    Presumably This is all controlled by defines you setup in your
    project?

    But why can we not use main for these 'other' program types?

    Angus, Apr 25, 2010

  2. On 25 Apr, 21:09, Angus <> wrote:
    > If I want to write a text based C program I use int main etc as my
    > program entry point.  But if I want to write for aexample a GUI
    > application for some platform then I would use a different entry point
    > - eg WinMain for MS Windows.
    >
    > I had a look in crt0.c file included with my compiler and the code
    > calls mainCRTStartup or WinMainCRTStartup dependent on some defines.
    > Presumably  This is all controlled by defines you setup in your
    > project?
    >
    > But why can we not use main for these 'other' program types?

    ask Microsoft! I'm afraid the details of this are all very OS
    specific. You nedd to ask your question on a Microsoft programming
    group. I've found this one helpful

    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32

    and check out MSDN

    Nick Keighley, Apr 25, 2010

  3. Angus

    bartc Guest

    "Angus" <> wrote in message
    > If I want to write a text based C program I use int main etc as my
    > program entry point. But if I want to write for aexample a GUI
    > application for some platform then I would use a different entry point
    > - eg WinMain for MS Windows.
    >
    > I had a look in crt0.c file included with my compiler and the code
    > calls mainCRTStartup or WinMainCRTStartup dependent on some defines.
    > Presumably This is all controlled by defines you setup in your
    > project?
    >
    > But why can we not use main for these 'other' program types?

    For Win32, you have a choice of WinMain() or main(). This can be for console
    or GUI programs.

    --
    Bartc

    bartc, Apr 25, 2010
  4. Angus <> writes:
    > If I want to write a text based C program I use int main etc as my
    > program entry point. But if I want to write for aexample a GUI
    > application for some platform then I would use a different entry point
    > - eg WinMain for MS Windows.
    >
    > I had a look in crt0.c file included with my compiler and the code
    > calls mainCRTStartup or WinMainCRTStartup dependent on some defines.
    > Presumably This is all controlled by defines you setup in your
    > project?
    >
    > But why can we not use main for these 'other' program types?

    A quick Google search for "WinMain" shows that it has a substantially
    different set of parameters than the C standard main() function.
    If you're interested in the details, the first Google hit for
    WinMain has what appears to be a good description.

    To use main() for such programs, the system would have to provide
    another mechanism for obtaining that information. Microsoft apparently
    decided it would be more convenient to provide a different entry point.

    Other systems may have similar considerations. (Unix-like systems
    usually don't, because C and Unix were developed together.)

    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, Apr 25, 2010
  5. Angus

    Rui Maciel Guest

    Angus wrote:

    > If I want to write a text based C program I use int main etc as my
    > program entry point. But if I want to write for aexample a GUI
    > application for some platform then I would use a different entry point
    > - eg WinMain for MS Windows.

    The reason for that is that MS's APIs are poorly designed, in order to lead the clueless
    newbie to believe that writing windows apps is some sort of strangely magical act.

    <snip/>
    > But why can we not use main for these 'other' program types?

    But we can and we do. For example, let's take Qt. It's an API which is well designed and
    puts in shame any of MS's attempts at a GUI API. Yet, it relies on a main() function which
    may be similar to the following (incomplete) code:

    <code>
    int main(int argc, char *argv[])
    {
    QApplication app(argc, argv);

    MainWindow mainWin;
    mainWin.show();

    return app.exec();
    }
    </code>

    Rui Maciel, Apr 25, 2010
  6. Angus

    Uno Guest

    Keith Thompson wrote:
    > Angus <> writes:
    >> If I want to write a text based C program I use int main etc as my
    >> program entry point. But if I want to write for aexample a GUI
    >> application for some platform then I would use a different entry point
    >> - eg WinMain for MS Windows.
    >>
    >> I had a look in crt0.c file included with my compiler and the code
    >> calls mainCRTStartup or WinMainCRTStartup dependent on some defines.
    >> Presumably This is all controlled by defines you setup in your
    >> project?
    >>
    >> But why can we not use main for these 'other' program types?

