problems with onclick solved so newest version is online for comments

Steve Pugh

Richard said:

It doesn't validate for starters.

Even with JavaScript enabled the image swap doesn't work in Opera
7.11, Netscape 4.8 or Netscape 7.1. Not good. This may be caused by
the strange image map, or the bad nesting of elements.

Why do you image map circle hotspots have radii expressed in negative
pixels? What on earth does that mean?

You use the ISMAP attribute, but you don't seem to have a server side
image map. So why use it?

The links rely on JavaScript which is just stupid. When JS is disabled
the image swap won't work, but there's no reason why the links
shouldn't work. Also, no alt attributes.

Is the blue background supposed to be narrower than the stargate
image?

You're mixing mm and px units in your CSS. There's no way that you can
predict the relationship between those two units on any given display.

I've fixed the worst problems at
http://steve.pugh.net/test/stargate.html

(The one thing I haven't done is added the extra code Netscape 4 needs
for the image swap to work.)

Steve

Richard

Steve Pugh wrote:>>
It doesn't validate for starters.
Even with JavaScript enabled the image swap doesn't work in Opera
7.11, Netscape 4.8 or Netscape 7.1. Not good. This may be caused by
the strange image map, or the bad nesting of elements.
Why do you image map circle hotspots have radii expressed in negative
pixels? What on earth does that mean?

I was using a map maker and that was how they did it.

You use the ISMAP attribute, but you don't seem to have a server side
image map. So why use it?

I dunno. Source code was copied from the software.
The links rely on JavaScript which is just stupid. When JS is disabled
the image swap won't work, but there's no reason why the links
shouldn't work. Also, no alt attributes.

I'm no big fan of alt attributes. Why does a blind person surf the web?

Is the blue background supposed to be narrower than the stargate
image?
Narrower?

You're mixing mm and px units in your CSS. There's no way that you can
predict the relationship between those two units on any given display.
(The one thing I haven't done is added the extra code Netscape 4 needs
for the image swap to work.)

Saw what you did on the swap routine. Does seem to clean it up a bit.
I placed the mapping stuff within the DIV because I wasn't sure if it would
work outside of it or not.
Now that I see that it does, I'll do it that way from now on.
Helps to clean up the basic coding a tad.
Now if you don't mind, take the page down because you're stealing the images
from my site and that cuts into my bandwidth.
And if you don't mind, let me do my own work.

Toby A Inkster

Richard said:
I'm no big fan of alt attributes. Why does a blind person surf the web?

Why does anyone surf the web? To buy things? To find out information? To
pass the time?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Richard pounced upon this pigeonhole and pronounced:
I'm no big fan of alt attributes. Why does a blind person surf the web?

To get news? Listen to music? Do research for a paper they are writing?

Why would you want to treat a blind person any differently than a sighted
person?

And if you don't mind, let me do my own work.

Uhoh...

William Tasso

Richard said:

I'm no big fan of alt attributes. Why does a blind person surf the
web?
And if you don't mind, let me do my own work.

/confiscates Richards shovel

I think you've dug deep enough now.

Steve Pugh

Richard said:
I was using a map maker and that was how they did it.

I dunno. Source code was copied from the software.

Don't use tools unless you know what they're doing.
I'm no big fan of alt attributes.

I'm not a big fan of people who discriminate.
Why does a blind person surf the web?

Why do you surf the web?
Narrower?

Yes.
In IE6, Opera 7 and Netscape 7 the images spilled out of the blue box.
And if you don't mind, let me do my own work.

Even if you don't want to learn other people might.

Steve

Steve Pugh

Richard said:
Now if you don't mind, take the page down because you're stealing the images
from my site and that cuts into my bandwidth.

I've now copied the images to my server so that other people will have
a chance to learn from this.

If you're worried about the bandwidth you should look into optimising
the images. 83kb for the main image is way too much. I would give you
some hints, but you've said don't want any more help.

Steve

rf

Steve Pugh said:
I would give you
some hints, but you've said don't want any more help.

Wouldn't work anyway. I told him to use the HREF attribute instead of
onclick a day or two ago, to no avail.

Oh well, well not have to worry about it anymore :)

Cheers
Richard.

Richard

Steve Pugh wrote:>>
Don't use tools unless you know what they're doing.

I tried it without the - sign and it did not appear to work correctly so I
left it because it did work.

I'm not a big fan of people who discriminate.
Why do you surf the web?

Yes.
In IE6, Opera 7 and Netscape 7 the images spilled out of the blue box.

I just downloaded NS7 and the page and images loaded just fine.

Even if you don't want to learn other people might.

Just recall where you got the idea from and who created it.
If you try to claim copyright on it, I'll sue you for every damn candian
peso you have.
Which you couldn't do anyway, because the ring thing came from a game
someone else wrote.
I may do my own version another day.

rf

Richard said:
Steve Pugh wrote:>>

Just recall where you got the idea from and who created it.
If you try to claim copyright on it, I'll sue you for every damn candian
peso you have.

You pathetic little idiot. Do you think that *any* judge in the world would
pay *any* attention to you trying to sue somebody over *those* images,
(whose copyright is probably held by whomever owns stargate) , expecially
when they were borrowed in an attempt to *help* you? . Do you understand?
Give you asssistance and guidance.
Which you couldn't do anyway, because the ring thing came from a game
someone else wrote.

Ah, so you stole it in the first place. You yourself are in breach of
copyright. ROFLMAO!
I may do my own version another day.

Ok, lets see it... I'm still waiting...

BTW you should change your handle right now. You are unlikely to get any
further assistance using the current one.

Cheers
Richard.

Mark Parnell

rf said:
BTW you should change your handle right now. You are unlikely to get
any further assistance using the current one.

I just feel sorry for all the other poor, unsuspecting "Richard"s out there
who may not get help because they happen to choose the same handle.

Steve Pugh

Richard said:
I just downloaded NS7 and the page and images loaded just fine.

http://steve.pugh.net/test/n7-screenshot.jpg

The blue box is 125mm wide.
The image is 524px wide and starts 45px from the edge of the blue box.

Which is wider 125 lemmings or 569 crab cakes?

I know you don't want any help, but seeing as I already said this:
Just recall where you got the idea from and who created it.

Which idea was that?
Please spell it out exactly so I can be sure to avoid using it without
credit.

Image map hot spots in a circle? Seen that.
Changing the image in the middle of the circle? Seen that.
Ripping off MGM's intellectual property? Seen that.
Building an inaccessible, inflexible web site? Seen that.

Also please give your full name and address so that I can send you the
royalties from the fortune that I'm bound to make by ripping of your
amazing ideas.

Steve

Alan D-W

Richard said:
I'm no big fan of alt attributes. Why does a blind person surf the web?

Now if you don't mind, take the page down because you're stealing the images
from my site and that cuts into my bandwidth.
And if you don't mind, let me do my own work.

Beep beep beeeeeeeeep : Donkey alert.