Problems with special characters (I suppose it is 'locales')

Francesco Moi

Hello.

I'm using 'XML::parser' and when parsing an XML file with special
characters (Spanish), I get some problems with them:
'á' is converted to 'á' (for example)

I don't know if I must change 'locales' on the System (Linux
RedHat). And I do not know how to change it.

I would be extremely obliged if anybody had any experience.

Michel Rodriguez

Francesco said:
I'm using 'XML::parser' and when parsing an XML file with special
characters (Spanish), I get some problems with them:
'á' is converted to 'á' (for example)

I don't know if I must change 'locales' on the System (Linux
RedHat). And I do not know how to change it.

I would be extremely obliged if anybody had any experience.

XML::parser, like most other XML parsers, converts all strings to UTF-8,
you need to convert them back to latin-1 (I suppose), using Encode or
Text::Iconv or Unicode::*

See the Perl-XML FAQ: http://perl-xml.sourceforge.net/faq/#encodings

This is part of the documentation of the module BTW:

Handlers
Char (Expat, String)

This event is generated when non-markup is recognized. The
non-markup sequence of characters is in String. A single
non-markup sequence of characters may generate multiple calls to
this handler. Whatever the encoding of the string in the original
document, this is given to the handler in UTF-8.