    > A quick Google search for "WinMain" shows that it has a substantially
    > different set of parameters than the C standard main() function.
    > If you're interested in the details, the first Google hit for
    > WinMain has what appears to be a good description.
    >
    > To use main() for such programs, the system would have to provide
    > another mechanism for obtaining that information. Microsoft apparently
    > decided it would be more convenient to provide a different entry point.
    >
    > Other systems may have similar considerations. (Unix-like systems
    > usually don't, because C and Unix were developed together.)

    Using proper MS tools, the entry point is trivial, literally.

    I spent the first 15 years on the MS bandwagon, and I think open source
    is the new juggernaut.

    C pretends not to know anything about filehandles, so the WinMain call
    is outside C's purview. When I first questioned Keith along these
    lines, I was amazed to find out how much my MSVC4++ resembled his ISO C.

    Cheers,
    --
    Uno

    Uno, Apr 26, 2010
  7. Angus

    spinoza1111 Guest

    On Apr 26, 8:45 am, Uno <> wrote:
    > Keith Thompson wrote:
    > > Angus <> writes:
    > >> If I want to write a text based C program I use int main etc as my
    > >> program entry point.  But if I want to write for aexample a GUI
    > >> application for some platform then I would use a different entry point
    > >> - eg WinMain for MS Windows.

    > >> I had a look in crt0.c file included with my compiler and the code
    > >> calls mainCRTStartup or WinMainCRTStartup dependent on some defines.
    > >> Presumably  This is all controlled by defines you setup in your
    > >> project?

    > >> But why can we not use main for these 'other' program types?

    > > A quick Google search for "WinMain" shows that it has a substantially
    > > different set of parameters than the C standard main() function.
    > > If you're interested in the details, the first Google hit for
    > > WinMain has what appears to be a good description.

    > > To use main() for such programs, the system would have to provide
    > > another mechanism for obtaining that information.  Microsoft apparently
    > > decided it would be more convenient to provide a different entry point.

    > > Other systems may have similar considerations.  (Unix-like systems
    > > usually don't, because C and Unix were developed together.)

    > Using proper MS tools, the entry point is trivial, literally.
    >
    > I spent the first 15 years on the MS bandwagon, and I think open source
    > is the new juggernaut.

    You got that right. Free stuff made by willing, happy slaves fo de
    corporation, wif de uppity slaves who talk back "banned"? Sho' nuff,
    boss. The ruling class did NOT intend to create a class of highly
    educated programmers able to master complex systems and get paid,
    since such men and women would then turn around and start questioning
    multinational capitalism. Even Bill Gates wised up.

    Therefore, the level of programming skill today (as seen in this
    newsgroup, especially in Peter Seebach's Coding Horrors) is abominable
    by design.

    > C pretends not to know anything about filehandles, so the WinMain call
    > is outside C's purview.  When I first questioned Keith along these
    > lines, I was amazed to find out how much my MSVC4++ resembled his ISO C.

    As Dave Hansen told me at Princeton, Microsoft and IBM programmers can
    be just as smart as programmers in the DEC/unix/Linux tradition. The
    regs here think they're slick because they use Linux.

    spinoza1111, Apr 26, 2010
  8. Angus

    Phil Carmody Guest

    Uno <> writes:
    > Keith Thompson wrote:

    [SNIP - stuff about the GUI program entry point in windows]
    > Using proper MS tools, the entry point is trivial, literally.

    Using proper Unix tools, the entry point is trivial too. Trivial,
    and the same as the entry point if you were not writing a GUI
    program. I think that makes it even more trivial, personally.

    > I spent the first 15 years on the MS bandwagon, and I think open
    > source is the new juggernaut.

    Nope, MS is still the lumbering smelly thing.

    > C pretends not to know anything about filehandles, so the WinMain call
    > is outside C's purview.

