Project design

Simon

Hi there,
my question is not specifically related to C++, but rather the
practice around it. I've started a big project in C++ and stumbled
onto a couple problems like inter-dependency, forward declarations
giving troubles later during compilation and more. All these trouble
were mostly due to the design of the files making the whole project.

I've read a bit on design patterns but I don't feel I've read enough.
I have my project in mind, as abstract as my mind can put it, and I'm
now trying to forge it onto some files for compilation and I would need
directions or recommendations for having a good, solid architecture
that will help the growth of my project (I'm now after
failed-total-rewrite # 3 !!).

My main problem is that I've always worked on fairly simple projects
using a library... now, I'm building a library along with a test
project. The project is like a virtual system that contains system
interfaces (to the graphic, to the network, etc) and will contain
built-in programs (like some sort of Ping, etc...). The number of
files is increasing quite much now that I see more clearly the Whole of
the project and I feel I should use directories to organize it. I'm
having a terrible time fighting with my makefile and gcc to compile
this properly.

I'm developping this on linux and compiling with make and gcc on
linux, windows and macosX. If you could send me a link to some
documents online that describe how to build large projects, that would
be awesome. Or since my budget is starting to allow extra expenses,
reference to a good organisationnal book would be nice too.

Thanks a lot,
Simon

PS: I'm extremely sorry if this is not the proper place to post this,
I feel I might be at the wrong place, yet my problem is linked in some
way to the syntax of C/C++ since I get lots of compile errors because
of my strange programation practice. If this is the wrong place, feel
free to toss me away (after telling me where to go please!)... ;-)