Procedure to request adding a module to the standard library - orinitiating a vote on it

Discussion in 'Python' started by Helmut Jarausch, Aug 7, 2012.

  1. Hi,

    I'd like to request adding the module

    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/regex

    to Python's standard library in the (near) future or to even replace the
    current 're' module by it.

    Personally I'm in need for fuzzy regular expressions and I don't see how
    to do this easily and efficiently without this module.

    For a long term project I also need some "guarantee" that this
    functionality will exist in future.

    So, is there a (formal) procedure for such a request or for initiating
    some sort of vote on it?

    I know there is a "Benevolent Dictator" for Python.
    Should I try to contact him personally?

    Many thanks for a hint,

    Helmut Jarausch

    RWTH Aachen University
    Germany
    Helmut Jarausch, Aug 7, 2012

  2. Helmut Jarausch

    Peter Otten Guest

    Helmut Jarausch wrote:

    > I'd like to request adding the module
    >
    > http://pypi.python.org/pypi/regex
    >
    > to Python's standard library in the (near) future or to even replace the
    > current 're' module by it.
    >
    > Personally I'm in need for fuzzy regular expressions and I don't see how
    > to do this easily and efficiently without this module.
    >
    > For a long term project I also need some "guarantee" that this
    > functionality will exist in future.

    There has been a discussion about that particular module, and it would have
    gone into 3.3 if it were not for the low "bus count" (only the author having
    working knowledge of the code).

    > So, is there a (formal) procedure for such a request or for initiating
    > some sort of vote on it?
    >
    > I know there is a "Benevolent Dictator" for Python.
    > Should I try to contact him personally?

    I don't think that will help. From PEP 408:

    """
    As part of the same announcement, Guido explicitly accepted Matthew
    Barnett's 'regex' module [4] as a provisional addition to the standard
    library for Python 3.3 (using the 'regex' name, rather than as a drop-in
    replacement for the existing 're' module).
    """
    Peter Otten, Aug 7, 2012

  3. Re: Procedure to request adding a module to the standard library- or initiating a vote on it

    On 07/08/2012 11:13, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I'd like to request adding the module
    >
    > http://pypi.python.org/pypi/regex
    >
    > to Python's standard library in the (near) future or to even replace the
    > current 're' module by it.
    >
    > Personally I'm in need for fuzzy regular expressions and I don't see how
    > to do this easily and efficiently without this module.
    >
    > For a long term project I also need some "guarantee" that this
    > functionality will exist in future.
    >
    > So, is there a (formal) procedure for such a request or for initiating
    > some sort of vote on it?
    >
    > I know there is a "Benevolent Dictator" for Python.
    > Should I try to contact him personally?
    >
    > Many thanks for a hint,
    >
    > Helmut Jarausch
    >
    > RWTH Aachen University
    > Germany

    My understanding is that the main stumbling block is there's no one
    committed to being the maintainer of the code. If that commitment is
    not made, and I belive it's required to be several (10?) years, then the
    code may never get into the standard library. I'll happily stand
    corrected if anyone knows any better.

    --
    Cheers.

    Mark Lawrence.
    Mark Lawrence, Aug 7, 2012
  4. Re: Procedure to request adding a module to the standard library -orinitiating a vote on it

    On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 13:15:29 +0200, Peter Otten wrote:

    > I don't think that will help. From PEP 408:
    >
    > """
    > As part of the same announcement, Guido explicitly accepted Matthew
    > Barnett's 'regex' module [4] as a provisional addition to the standard
    > library for Python 3.3 (using the 'regex' name, rather than as a drop-in
    > replacement for the existing 're' module).
    > """

    What is a "provisional addition"? Python-3.3 (20120708) doesn't have
    such a module.

    Many thanks,
    Helmut.
    Helmut Jarausch, Aug 7, 2012
  5. Re: Procedure to request adding a module to the standard library- or initiating a vote on it

    On 07/08/2012 15:47, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
    > On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 13:15:29 +0200, Peter Otten wrote:
    >
    >> I don't think that will help. From PEP 408:
    >>
    >> """
    >> As part of the same announcement, Guido explicitly accepted Matthew
    >> Barnett's 'regex' module [4] as a provisional addition to the standard
    >> library for Python 3.3 (using the 'regex' name, rather than as a drop-in
    >> replacement for the existing 're' module).
    >> """

    > What is a "provisional addition"? Python-3.3 (20120708) doesn't have
    > such a module.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Helmut.

    This is a new concept, as an example see
    http://bugs.python.org/issue14814#msg164795 which refers to the
    implementation of PEP 3144, the ipaddress module.

    --
    Cheers.

    Mark Lawrence.
    Mark Lawrence, Aug 7, 2012
  6. Helmut Jarausch

    Peter Otten Guest

    Helmut Jarausch wrote:

    > On Tue, 07 Aug 2012 13:15:29 +0200, Peter Otten wrote:
    >
    >> I don't think that will help. From PEP 408:
    >>
    >> """
    >> As part of the same announcement, Guido explicitly accepted Matthew
    >> Barnett's 'regex' module [4] as a provisional addition to the standard
    >> library for Python 3.3 (using the 'regex' name, rather than as a drop-in
    >> replacement for the existing 're' module).
    >> """

    > What is a "provisional addition"?

    My understanding is that Guido agreed for it to be added under a different
    name (i. e. as regex, not re) and with no guarantees that it will remain in
    Python versions above 3.3.

    > Python-3.3 (20120708) doesn't have such a module.

    Indeed. Guido allowed adding the module, but some core devs remained
    skeptical and no one put in the legwork to add it. It may still be added in
    3.4 if a core developer is willing to familiarise with the codebase and
    promises to help with maintenance, but the chances seem low by now.
    Peter Otten, Aug 7, 2012
  7. Helmut Jarausch

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 8/7/2012 6:13 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:

    > I'd like to request adding the module
    > http://pypi.python.org/pypi/regex
    > to Python's standard library in the (near) future

    As near as I can tell, the author is lukewarm about the prospect.

    To respond the general question:

    The author of a module should be warm to hot about the idea and must be
    willing to move development into the stdlib source tree and conform to
    Python's release schedule, which may be too slow for actively developed
    modules.

    (If the module wraps a well-known and maintained external C library, the
    wrapper must go into the source tree. Then the docs says that the stdlib
    module wraps something we are not responsible for.)

    There should be community support for the module as one of the best of
    its kind.

    Someone has to write a PEP. There must be developer support to review
    the code, api, and documentation. Author must allow changes. (The new
    ipaddress module has had changes to all three, including considerable
    doc expansion. Some were to make it accessible to beginners rather than
    only ip experts, others to make it conform to current 3.x stdlib
    standards and best practices. For instance, 2.x style list returns were
    changed to 3.x style iterator returns. )

    There must be commitment for the author or substitute for maintenance.

    > For a long term project I also need some "guarantee" that this
    > functionality will exist in future.

    That is the point of the last requirement.

    > So, is there a (formal) procedure for such a request or for initiating
    > some sort of vote on it?

    'voting' is fuzzy. Community support. Some support from developers. Best
    no strong opposition from a senior core developer, or at least more that
    one. Final decision is always by GvR, but he often delegates decisions
    to other developers, especially in an area of his non-expertise.

    > I know there is a "Benevolent Dictator" for Python.
    > Should I try to contact him personally?

    No. If there is author and community support, the next step is a PEP or
    discussion on python-ideas list (which Guido reads even if he does not
    write much).

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy
    Terry Reedy, Aug 7, 2012