Problems with ASP.NET and IIS

Alan M Dunsmuir

On my previous machine (Win XPPro, SP2) I had both VS.NET 2003 and VS
2005 up and running. I had a continuing problem with ASP 2005 in that I
couldn't get the "start up" examples using SQL Server to work properly.

However, the machine died on me and had to be replaced. On my new
machine (again Win XPPro, SP2) I first installed VS 2005, but in ASP.NET
couldn't even get a "Hello World" Web application to work, due to build
errors.

I checked with IIS and discovered that the Default Web Site was waving
an error flag. The diagnostics told me that this was due to a clash with
another application for port 80. I could not identify which other
application was causing this, so I changed IIS's port to 81, and the
error flag went away. However, I was still unable to get a clean build
of an ASP 2005 application. (It says that some required file - I believe
a component of the .NET Framework - cannot be found.)

So I uninstalled VS 2005 and the .NET Framework 2.0, and installed
VS.NET 2003. The IDE here won't even allow me to start a new ASP.NET
project, saying that VS has identified that the .NET Framework 1.1 isn't
running on the specified Web server.

How on earth do I get out of this mess?

What has gone wrong with the IIS/.NET/VS installations on this machine,
and how do I correct it?

Kevin Spencer

Your first major mistake was, when you found out that Port 80 was in use by
something other than your Default web site, instead of figuring out what was
occupying Port 80 and fixing that, you changed the port number of your
Default web site. That is the point you have to go back to, and that is what
you need to fix.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
Professional Numbskull

Show me your certification without works,
and I'll show my certification
*by* my works.

Alan M Dunsmuir

Kevin Spencer said:
Your first major mistake was, when you found out that Port 80 was in use
by something other than your Default web site, instead of figuring out
what was occupying Port 80 and fixing that, you changed the port
number of your Default web site. That is the point you have to go back to,
and that is what you need to fix.

Well, the (Microsoft authored) message explaining the error (I think it
was a KB article) clearly stated that to resolve the problem I had to
either (a) find the other application using port 80, and change that or
(b) change the port used by IIS instead.

How do I set about finding which other application is using port 80?

Guest

Alan,

The mention of your Skype name leads me to conclude that the conflict is
between Skype and IIS. Try shutting off Skype and then starting IIS. The
problem gets resolved on my development machine.

Juan T. Llibre

If Skype is grabbing port 80,
you need to prevent Skype from grabbing it, because it's IIS's default port.

In the Skype menu : Tools, Options, Connection,
and uncheck "Use port 80 and 443 as alternatives for incoming connections".

That will allow IIS to use its default port...and Skype will work, too.