Problems with postscript from canvas in rubytk

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Len Lawrence, Apr 15, 2008.

  1. Len Lawrence

    Len Lawrence Guest

    Yet another post about paddb. Paddb is a homegrown application of
    mine which I have been using in various incarnations for 24 years, for
    at least 12 years as a Tcl/Tk program. One of its functions is to
    print a set of address labels from a canvas via the postscript
    function. That has worked extremely well for the last 12 years but
    having made the decision to move from C to Ruby I have spent a month
    recoding the whole thing in rubytk. The GUI works but the PostScript
    output is not as expected. There seem to be two problems; one is a
    failure to find certain fonts, and second to use sizes for the typeface
    which do not agree with those requested. I can just about cope with
    the first bug by postprocessing the Postscript page before printing.
    It is a nasty hack but unavoidable. How to deal with the second is an
    order of magnitude more difficult since it involves remembering all
    the details of the labels and then searching for the correct item in
    the Postscript output. At this stage I feel it is necessary to delve
    into the ruby-tk code to find out what is going wrong. However I have
    been unable to locate the source, even on RubyForge. Googling returns
    17600 matches but so far none seem to be relevant. Any idea where I
    can find the code or how I could formulate a bug report?

    Len
    Len Lawrence, Apr 15, 2008

  2. Len Lawrence wrote:
    > At this stage I feel it is necessary to delve
    > into the ruby-tk code to find out what is going wrong. However I have
    > been unable to locate the source, even on RubyForge.

    It's in the ruby tarball.

    http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=426

    Joel VanderWerf, Apr 15, 2008

  3. Len Lawrence

    Len Lawrence Guest

    On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:23:35 -0500, Joel VanderWerf wrote:

    > Len Lawrence wrote:
    >> At this stage I feel it is necessary to delve
    >> into the ruby-tk code to find out what is going wrong. However I have
    >> been unable to locate the source, even on RubyForge.

    > It's in the ruby tarball.
    >
    > http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=426

    Thanks - bookmarked that. Now for some digging.

    len
    Len Lawrence, Apr 15, 2008
  4. Len Lawrence wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Apr 2008 11:23:35 -0500, Joel VanderWerf wrote:
    >
    >> Len Lawrence wrote:
    >>> At this stage I feel it is necessary to delve
    >>> into the ruby-tk code to find out what is going wrong. However I have
    >>> been unable to locate the source, even on RubyForge.

    >> It's in the ruby tarball.
    >>
    >> http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=426
    >>

    > Thanks - bookmarked that. Now for some digging.

    Good luck, and I hope you can keep us posted. I'd like to generate
    postscript from tk canvas as well.

    Joel VanderWerf, Apr 15, 2008