Processing Images: Need good library for various image formats

Discussion in 'C++' started by polemon, Jul 18, 2007.

  1. polemon

    polemon Guest

    Hi!

    I'd like to manipulate Images of various types (PNG, JPEG, GIF, BMP, maybe more) with a C++ program.
    Now I've found the Cimg library, but before diving deeper into that lib, I'd like to have some suggestions
    on other librarys for image processing.

    Those libs, don't need to be elaborate or something, resizing and cutting the image into smaler parts would
    be sufficient.

    However, I'd like that lib to be able to handle a variety of image-types.

    Any suggestions?

    regards
    --polemon

    --
    -EOF-

    polemon, Jul 18, 2007

  2. polemon

    BobR Guest

    polemon <> wrote in message...
    > Hi!
    > I'd like to manipulate Images of various types (PNG, JPEG, GIF, BMP, maybe

    more) with a C++ program.
    > Now I've found the Cimg library, but before diving deeper into that lib,

    I'd like to have some suggestions
    > on other librarys for image processing.
    > Those libs, don't need to be elaborate or something, resizing and cutting
    > the image into smaler parts would be sufficient.
    > However, I'd like that lib to be able to handle a variety of image-types.
    > Any suggestions?

    wxWidgets has some nice classes for images. Easy to use.

    wxWidgets URL: http://www.wxwidgets.org

    --
    Bob R
    POVrookie

    BobR, Jul 19, 2007

  3. On 2007-07-19 00:46, polemon wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I'd like to manipulate Images of various types (PNG, JPEG, GIF, BMP, maybe more) with a C++ program.
    > Now I've found the Cimg library, but before diving deeper into that lib, I'd like to have some suggestions
    > on other librarys for image processing.
    >
    > Those libs, don't need to be elaborate or something, resizing and cutting the image into smaler parts would
    > be sufficient.
    >
    > However, I'd like that lib to be able to handle a variety of image-types.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Don't know any libraries that support that, but there are a number of
    libraries that can read in images of various types and return a neutral
    format (like a bitmap) and then you just have to find a library which
    can operate on those. Try googling for libpng, libgif, libjpeg etc.

    --
    Erik Wikström

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=, Jul 19, 2007
  4. polemon

    xucaen Guest

    On Jul 18, 6:46 pm, polemon <> wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > I'd like to manipulate Images of various types (PNG, JPEG, GIF, BMP, maybe more) with a C++ program.
    > Now I've found the Cimg library, but before diving deeper into that lib, I'd like to have some suggestions
    > on other librarys for image processing.
    >
    > Those libs, don't need to be elaborate or something, resizing and cutting the image into smaler parts would
    > be sufficient.
    >
    > However, I'd like that lib to be able to handle a variety of image-types.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > regards
    > --polemon
    >
    > --
    > -EOF-

    Hi,

    SDL with SDL_image works well for all those file types you mentioned,
    plus many more.

    Jim

    xucaen, Jul 19, 2007
  5. polemon

    zeppe Guest

    polemon wrote:

    > Those libs, don't need to be elaborate or something, resizing and cutting the image into smaler parts would
    > be sufficient.
    >
    > However, I'd like that lib to be able to handle a variety of image-types.

    Dear polemon,

    I'm using ImageMagick, more specifically the C++ library Magick++. It
    can handle a LOT of formats
    (http://www.imagemagick.org/script/formats.php), it's also quite a
    powerful library, but you can cropjust ignore the things you don't need.
    The only thing, it can be tricky to use under windows (Visual Studio),
    even if it is actually possible.

    Regards,

    Zeppe

    zeppe, Jul 22, 2007