Problems with JS turned off?

Randy Webb

Jeff said:
| Richard Cornford wrote:
| > Jeff North wrote:
| >
| >>Richard Cornford wrote:
| >
| > <snip>

| > <snip>
| >
| >>You're a small man with a small mind.
| >>Welcome to my moron file.
| >

| > Ahh, abuse.
| >

| >>[plonk]
| >

| > So much easier than reasoned debate ;-)
|
| One has to posess the ability to reason before s/he can engage in a
| reasoned debate, do they not?
|
| So far, Jeff has not shown that he possesses that ability.

Why waste time with trolls such as Richard Cornford.

If your impression of Richard is that he is a troll, then your
impression of Richard is not very well. I don't always agree with what
he says. I read it with an open mind but he tends to be more theoretical
than I care to be about scripting. But he is far from being a troll.

I have actually read every article in this thread, and even some of them
twice.
Me: One can only aspire to such heights that one's scripts will work
in all browsers. That's why you post here, isn't it?
RC: No it isn't.

That is one thing I totally agree with. The pedantic issue aside that
you can't write a lot of dHTML scripts to work in "all" browsers because
it's impossible - some browsers just don't have the mechanism to do it.
But, I don't post here in the attempt to make my scripts work in all
browsers. I post (and read) here in an effort to do two things:

1) Share what I do know so that other people can hopefully gain from my
headaches of beating my head against the wall to get something to
"work". The site it references is no longer up but there is an old
thread in c.l.j along the lines of "dynamically loading js files" where
I was attempting to load a .js file on the fly.

http://groups-beta.google.com/group...namically+load+js+file&hl=en#994847caed57098a

Geez what a URL.....

In the end, I knew I couldn't make it work on "all browsers" but maybe
the attempt helped someone else.

2) To learn. There are still things about this language that I don't
know/understand but I read/post here in the attempts to learn more. Its
all about the learning process to me (mostly anyway).

<OT>
Can anybody tell me how to find out who I registered the DNS with for
www.hikksworld.com so I can change it to point to my new IP Address? In
my infinite wisdom, all of my records were on a PC that crashed when I
moved.
</OT>

Jeff North

| <OT>
| Can anybody tell me how to find out who I registered the DNS with for
| www.hikksworld.com so I can change it to point to my new IP Address? In
| my infinite wisdom, all of my records were on a PC that crashed when I
| moved.
| </OT>

I've checked on:
http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl
http://www.networksolutions.com
http://www.betterwhois.com
http://www.regdiscount.com/
http://www.whois.sc/hikksworld.com

and all state that this name is available (presumably meaning not
registered).

You might find something of use on this page:
http://www.dnsstuff.com/

Jeff North

| Jeff North wrote:
[snip]

| > Me: One can only aspire to such heights that one's scripts will work
| > in all browsers. That's why you post here, isn't it?
| > RC: No it isn't.
|
| That is one thing I totally agree with. The pedantic issue aside that
| you can't write a lot of dHTML scripts to work in "all" browsers because
| it's impossible - some browsers just don't have the mechanism to do it.

That is why I wrote "One can only aspire to"
http://www.m-w.com
Main Entry: as·pire
1 : to seek to attain or accomplish a particular goal

In the sense of "to seek to attain".

Main Entry: seek
2 a : to go in search of : look for b : to try to discover
5 : to make an attempt

Sorry about all the dictionary definitions but I just don't want my
meaning to be miscontrued.
| But, I don't post here in the attempt to make my scripts work in all
| browsers. I post (and read) here in an effort to do two things:
|
| 1) Share what I do know so that other people can hopefully gain from my
| headaches of beating my head against the wall to get something to
| "work".
[snip]

| 2) To learn. There are still things about this language that I don't
| know/understand but I read/post here in the attempts to learn more. Its
| all about the learning process to me (mostly anyway).

My philosophy is: the day you stop learning is the day you stop being
alive.

Michael Winter

Richard Cornford

Jeff said:
That is why I wrote "One can only aspire to"
http://www.m-w.com
Main Entry: as·pire
1 : to seek to attain or accomplish a particular goal

In the sense of "to seek to attain".

