Problems with IIS

Chris

This is a bit of an IIS question but I am not sure if this is related to my
installation of VS Pro.

I usually use Visual Studio 2005, which has it's own built in web server. I
want to start using IIS. It is IIS 5 on XP Pro SP 2 and IE 7. However when I
type in either http://localhost/test.asp (or default.aspx to test .net) or
127.0.0.1/test.asp I get the following error

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
Most likely causes:
You are not connected to the Internet.
The website is encountering problems.
There might be a typing error in the address.

I can ping the localhost, I have tried it in firefox and I have tried
switching off the friendly errors and any firewalls but to no avail, can
anyone help? Could it be something to do with the order IIS and VS have been
installed. I had problems in work and ended up reinstalling IIS and then the
..net framework but I was getting specific error messages in this case.
Regards, Chris.

Chris

Wierd. When I set it to work offline, it works. I would have thought it
would be the other way around. Any ideas, it would be nice to surf local and
remote pages at the same time without ticking thr box, Regards, Chris.

Chris

I'm setting a fresh root folder in IIS and it now no longer works. This is
very frustrating! :) I am sure it is something very basic.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
That doesn't make sense.
IE's "Work Offline" option, in the "File" menu should be *unselected* for "online browsing" to work.

Make sure it *is* unselected.

Could this be a permissions problem due to XP SP2 ?
That's not unheard of...

You're using VS 2005/ASP.NET 2.0, right ?

Do you know what account ASP.NET runs as ?
If you're running XP SP2, it should be YourMachineName\ASPNET, if you're not impersonating.

Try running : from a command window in the .Net Framework directory:
Drive:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 :

aspnet_regiis -u

and following that:

aspnet_regiis -i

Then, run

aspnet_regiis -GA YourMachineName\ASPNET

Then, try to access your ASP.NET page.