1 in IIS, leaving you with
only the .Net Framework 2.0 registered in IIS.

That will, effectively, do what you want to do.

If you feel the need to confirm this, run

aspnet_regiis -lv

*before* you run the aspnet_regiis -u command and *after* you run the aspnet_regiis -u command.

You'll find that, the first time, you have .Net 1.1 registered, but the second time it won't be registered.

Also, after you run that command, you will only be able to see the 2.0.50727
version in the ASP.NET tab in the IIS properties for all your applications,
and all your applications will default to ASP.NET 2.0.

If that's what you want...go ahead and do that.

Alan Silver

Juan T. Llibre said:
You don't need to physically uninstall them, only unregister them.

drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.0.3705 is only a stub directory.

Its funcionality is disabled in W2K3 and, who knows, maybe you'll find a use
for .Net 1.1 down the line, so you shouldn't uninstall .Net 1.1 physically.

OK, if I can disable it without uninstalling it, I don't mind. My main
interest is in it not being available to my friendly version-changing
gremlin!

If that's what you want...go ahead and do that.

Can't say I'm desperate to do it, but I can't see any other way around
the problem. I have never found any reports of this bug, and it's so
elusive that it's impossible to track down. Unfortunately, its effects
are fairly serious.

Thanks for the help