    --
    K.

    http://www.osresources.com/

    Kerberos, Oct 23, 2004

  2. Kerberos

    Randy Webb Guest

    Kerberos wrote:

    > Is it possible to prevent a javascript file from being stolen on a web
    > site?

    No.

    > I mean, not protecting 100% is ok, as long as trying to steal it takes
    > more time than coding it (took an afternoon).

    It is trivial to steal a script. IE will, generally, give it to you in
    way less time than it took you to write it.

    --
    Randy

    Randy Webb, Oct 24, 2004

  3. Kerberos

    Lee Guest

    Kerberos said:

    >Is it possible to prevent a javascript file from being stolen on a web
    >site?
    >I mean, not protecting 100% is ok, as long as trying to steal it takes
    >more time than coding it (took an afternoon).
    >Thanks,

    You seem to have posted this from an "Open Source" forum. Irony?

    Lee, Oct 24, 2004
  4. Kerberos

    Hywel Guest

    In article <>, Kerberos says...
    > Is it possible to prevent a javascript file from being stolen on a web
    > site?

    Yes. Don't link to it and put it in a directory structure that no one
    will ever guess.

    > I mean, not protecting 100% is ok, as long as trying to steal it takes
    > more time than coding it (took an afternoon).

    A whole afternoon? Wow! That must be an amazing piece of coding.

    --
    Hywel

    http://sponsorhywel.org.uk/

    Hywel, Oct 24, 2004
  5. Kerberos

    Kerberos Guest

    Em 23 Oct 2004 18:50:23 -0700, Lee <> escreveu:

    > You seem to have posted this from an "Open Source" forum. Irony?

    Actually this is not a script I'm going to give away, and it wouldn't be
    useful anyway, but I found a trade off to make it very difficult to grab.

    --
    K.

    http://www.osresources.com/

    Kerberos, Oct 24, 2004
  6. > Actually this is not a script I'm going to give away, and it wouldn't
    > be useful anyway, but I found a trade off to make it very difficult to
    > grab.

    That seems unlikely. How difficult? Would you care to place a wager on
    how long it takes any of us to grab it?

    Douglas Crockford, Oct 24, 2004
  7. "Douglas Crockford" <> wrote in message news:17f7a$417bed21$4365de06$...
    > > Actually this is not a script I'm going to give away, and it wouldn't
    > > be useful anyway, but I found a trade off to make it very difficult to
    > > grab.

    > That seems unlikely. How difficult? Would you care to place a wager on
    > how long it takes any of us to grab it?

    I'd sure like to take a stab at it. Never know we might learn something.

    --
    George Hester
    __________________________________

    George Hester, Oct 24, 2004
  8. On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 14:40:04 -0200, Kerberos <> wrote:

    [snip]

    > Actually this is not a script I'm going to give away, and it wouldn't be
    > useful anyway, [...]

    Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, but if the script wouldn't be useful to
    other people, why try to hide it? Any "protection" you apply will do
    nothing but add overheads to the script.

    Mike

    --
    Michael Winter

    Michael Winter, Oct 25, 2004
  9. Kerberos

    Kerberos Guest

    Em Sun, 24 Oct 2004 22:26:39 GMT, George Hester <>
    escreveu:

    > "Douglas Crockford" <> wrote in message
    >> > Actually this is not a script I'm going to give away, and it wouldn't
    >> > be useful anyway, but I found a trade off to make it very difficult

    >> > grab.

    >> That seems unlikely. How difficult? Would you care to place a wager on
    >> how long it takes any of us to grab it?

    > I'd sure like to take a stab at it. Never know we might learn something.

    I'm using an encryption system that converts all code into weird
    characters.
    http://www.encrypt-html.com/encrypt_javascript.htm
    Ok, you guys can reverse-engeneer it, but still, small players will just
    give up.

    --
    K.

    http://www.osresources.com/

    Kerberos, Oct 25, 2004
  10. Kerberos

    Lee Guest

    Kerberos said:

    >Em Sun, 24 Oct 2004 22:26:39 GMT, George Hester <>
    >escreveu:
    >
    >> "Douglas Crockford" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> That seems unlikely. How difficult? Would you care to place a wager on
    >>> how long it takes any of us to grab it?

    >> I'd sure like to take a stab at it. Never know we might learn something.
    >>

    >I'm using an encryption system that converts all code into weird
    >characters.

    But that means that you've also got to be sending a function that
    decrypts it. That's leaving the key in the lock. All we have to
    do is turn it.

    Lee, Oct 25, 2004