Main Entry: seek
2 a : to go in search of : look for b : to try to discover
5 : to make an attempt

Sorry about all the dictionary definitions but I just don't
want my meaning to be miscontrued.
<snip>

It is ironic that a thread containing so many unanswered requests for
clarification of meaning should feature a dictionary definition of a
word that very few would misunderstand.

However, the subject of an aspiration deserves some evaluation of its
worth. For a human, aspiring to unpowered flight through the flapping or
whirling of the arms would be folly, while for most, aspiring to bipedal
locomotion would be superfluous.

It remains the definition of 'works', as used in this context, that
determines the value of the aspiration.

Richard.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Matt said:
This is a good illustration of the problem.
My browser shows nothing at all, because it doesn't understand text/tcl
script, yet it is script enabled so it doesn't show the <noscript> content
either.

To make that sound reasonable, you have yet to show a user agent that
does support the (standardized) `script' element but does not support
JavaScript 1.0 or an ECMAScript implementation. There is certainly use
for the `noscript' element which is why it is still included in recent
specifications, even in the XHTML 1.1 Scripting Module; to say that a
quality Web document should not contain it is simply ... short-sighted
reasoning.

PointedEars

Richard Cornford

Thomas said:
To make that sound reasonable, you have yet to show a user
agent that does support the (standardized) `script' element
but does not support JavaScript 1.0 or an ECMAScript
implementation.

It may be of little practical importance that NOSCRIPT elements would
behave disastrously badly on most browsers encountering the above HTML,
because nobody in their right mind would be attempting to script a web
browser with text/tcl, the extremely unsatisfactory results achieved
with the example HTML on script enabled browsers does illustrate one way
in which NOSCRIPT elements are completely inadequate for their intended
purpose.
There is certainly use for the `noscript' element

Are you in a position to suggest one where _all_ outcomes, scripted or
not, are satisfactory and noscript elements are actually necessary?
which is why it is still included in recent
specifications, even in the XHTML 1.1 Scripting Module;

Don't expect the authors of the XHTML specs to understand browser
scripting. They are quite capable of repeating the errors of the past.
to say that a quality Web document should not
contain it is simply ... short-sighted reasoning.

No, it is an appreciation that anything that needs to be presented when
scripting is unavailable will also need to be presented when scripting
is available but the browser doesn't support the features required by
the script. And the actions taken to cover that possibility will
inevitably satisfy the situation where scripting is unavailable. This
renders the NOSCRIPT element redundant.

Richard.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Richard said:
It may be of little practical importance that NOSCRIPT elements would
behave disastrously badly on most browsers encountering the above HTML,
because nobody in their right mind would be attempting to script a web
browser with text/tcl,

Correct. See?
the extremely unsatisfactory results achieved with the example HTML on
script enabled browsers does illustrate one way in which NOSCRIPT
elements are completely inadequate for their intended purpose.

The example attempts to prove the inadequacy of the `noscript' element,
but, due to its design, it fails to do that. The example is bogus since,
as you correctly stated, it is highly improbable that such a script
element using text/tcl or another non-JavaScript/JScript/ECMAScript (in
the following: JS) client-side scripting language will be contained in
an (X)HTML document; on the other hand, it is highly probable (just because
of historical events) and there exist numerous examples that JS is the
default and, equally probable and existing (see Mozilla/4.0+ without
plugin or extension for example), the *only* supported client-side
scripting language.

Thus, so far the `noscript' element has only been proven to be inadequate
when used with another script language than the default scripting language
-- dare I say JS? -- of the used UA.
Are you in a position to suggest one where _all_ outcomes, scripted or
not, are satisfactory and noscript elements are actually necessary?

I'm glad you ask. Yes, I do think I am:

<http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~thla-in/ufpdb/individu/data.htm>

(This URI will probably become unusable in the future; then
use <http://pointedears.de/ufpdb/individu/data.htm> instead.
Don't mind minimum feature tests and some deprecated code,
I wrote that at a previous stage of knowledge.)