    MSVC knows nothing about 'filehandles' either. If you meant 'file handles',
    then taking 'thing handle' as the term for an opaque type which carries
    enough information for another agent to operate on a unique object of
    type 'thing', then C knows as much about file handles as any other
    language, and represents them with the C type FILE*.

    Which has anything to do with WinMain, so I can't see any logic in
    your sentence at all.

    WinMain is outside C's purview precisely because it's not within
    C's purview. Pretending that it's because of some single arbitrary
    property completely unrelated to WinMain's definition is a wild
    misdirection.

    > When I first questioned Keith along these
    > lines, I was amazed to find out how much my MSVC4++ resembled his ISO
    > C.

    I'm not sure you questioned Keith cogently, and likewise doubt that
    you'd have understood his response, given the above.

    Phil
    --
    I find the easiest thing to do is to k/f myself and just troll away
    -- David Melville on r.a.s.f1

    Phil Carmody, Apr 26, 2010
  9. On 26 Apr, 01:45, Uno <> wrote:
    > Keith Thompson wrote:
    > > Angus <> writes:

    <snip>

    > I spent the first 15 years on the MS bandwagon, and I think open source
    > is the new juggernaut.

    rolls over people and crushes them to death?

    > C pretends not to know anything about filehandles, so the WinMain call
    > is outside C's purview.

    duh? What have filehandles got to do with WinMain()?

    MSDN:
    int WINAPI WinMain(
    __in HINSTANCE hInstance,
    __in HINSTANCE hPrevInstance,
    __in LPSTR lpCmdLine,
    __in int nCmdShow
    );

    > When I first questioned Keith along these
    > lines, I was amazed to find out how much my MSVC4++ resembled his ISO C.

    it's not "his ISO C" It's ISO's. Microsoft are actually quite
    conforming (to an older standard) if you press the right buttons.

    Nick Keighley, Apr 26, 2010
  10. Angus

    jacob navia Guest

    Angus a écrit :
    > If I want to write a text based C program I use int main etc as my
    > program entry point. But if I want to write for aexample a GUI
    > application for some platform then I would use a different entry point
    > - eg WinMain for MS Windows.
    >
    > I had a look in crt0.c file included with my compiler and the code
    > calls mainCRTStartup or WinMainCRTStartup dependent on some defines.
    > Presumably This is all controlled by defines you setup in your
    > project?
    >
    > But why can we not use main for these 'other' program types?

    You can use main() for GUI programs, and Microsoft has explicitely mentioned this fact since at
    least windows 95, when win32 appeared. The only difference in a GUI program and a console program is
    a bit set or unset in the executable that tells the program loader to open a console for it or not.

    All the answers you got in this goup are wrong, and do not consider this fact either because the
    people answering here are ignorants of Microsoft windows conventions, or because they do not like
    Microsoft, that they consider the evil empire.

    This bit in the executable will be set by your LINKER, not by a "define" or whatever in the crt0
    code. The linker accepts a command line option to set or not this bit. Read the documentation of
    your linker and you will find it.

    All the console programs have full access to ALL GUI functions: they can open windows, close
    windows, use sound, display video, you name it. All GUI programs can use a console by forcing the
    system to open one with AllocConsole().

    jacob navia, Apr 26, 2010
  11. Angus

    jacob navia Guest

    Keith Thompson a écrit :
    > Angus <> writes:
    >> If I want to write a text based C program I use int main etc as my
    >> program entry point. But if I want to write for aexample a GUI
    >> application for some platform then I would use a different entry point
    >> - eg WinMain for MS Windows.
    >>
    >> I had a look in crt0.c file included with my compiler and the code
    >> calls mainCRTStartup or WinMainCRTStartup dependent on some defines.
    >> Presumably This is all controlled by defines you setup in your
    >> project?
    >>
    >> But why can we not use main for these 'other' program types?

