Problems with gems and Ruby 1.8.7

Henrique Testa

Hi all,

I have ruby 1.8.7 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 72) [universal-darwin10.0]
installed in my Snow Leopard Preview Release. Rails runs OK, but I can't
install some gems with native extensions. The following error appear:

$ sudo gem install bluecloth
Password:
ERROR: Error installing bluecloth:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby
extconf.rb
mkmf.rb can't find header files for ruby at
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/ruby.h

Gem files will remain installed in
/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/bluecloth-2.0.5 for inspection.
Results logged to
/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/bluecloth-2.0.5/ext/gem_make.out

The same error happens with many gems. I tried already update rubygem
(the installed version is 1.3.4), but the problem persist. Any ideas?

Thank you!

Henrique

Henrique Testa

I decided to install another version of ruby at /usr/local/ruby-1.8.6
and point executables (erb, gem, ruby, etc.) to the new ruby dir. All
went right, and ruby (1.8.6) and gem are working. But when I try to
install any gem, I get:

$ sudo gem install rails
Password:
dyld: NSLinkModule() error
dyld: Symbol not found: _ENGINE_load_4758cca
Referenced from:
/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/i686-darwin10.0.0b4/openssl.bundle
Expected in: flat namespace

Trace/BPT trap

It seems an error unrelated to the one before. Now I can't install any
gem :/
Any hint?

Thank you!

Eric Hodel

[...]

You also have the dev tools installed?

Henrique Testa

Eric said:
You also have the dev tools installed?

Thank you for the response. Yes, I had... but since I didn't find a
solution, I reinstalled Leopard. It is better wait for the final release
of Snow Leopard :/

Henrique

Ryan Wilson

Henrique said:
Thank you for the response. Yes, I had... but since I didn't find a
solution, I reinstalled Leopard. It is better wait for the final release
of Snow Leopard :/

Henrique

Hi I'm having the same problem, latest copy of xcode, dev tools and snow
leopard but I cant get some of the gems to build. It seems like gem
can't find the header files for Ruby...Any ideas?

Installing ri documentation for diff-lcs-1.1.2...
Installing RDoc documentation for diff-lcs-1.1.2...
ERROR: Error installing dnssd:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby
extconf.rb
mkmf.rb can't find header files for ruby at
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/ruby.h

Gem files will remain installed in
/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/dnssd-0.7.1 for inspection.
Results logged to
/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/dnssd-0.7.1/ext/gem_make.out
Successfully installed echoe-3.1.1

Henrique Testa

Hi I'm having the same problem, latest copy of xcode, dev tools and snow
leopard but I cant get some of the gems to build. It seems like gem
can't find the header files for Ruby...Any ideas?

Installing ri documentation for diff-lcs-1.1.2...
Installing RDoc documentation for diff-lcs-1.1.2...
ERROR: Error installing dnssd:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby
extconf.rb
mkmf.rb can't find header files for ruby at
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/ruby.h

Gem files will remain installed in
/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/dnssd-0.7.1 for inspection.
Results logged to
/Library/Ruby/Gems/1.8/gems/dnssd-0.7.1/ext/gem_make.out
Successfully installed echoe-3.1.1

Well, you can install other Ruby. I followed this tutorial and it worked
great:

http://www.dcmanges.com/blog/install-multiple-versions-of-ruby-on-osx-leopard

The problem with header files were gone. But the problem with
openssh.bundle I couldn't solve.

Eric Hodel

Hi I'm having the same problem, latest copy of xcode, dev tools and
snow
leopard but I cant get some of the gems to build. It seems like gem
can't find the header files for Ruby...Any ideas?

Installing ri documentation for diff-lcs-1.1.2...
Installing RDoc documentation for diff-lcs-1.1.2...
ERROR: Error installing dnssd:

/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/bin/ruby
extconf.rb
mkmf.rb can't find header files for ruby at
/System/Library/Frameworks/Ruby.framework/Versions/1.8/usr/lib/ruby/
ruby.h

If this file really doesn't exist you should submit a bug report to
Apple.

Elliott Pogue

Installing the Xcode that's bundled with the Snow Leopard developer seed
fixed this problem for me.

Hope this helps.

Lasse Bunk

Elliott said:
Installing the Xcode that's bundled with the Snow Leopard developer seed
fixed this problem for me.

Hope this helps.

Also worked for me :) Thanks.

BR, Lasse

Jeff Burrows

Just wanted to confirm that I had to do this same installation of xcode
with a Macbook Pro purchased in December 2010.

Michael L.

And the beat goes on...

I just had to do the same thing for a new MacBook Pro purchased
just a couple weeks ago. Good news is, this still works. Bad news is,
it's takes 9GB if you go whole hog and install xcode+iOS tools.

Tadas

Michael L. wrote in post #982264:
Bad news is, it's takes 9GB if you go whole hog and install xcode+iOS tools.

You don't actually need the iOS tools which take up most of that space.