- With client-side script support enabled, the script detects whether
the document is displayed within a frameset; if yes, it is attempted
to change the Banner Frame so that it contains the correct headings
for the current document in the Content Frame; if no, the headings
are written dynamically into the Content Frame document via scripting.

- With client-side script support disabled or not present, it is not
possible to determine whether the document is displayed within a
frameset or not; however, it requires headings that (obviously)
could not be included before, and so they are contained in the
block-level `noscript' element.

Not using the `noscript' element would have resulted in including
duplicate headings.
Don't expect the authors of the XHTML specs to understand browser
scripting. They are quite capable of repeating the errors of the past.

No, it is an appreciation that anything that needs to be presented when
scripting is unavailable will also need to be presented when scripting
is available

Not anything and not always. This absolutism is the core flaw of your
argument.
but the browser doesn't support the features required by the script. And
the actions taken to cover that possibility will inevitably satisfy the
situation where scripting is unavailable.

See above.
This renders the NOSCRIPT element redundant.

No, it is not.

PointedEars

Richard Cornford

Thomas said:
Correct. See?

The practical aspects of the situation do not diminish the worth of
Matt's comment. The HTML as proposed demonstrates a serious flaw in the
design of the NOSCRIPT element. And your browser that does not support
javascript but does understand and execute scripts is IE, with the
JScritp dll removed from the system and the VBScritp dll (or an
alternative) still available. maybe not a common configuration but a
possible one.
The example attempts to prove the inadequacy of the
`noscript' element,

It does no such thing. That example is straight from the HTML spec. It
attempts to illustrate the use of the NOSCRIPT element (and since it is
from the spec it is theoretically the correct use of the NOSCRIPT
element that it attempts to illustrate).
but, due to its design, it fails to do that.

It certainly does fail, but it reveals a design flaw in the NOSCRIPT
element.
The example is bogus since, as you correctly stated,
it is highly improbable that such a script element
using text/tcl or another non-JavaScript/JScript/ECMAScript
(in the following: JS) client-side scripting language will
be contained in an (X)HTML document;

The W3C have never mandated that ECMAScript is to be the only scripting
language to be supported in Internet UAs. If they did there would be no
point in having TYPE attributes on SCRIPT elements, or specifying a
default language for intrinsic events. From their point of view it makes
perfect sense to produce examples that use various scripting languages.
It is just a pity that they seem to have overlooked the consequences of
this policy then it comes to NOSCRIPT elements.

Thus, so far the `noscript' element has only been proven
to be inadequate when used with another script language
than the default scripting language -- dare I say JS?
-- of the used UA.

No, it has been pointed out that NOSCRIPT elements contribute nothing
when scripting is enabled but the browser's environment does not support
the features required by the script. It is that consideration that has
the real practical implications.
<snip>

| <script type="text/javascript">
| <!--
| if ((parent.frames.length == 0) || OP) {
| document.write(
| "<h2>STARFLEET PERSONNEL FILE<\/h2>",
| "<h3>DATA<\/h3>"
| );
| } else if(parent.frames.ufpdb_banner)
| parent.frames.ufpdb_banner.RotateUFPLogo(true);
| //-->
| </script>
| <noscript>
| <h2>STARFLEET PERSONNEL FILE</h2>
| <h3>DATA</h3>
| </noscript>

Runtime Error: "parent.frames is not an object" Line 24.

The script errors-out so the document.write is never executed and
because scripting is enabled the NOSCRIPT element is never used.

That does not qualify as a satisfactory outcome by your own standards.

And, yes there are scriptable browsers that do not support frames, and
so have no reason to implement a - frames - collection (indeed, not
implementing that object is a good suggestion to the script author that
the browser does not support frames).

And so, as I have been saying all along, when scripting is supported but
the browser does not support the features required by the scrip the
NOSCRIPT element is not sufficient to address the problems and instead
it is necessary do carry out proper feature detection and design for
clean degradation.
Not using the `noscript' element would have resulted
in including duplicate headings.