    > A quick Google search for "WinMain" shows that it has a substantially
    > different set of parameters than the C standard main() function.
    > If you're interested in the details, the first Google hit for
    > WinMain has what appears to be a good description.
    >
    > To use main() for such programs, the system would have to provide
    > another mechanism for obtaining that information. Microsoft apparently
    > decided it would be more convenient to provide a different entry point.

    This is wrong. Completely wrong since 1995. It has been 15 years that Microsoft
    explained that.

    You can use a program with an entry point like this:

    int main(void)

    and open windows, display video, and access ALL GUI functions.

    You can use a program with WinMain to open a console, use printf, etc.

    There is no differences in the capaibilities of either since win32 appeared,
    in 1995. WinMain was retained for compatibility reasons with older (16 bit) windows
    programs

    jacob navia, Apr 26, 2010
  12. Angus

    jacob navia Guest

    Rui Maciel a écrit :
    > Angus wrote:
    >
    >> If I want to write a text based C program I use int main etc as my
    >> program entry point. But if I want to write for aexample a GUI
    >> application for some platform then I would use a different entry point
    >> - eg WinMain for MS Windows.

    > The reason for that is that MS's APIs are poorly designed, in order to lead the clueless
    > newbie to believe that writing windows apps is some sort of strangely magical act.

    You are spreading misinformation. The documentation of Microsoft makes it explicit since 1995 that
    there is no difference between a console program and a GUI program. Both can open windows, display
    video, whatever.

    If you do not like microsoft it is your right. Spreading misinformation is another matter.

    http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2006/12/04/1205831.aspx

    jacob navia, Apr 26, 2010
  13. jacob navia <> writes:
    > Keith Thompson a écrit :
    >> Angus <> writes:
    >>> If I want to write a text based C program I use int main etc as my
    >>> program entry point. But if I want to write for aexample a GUI
    >>> application for some platform then I would use a different entry point
    >>> - eg WinMain for MS Windows.
    >>>
    >>> I had a look in crt0.c file included with my compiler and the code
    >>> calls mainCRTStartup or WinMainCRTStartup dependent on some defines.
    >>> Presumably This is all controlled by defines you setup in your
    >>> project?
    >>>
    >>> But why can we not use main for these 'other' program types?

    >> A quick Google search for "WinMain" shows that it has a substantially
    >> different set of parameters than the C standard main() function.
    >> If you're interested in the details, the first Google hit for
    >> WinMain has what appears to be a good description.
    >>
    >> To use main() for such programs, the system would have to provide
    >> another mechanism for obtaining that information. Microsoft apparently
    >> decided it would be more convenient to provide a different entry point.

    > This is wrong. Completely wrong since 1995. It has been 15 years that
    > Microsoft explained that.
    >
    > You can use a program with an entry point like this:
    >
    > int main(void)
    >
    > and open windows, display video, and access ALL GUI functions.
    >
    > You can use a program with WinMain to open a console, use printf, etc.
    >
    > There is no differences in the capaibilities of either since win32
    > appeared, in 1995. WinMain was retained for compatibility reasons with
    > older (16 bit) windows programs

    I'm glad to hear it. My answer was incomplete, since I didn't know
    about this additional information. But other than saying that the
    system "would have to provide another mechanism" when it has already
    done so, I fail to see what was wrong, much less "Completely wrong",
    about my response.

    Microsoft *does* provide an entry point other than the C
    standard main(). As far as I can tell (and please correct me if
    I'm mistaken), they seem to encourage the use of the WinMain()
    entry point for GUI programs, even though they also allow the
    use of main(). Presumably it can be more convenient to use
    the WinMain() entry point, since it allows for easier access to
    certain information. There's nothing wrong with that; it's simply
    an extension as explictly permitted by the C standard (C99 5.1.2.2.1
    doesn't permit it, but 4p6 does).

    Read my post again, pretending it was written by someone you respect
    rather than by me. Is it still "completely wrong"? If there are
    errors I don't know about, I'd like to know about them.

