problems with onclick solved so newest version is online for comments

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Richard, Sep 16, 2003.

  1. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Sep 16, 2003

  2. Richard

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:

    >www.1-large-world.com/stargate/map3.html
    >
    >Notice no tables?
    >and no frames!

    It doesn't validate for starters.

    Even with JavaScript enabled the image swap doesn't work in Opera
    7.11, Netscape 4.8 or Netscape 7.1. Not good. This may be caused by
    the strange image map, or the bad nesting of elements.

    Why do you image map circle hotspots have radii expressed in negative
    pixels? What on earth does that mean?

    You use the ISMAP attribute, but you don't seem to have a server side
    image map. So why use it?

    The links rely on JavaScript which is just stupid. When JS is disabled
    the image swap won't work, but there's no reason why the links
    shouldn't work. Also, no alt attributes.

    Is the blue background supposed to be narrower than the stargate
    image?

    You're mixing mm and px units in your CSS. There's no way that you can
    predict the relationship between those two units on any given display.

    I've fixed the worst problems at
    http://steve.pugh.net/test/stargate.html

    (The one thing I haven't done is added the extra code Netscape 4 needs
    for the image swap to work.)

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>
    Steve Pugh, Sep 16, 2003

  3. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:>>

    > "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:

    >>www.1-large-world.com/stargate/map3.html
    >>
    >>Notice no tables?
    >>and no frames!

    > It doesn't validate for starters.

    > Even with JavaScript enabled the image swap doesn't work in Opera
    > 7.11, Netscape 4.8 or Netscape 7.1. Not good. This may be caused by
    > the strange image map, or the bad nesting of elements.

    > Why do you image map circle hotspots have radii expressed in negative
    > pixels? What on earth does that mean?

    I was using a map maker and that was how they did it.

    > You use the ISMAP attribute, but you don't seem to have a server side
    > image map. So why use it?

    I dunno. Source code was copied from the software.

    > The links rely on JavaScript which is just stupid. When JS is disabled
    > the image swap won't work, but there's no reason why the links
    > shouldn't work. Also, no alt attributes.

    I'm no big fan of alt attributes. Why does a blind person surf the web?

    > Is the blue background supposed to be narrower than the stargate
    > image?

    Narrower?

    > You're mixing mm and px units in your CSS. There's no way that you can
    > predict the relationship between those two units on any given display.

    > I've fixed the worst problems at
    > http://steve.pugh.net/test/stargate.html

    > (The one thing I haven't done is added the extra code Netscape 4 needs
    > for the image swap to work.)

    Saw what you did on the swap routine. Does seem to clean it up a bit.
    I placed the mapping stuff within the DIV because I wasn't sure if it would
    work outside of it or not.
    Now that I see that it does, I'll do it that way from now on.
    Helps to clean up the basic coding a tad.
    Now if you don't mind, take the page down because you're stealing the images
    from my site and that cuts into my bandwidth.
    And if you don't mind, let me do my own work.

    Richard, Sep 16, 2003
  4. Richard wrote:

    > I'm no big fan of alt attributes. Why does a blind person surf the web?

    Why does anyone surf the web? To buy things? To find out information? To
    pass the time?

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    playing://semisonic/all_about_chemistry/02_bed.ogg
    Toby A Inkster, Sep 16, 2003
  5. Richard pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:

    > I'm no big fan of alt attributes. Why does a blind person surf the web?

    To get news? Listen to music? Do research for a paper they are writing?

    Why would you want to treat a blind person any differently than a sighted
    person?

    > And if you don't mind, let me do my own work.

    Uhoh...

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Sep 16, 2003
  6. Richard wrote:

    > I'm no big fan of alt attributes. Why does a blind person surf the
    > web?
    > And if you don't mind, let me do my own work.

    /confiscates Richards shovel

    I think you've dug deep enough now.

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com
    William Tasso, Sep 16, 2003
  7. Richard

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:
    >Steve Pugh wrote:
    >
    > > Why do you image map circle hotspots have radii expressed in negative
    > > pixels? What on earth does that mean?

    >I was using a map maker and that was how they did it.
    >
    > > You use the ISMAP attribute, but you don't seem to have a server side
    > > image map. So why use it?

    >I dunno. Source code was copied from the software.

    Don't use tools unless you know what they're doing.

    > > The links rely on JavaScript which is just stupid. When JS is disabled
    > > the image swap won't work, but there's no reason why the links
    > > shouldn't work. Also, no alt attributes.

    >I'm no big fan of alt attributes.

    I'm not a big fan of people who discriminate.

    >Why does a blind person surf the web?

    Why do you surf the web?

    > > Is the blue background supposed to be narrower than the stargate
    > > image?

    >Narrower?

    Yes.
    In IE6, Opera 7 and Netscape 7 the images spilled out of the blue box.

    >And if you don't mind, let me do my own work.

    Even if you don't want to learn other people might.

    Steve Pugh, Sep 16, 2003
  8. Richard

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:
    >Steve Pugh wrote:
    > > "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:
    > >>www.1-large-world.com/stargate/map3.html
    > >>

    > > I've fixed the worst problems at
    > > http://steve.pugh.net/test/stargate.html

    >Now if you don't mind, take the page down because you're stealing the images
    >from my site and that cuts into my bandwidth.

    I've now copied the images to my server so that other people will have
    a chance to learn from this.

    If you're worried about the bandwidth you should look into optimising
    the images. 83kb for the main image is way too much. I would give you
    some hints, but you've said don't want any more help.