In what sense are the two sets of H2 and H3 elements (plus whatever
would have been in the other frame) not duplicate headings?

Not anything and not always. This absolutism is the core
flaw of your argument.

(Pot - Kettle)

I have asked for examples of non-trivial scripts that demonstrate value
in the NOSCRIPT element. They are not forthcoming. And your example was
pretty trivial in attempting nothing more than document.write, yet it
still stuffed up and made my point for me instead.
See above.

What I saw was an illustration of the point I was making.
No, it is not.

:)

Richard.

Matt Kruse

Thomas said:
The example attempts to prove the inadequacy of the `noscript'
element, but, due to its design, it fails to do that. The example is
bogus since, as you correctly stated, it is highly improbable that
such a script element using text/tcl or another
non-JavaScript/JScript/ECMAScript (in the following: JS) client-side
scripting language will be contained in
an (X)HTML document;

Granted, the argument is about theory more than practice.

Speaking from a logical and conceptual standpoint, the example illustrates
that the evaluation of <noscript> content is a binary condition, and the
ability of a browser to execute a <script> tag on the same page is not
necessarily the opposite of that condition.

In every browser I can think of, content of a <script
type="text/javascript"> tag and content of a <noscript> tag will always be
mutually exclusive. However, in theory, that doesn't necessary need to be
the case. For example, if <script type="text/vbscript"> is included in the
page, IE will show the script, and other browsers will show nothing at all.

Since there is a way to develop a page such that non-script content is only
shown if the browser lacks the ability to execute the exact script written,
that's preferred. Even if <noscript> would work in all the practical cases
you can think of.

ASM

drhowarddrfine said:
I'm working on a web site that could use some control using js but am
concerned about what problems I may have with potential users having
their js turned off. Has anyone had any serious problems with this
sort of thing? I know some of these potential users are with big
companies and am wondering if anyone had real problems with that.

JS has only to be use as an help

You must have your page working if it is disabled
or at least give a link to go to plan of site

<noscript>
Your javascript is disabled, please enable it
or go <a href="plan.htm">here</a>
</noscript>

Jeff North

| drhowarddrfine wrote:
| > I'm working on a web site that could use some control using js but am
| > concerned about what problems I may have with potential users having
| > their js turned off. Has anyone had any serious problems with this
| > sort of thing? I know some of these potential users are with big
| > companies and am wondering if anyone had real problems with that.
|
| JS has only to be use as an help
|
| You must have your page working if it is disabled
| or at least give a link to go to plan of site
|
| <noscript>
| Your javascript is disabled, please enable it
| or go <a href="plan.htm">here</a>
| </noscript>

Are you trying to start another argument here LOL
(see previous postings for 'history').

Randy Webb

ASM said:
JS has only to be use as an help

You must have your page working if it is disabled
or at least give a link to go to plan of site

<noscript>
Your javascript is disabled, please enable it
or go <a href="plan.htm">here</a>
</noscript>

script tries to execute, creates an error.
NOSCRIPT is not rendered, JS is enabled, but JS is temporarily disabled
due to the user saying they don't want to continue executing scripts.

Your solution doesn't solve that problem.

ASM

Jeff said:
Are you trying to start another argument here LOL
(see previous postings for 'history').

Lost, I didn't see there were so much answers.
Sorry, I'll try to do no more do it :-/

ASM

Randy said:
script tries to execute, creates an error.
NOSCRIPT is not rendered, JS is enabled, but JS is temporarily disabled

Ha! it's that the trouble ?
Is there really a problem if user decides to go away ?
Certainly he is not really interested.

or ...
do smaller (or non bugged) scripts on several pages ?

Randy Webb

ASM said:
Ha! it's that the trouble ?

Yes, but I already said that.
Is there really a problem if user decides to go away ?

Interesting philosophy. "My webpage is broken so people who can't use it
leave and spend the money elsewhere".
Certainly he is not really interested.

Or, s/he has enough sense to change to a website that employs competent
programmers.
or ...
do smaller (or non bugged) scripts on several pages ?

Nah, just put the content on the page, have JS change it.