    And didn't you recently say that you never answer my posts?

    Nokia

    Keith Thompson, Apr 26, 2010
  14. Angus

    sandeep Guest

    jacob navia writes:
    > Angus a écrit :
    >> If I want to write a text based C program I use int main etc as my
    >> program entry point. But if I want to write for aexample a GUI
    >> application for some platform then I would use a different entry point
    >> - eg WinMain for MS Windows.
    >>
    >> I had a look in crt0.c file included with my compiler and the code
    >> calls mainCRTStartup or WinMainCRTStartup dependent on some defines.
    >> Presumably This is all controlled by defines you setup in your
    >> project?
    >>
    >> But why can we not use main for these 'other' program types?

    > You can use main() for GUI programs, and Microsoft has explicitely
    > mentioned this fact since at least windows 95, when win32 appeared. The
    > only difference in a GUI program and a console program is a bit set or
    > unset in the executable that tells the program loader to open a console
    > for it or not.
    >
    > All the answers you got in this goup are wrong, and do not consider this
    > fact either because the people answering here are ignorants of Microsoft
    > windows conventions, or because they do not like Microsoft, that they
    > consider the evil empire.
    >
    > This bit in the executable will be set by your LINKER, not by a "define"
    > or whatever in the crt0 code. The linker accepts a command line option
    > to set or not this bit. Read the documentation of your linker and you
    > will find it.

    Hello Jacob ~

    It is a few years since I programmed for Windows but I think you are
    mistaken about this.

    If you want to use windows, graphics, sound etc. you MUST make a GUI
    program, you CANNOT do this from a console program! And in a GUI program
    you need to use WinMain() not main() so that your program has registered
    hWnds etc.

    Regards ~

    sandeep, Apr 26, 2010
  15. Angus

    bartc Guest

    "sandeep" <> wrote in message
    > jacob navia writes:

    >>> But why can we not use main for these 'other' program types?

    >> You can use main() for GUI programs, and Microsoft has explicitely
    >> mentioned this fact since at least windows 95, when win32 appeared. The
    >> only difference in a GUI program and a console program is a bit set or
    >> unset in the executable that tells the program loader to open a console
    >> for it or not.

    > It is a few years since I programmed for Windows but I think you are
    > mistaken about this.
    >
    > If you want to use windows, graphics, sound etc. you MUST make a GUI
    > program, you CANNOT do this from a console program! And in a GUI program
    > you need to use WinMain() not main() so that your program has registered
    > hWnds etc.

    #include <windows.h>

    int main(void)
    {
    MessageBoxA(0,"Hello World!","Hello",0);

    Bartc

    bartc, Apr 26, 2010
  16. Angus

    sandeep Guest

    bartc writes:
    > "sandeep" <> wrote in message

    >>> You can use main() for GUI programs, and Microsoft has explicitely
    >>> mentioned this fact since at least windows 95, when win32 appeared.
    >>> The only difference in a GUI program and a console program is a bit
    >>> set or unset in the executable that tells the program loader to open a
    >>> console for it or not.

    >> It is a few years since I programmed for Windows but I think you are
    >> mistaken about this.
    >>
    >> If you want to use windows, graphics, sound etc. you MUST make a GUI
    >> program, you CANNOT do this from a console program! And in a GUI
    >> program you need to use WinMain() not main() so that your program has
    >> registered hWnds etc.

    > #include <windows.h>
    >
    > int main(void)
    > {
    > MessageBoxA(0,"Hello World!","Hello",0); }

    Hello Bart ~

    I am sure this will NOT work - definitely not on some older versions of
    Windows, I don't know about Vista etc.

    Regards ~

    sandeep, Apr 26, 2010
  17. Angus

    jacob navia Guest

    sandeep a écrit :
    > bartc writes:
    >> "sandeep" <> wrote in message
    >>> It is a few years since I programmed for Windows but I think you are
    >>> mistaken about this.
    >>>
    >>> If you want to use windows, graphics, sound etc. you MUST make a GUI
    >>> program, you CANNOT do this from a console program! And in a GUI
    >>> program you need to use WinMain() not main() so that your program has
    >>> registered hWnds etc.

