Programming Python 4th Edition?

Esmail

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a 4th edition of this book planned
and if so, when it might be coming out?

It looks like a good and comprehensive book but is getting a bit
outdated(?).

And I guess since I'm asking this, I might as well be asking what
your favorite, comparable Python book might be :)

Thanks,
Esmail

pruebauno

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a 4th edition of this book planned
and if so, when it might be coming out?

It looks like a good and comprehensive book but is getting a bit
outdated(?).

And I guess since I'm asking this, I might as well be asking what
your favorite, comparable Python book might be :)

Thanks,
Esmail

Make sure that Programming Python is what you want. I was very
disappointment with it (First edition) because I was expecting
something like the Perl Camel book and it isn't.

It isn't a introduction to the Python language like "Learning Python",
it doesn't work as reference like "Python in a Nutshell", it doesn't
contain short idiomatic code like "Python Cookbook". What you are left
with is different application domains and how to apply Python to them.
The book is excellent if you want to do Network, GUI, Databases, etc.
but poor if you want to learn about Python the core language. The
title of the book should be changed from "Programming Python" to
"Applied Python" so newcomers to the language don't buy it by mistake.
Even the preface says that it is about "application-level programming
in Python". The book is pretty much 4 books in 1:
System programming in Python
Tkinter programming in Python
Internet programming in Python
Database and Persistence programming in Python

In my opinion an experienced programmer that wants to learn Python the
language should buy "Nutshell" and somebody new to programming in
general "Learning". You should buy "Programming" only if you need to
develop in one of the Domains covered in the book.

Esmail

It isn't a introduction to the Python language like "Learning Python",
it doesn't work as reference like "Python in a Nutshell", it doesn't
contain short idiomatic code like "Python Cookbook". What you are left
with is different application domains and how to apply Python to them.
The book is excellent if you want to do Network, GUI, Databases, etc.
but poor if you want to learn about Python the core language. The
title of the book should be changed from "Programming Python" to
"Applied Python"

Hi,

I appreciate you taking the time to post. I agree with what you say.
I guess what appeals to me is the nearly encyclopedic nature of the
book .. and I am curious about scripting with python, so it seems to
have some good material on it (though I think there are newer modules
now available for this).

It's good to hear what others think about this book, and others too.

Cheers,
Esmail

Esmail

[...]

Nick said:
I read Programming Python as an experienced programmer and like you I
enjoyed the encyclopedic nature of it. So if it appeals to you I'd
say go for it!

The fact that it doesn't use the latest version of python isn't a
problem - python doesn't change very quickly and emphasises backwards
compatibility, even for the jump to 3.x.

Cool .. glad to hear that .. esp since all my other Python books are
even a bit more outdated :) .. the only thing that I notice missing
is coverage of the subprocess module which I will be using a fair bit
I think.

I had a 40% off coupon for our local Borders, so I couldn't pass that
up to get myself a copy of this book. No regrets.

Cheers,
Esmail

Esmail