    Steve Pugh, Sep 16, 2003
  9. Richard

    rf Guest

    "Steve Pugh" <> wrote in message
    > "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:
    > >Steve Pugh wrote:
    > > >>
    > > > I've fixed the worst problems at
    > > > http://steve.pugh.net/test/stargate.html

    > >Now if you don't mind, take the page down because you're stealing the

    images
    > >from my site and that cuts into my bandwidth.

    > I would give you
    > some hints, but you've said don't want any more help.

    Wouldn't work anyway. I told him to use the HREF attribute instead of
    onclick a day or two ago, to no avail.

    Oh well, well not have to worry about it anymore :)

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 17, 2003
  10. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Steve Pugh wrote:>>

    > "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:
    >>Steve Pugh wrote:
    >>
    > >> Why do you image map circle hotspots have radii expressed in negative
    > >> pixels? What on earth does that mean?

    >>I was using a map maker and that was how they did it.
    >>
    > >> You use the ISMAP attribute, but you don't seem to have a server side
    > >> image map. So why use it?

    >>I dunno. Source code was copied from the software.

    > Don't use tools unless you know what they're doing.

    I tried it without the - sign and it did not appear to work correctly so I
    left it because it did work.

    > >> The links rely on JavaScript which is just stupid. When JS is disabled
    > >> the image swap won't work, but there's no reason why the links
    > >> shouldn't work. Also, no alt attributes.

    >>I'm no big fan of alt attributes.

    > I'm not a big fan of people who discriminate.

    >>Why does a blind person surf the web?

    > Why do you surf the web?

    > >> Is the blue background supposed to be narrower than the stargate
    > >> image?

    >>Narrower?

    > Yes.
    > In IE6, Opera 7 and Netscape 7 the images spilled out of the blue box.

    I just downloaded NS7 and the page and images loaded just fine.

    >>And if you don't mind, let me do my own work.

    > Even if you don't want to learn other people might.

    Just recall where you got the idea from and who created it.
    If you try to claim copyright on it, I'll sue you for every damn candian
    peso you have.
    Which you couldn't do anyway, because the ring thing came from a game
    someone else wrote.
    I may do my own version another day.

    Richard, Sep 17, 2003
  11. Richard

    rf Guest

    "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote in message
    > Steve Pugh wrote:>>

    > >>And if you don't mind, let me do my own work.

    > > Even if you don't want to learn other people might.

    > Just recall where you got the idea from and who created it.
    > If you try to claim copyright on it, I'll sue you for every damn candian
    > peso you have.

    You pathetic little idiot. Do you think that *any* judge in the world would
    pay *any* attention to you trying to sue somebody over *those* images,
    (whose copyright is probably held by whomever owns stargate) , expecially
    when they were borrowed in an attempt to *help* you? . Do you understand?
    Give you asssistance and guidance.

    > Which you couldn't do anyway, because the ring thing came from a game
    > someone else wrote.

    Ah, so you stole it in the first place. You yourself are in breach of
    copyright. ROFLMAO!

    > I may do my own version another day.

    Ok, lets see it... I'm still waiting...

    BTW you should change your handle right now. You are unlikely to get any
    further assistance using the current one.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Sep 17, 2003
  12. Richard

    Mark Parnell Guest

    rf wrote:

    > BTW you should change your handle right now. You are unlikely to get
    > any further assistance using the current one.

    I just feel sorry for all the other poor, unsuspecting "Richard"s out there
    who may not get help because they happen to choose the same handle.

    --

    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Sep 17, 2003
  13. Richard

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Richard" <anom@anom> wrote:
    >Steve Pugh wrote:
    > >

    > > In IE6, Opera 7 and Netscape 7 the images spilled out of the blue box.

    >I just downloaded NS7 and the page and images loaded just fine.

    http://steve.pugh.net/test/n7-screenshot.jpg

    The blue box is 125mm wide.
    The image is 524px wide and starts 45px from the edge of the blue box.

    Which is wider 125 lemmings or 569 crab cakes?

    I know you don't want any help, but seeing as I already said this:

    >Just recall where you got the idea from and who created it.

    Which idea was that?
    Please spell it out exactly so I can be sure to avoid using it without
    credit.

    Image map hot spots in a circle? Seen that.
    Changing the image in the middle of the circle? Seen that.
    Ripping off MGM's intellectual property? Seen that.
    Building an inaccessible, inflexible web site? Seen that.

    Also please give your full name and address so that I can send you the
    royalties from the fortune that I'm bound to make by ripping of your
    amazing ideas.

    Steve Pugh, Sep 17, 2003
  14. Richard

    Alan D-W Guest

    > I'm no big fan of alt attributes. Why does a blind person surf the web?
    >
    > Now if you don't mind, take the page down because you're stealing the

    images
    > from my site and that cuts into my bandwidth.
    > And if you don't mind, let me do my own work.

    Beep beep beeeeeeeeep : Donkey alert.
    Alan D-W, Sep 17, 2003
  15. In article <>, anom@anom says...
    > Steve Pugh wrote:>>
    > > The links rely on JavaScript which is just stupid. When JS is disabled
    > > the image swap won't work, but there's no reason why the links
    > > shouldn't work. Also, no alt attributes.

    > I'm no big fan of alt attributes. Why does a blind person surf the web?

    Why do idiots? You seem eminently qualified to answer that.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://hyweljenkins.co.uk/
    Hywel Jenkins, Sep 18, 2003