    >> #include <windows.h>
    >>
    >> int main(void)
    >> {
    >> MessageBoxA(0,"Hello World!","Hello",0); }

    > Hello Bart ~
    >
    > I am sure this will NOT work - definitely not on some older versions of
    > Windows, I don't know about Vista etc.
    >
    > Regards ~

    This has worked since windows 95. 15 years ago.

    That did not work in windows 3.1 (16 bits), 19 years ago.

    jacob navia, Apr 26, 2010
  18. Angus

    Bill Reid Guest

    On Apr 26, 10:36 am, sandeep <> wrote:
    > bartc writes:
    > > "sandeep" <> wrote in message

    > >> It is a few years since I programmed for Windows but I think you are
    > >> mistaken about this.

    > >> If you want to use windows, graphics, sound etc. you MUST make a GUI
    > >> program, you CANNOT do this from a console program! And in a GUI
    > >> program you need to use WinMain() not main() so that your program has
    > >> registered hWnds etc.

    > > #include <windows.h>

    > > int main(void)
    > > {
    > > MessageBoxA(0,"Hello World!","Hello",0); }

    > I am sure this will NOT work - definitely not on some older versions of
    > Windows, I don't know about Vista etc.

    Well, you may be sure, but you are very wrong.
    I just compiled this very program on an old
    Windows 98 system and it basically works as
    stupidly advertised (pops up an empty "console"
    along with a Windows message box saying "Hello
    World!", both remain until the message box
    is dismissed)...stupid and pointless except
    for proving you technically incompetent...

    I DID get two warnings: one about "pre-compiled
    code in header" which is specific to a "feature"
    of my IDE, and of course, "function should return
    a value" (this of course is only there to make
    the weenies who only know the return value of
    main() feel more manly).

    ---
    William Ernest Reid

    Bill Reid, Apr 26, 2010
  19. Angus

    Mark Hobley Guest

    Angus <> wrote:
    > If I want to write a text based C program I use int main etc as my
    > program entry point. But if I want to write for aexample a GUI
    > application for some platform then I would use a different entry point
    > - eg WinMain for MS Windows.

    This provides legacy support for the "This program requires Microsoft Windows"
    message on an MSDOS operating system.

    Entry via main can display "This program requires Microsoft Windows" or take
    some other action.

    Running from Microsoft Windows, the entry point is WinMain and a different
    action is taken. (Obviously we do not want the error message if the program
    is already running in Microsoft Windows).

    Mark.

    --
    Mark Hobley
    Linux User: #370818 http://markhobley.yi.org/

    Mark Hobley, Apr 27, 2010
  20. On 26 Apr, 09:43, jacob navia <> wrote:
    > Rui Maciel a écrit :
    >
    > > Angus wrote:

    > >> If I want to write a text based C program I use int main etc as my
    > >> program entry point.  But if I want to write for aexample a GUI
    > >> application for some platform then I would use a different entry point
    > >> - eg WinMain for MS Windows.

    > > The reason for that is that MS's APIs are poorly designed, in order to lead the clueless
    > > newbie to believe that writing windows apps is some sort of strangely magical act.

    > You are spreading misinformation. The documentation of Microsoft makes it explicit since 1995 that
    > there is no difference between a console program and a GUI program. Both can open windows,
    > display video, whatever.
    >
    > If you do not like microsoft it is your right. Spreading misinformation is another matter.
    >
    > http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2006/12/04/1205831.aspx

    thanks for the link! Though I'd still MS don't exactly shount about
    this. For instance even link you gave I had to read about halfway down
    before I found how to do it. Mr Chen still seemed to consider WinMain
    to be the entry point.

    Nick Keighley, Apr 27, 2010