proxy caching?

csmitc606

brucie

i cant access the page as my preferred browser is not IE and i cant be
bothered to rewrite the link so it works in a browser other than IE.
if quoting pages from microsoft you should supply a link that will
work for anyone.

brucie

or i could ask in here

you could but after telling people who know better than you do that
they are wrong why would they bother?
it works fine. just some old cached images. the problem is solved.

like i said, if you feel better believing that go ahead.

csmitc606

you could but after telling people who know better than you do that
they are wrong why would they bother?

urg. where do you get this stuff. i have been begging for a polite answer
that explains how things work instead i get shite like this...

"How long is a string"

In the time you've devoted to being petty in this thread you could have
provided a mature explanation to me but instead you get off on this.

like i said, if you feel better believing that go ahead.

thanks. i was awaiting your permission.

csmitc606

brucie said:
i cant access the page as my preferred browser is not IE and i cant be
bothered to rewrite the link so it works in a browser other than IE.
if quoting pages from microsoft you should supply a link that will
work for anyone.

how petty

brucie

urg. where do you get this stuff.

i recently changed my breakfast cereal from "fruit loops" to "honey
smacks" just for a change and it has lots of kewl things printed on
the back including a drivers licence which i'm a bit pissed about
because i just renewed my licence last month.

my rego is due in a few weeks so i'm hoping i can find a box with new
papers printed on the back when i go shopping later today. i'd much
prefer that than giving the government $200.
i have been begging for a polite answer that explains how things work
instead i get shite like this...

"How long is a string"

well it doesn't matter if you like the answer or not, its still the
correct answer.
In the time you've devoted to being petty in this thread you could have
provided a mature explanation to me but instead you get off on this.

but it wouldn't have been as much fun or entertaining.

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Thu, 02 Oct 2003 00:29:55 GMT, csmitc606 is reported to
have stated:
how petty

Petty? What about people who are using *nix for example? How are they
supposed to access an IE-only site, if they don't even have the option of
using IE?

Stop being so arrogant.

Mark Parnell

Sometime around Thu, 02 Oct 2003 01:33:36 GMT, csmitc606 is reported to
have stated:
Yawn. Lookup the definition of arrogant. I think you meant selfish.

I know exactly what arrogant means, and I know that it is what I meant.
Though selfish is probably appropriate, too.
Either way I don't give a damn.

Thank you for demonstrating that it was an appropriate choice of adjective.

Toby A Inkster

csmitc606 said:
Yes. To prevent proxy servers from caching dynamically generated web
pages...

But the proxy servers have *already* cached your pages, so it won't notice
if you change the settings on your web server, because it won't contact
the web server!

However, server settings could make a difference for next time the proxy
requests a page from you.

Anyway, this debate has been going on for over 12 hours now, so hopefully
the proxy will have sent a HEAD request to your server and realised your
files have been changed.

Isofarro

csmitc606 said:
Post whore. The average length of a string in a YoYo (proxy server) is 1.2
meters.

So now you have a specific piece of string in mind. Great. which particular
proxy (plus version info) are you asking about. When you've established
that, get hold of a copy of it, check the configuration options and see
what the default timeout is set to, and consult the documentation as to
what it falls back to when not present.

Now that would be one proxy down, and countless thousands to go.

Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

And for those of you interested in more than sharpening your wit on the
lowest form of humour, I have partially found a solution to my problem.

Sounds very much like you don't actually understand the problem. Perhaps
start there first. Clue: HTTP/1.1 RFC would be a good place to start. Can
you find the link yourself, or do you need help on that too?

csmitc606

Isofarro said:
csmitc606 wrote:
Now that would be one proxy down, and countless thousands to go.

Is it really that absurd a question to ask if there is a default value used
by MOST proxy servers?! You are an azzhole.
Sounds very much like you don't actually understand the problem. Perhaps
start there first. Clue: HTTP/1.1 RFC would be a good place to start. Can
you find the link yourself, or do you need help on that too?

I understand the problem fine. I asked a simple question. If you refer to
the original post...

"typically how long these proxy caches
hold onto content before it gets flushed out? what are my options here?"

I asked for a TYPICAL setting and asked for help not sarcasm. Again, you are
an azzhole.

Thanks!