    Thanks in advance for any suggestion,
    Sergio
    , Feb 4, 2007

  2. On Feb 5, 3:33 am, "" <>

    *

    >..but different bad things happen when I try to open the
    > html file from a web browser:

    I am completely not astounded.

    > -If I use Opera, it starts OK, but then the applet never seems to get
    > the focus. The applet must do things when I push a key, but pressing
    > the key only affects the browser. For example, if I press the space
    > bar, the scrollbar of the browser advances. How can I make the applet
    > get the focus? Clicking on it with the mouse does not work apparently.

    Sun never bothered to specify, or even suggest,
    what should happen for the keyboard focus for
    an applet in a web page (with or without other
    applets).

    As a result, any behaviour is 'OK'.

    > -If I use Internet Explorer (IE 7), the APPLET tag is not
    > recognized... Why? I cannot even find an option to see the Java
    > console? Is it somewhere?

    May be the Eolas patent thing, but I doubt it..
    In any case, there is a simple answer to both
    problems...

    > Thanks in advance for any suggestion,

    Launch the applet using web start, and the
    focus will be on the applet, since it is
    displayed uising the ..* applet viewer.

    The applet completely avoids getting caught
    up in the applet/browser/VM interaction
    problem 'of the hour'.

    Here is an example of web start launching
    an applet.
    <http://www.physci.org/jws/#jtest>

    HTH

    Andrew T.