Publish - Subscribe with Web Services

David Laub

While we await the WS-Eventing specification to be realized, can I use the
asynch call back facilities in Web Services to implement a Publish -
Subscribe facility with dot net Web Services?

Thanks

David Laub

Dan Rogers

Hi David,

I think you'll find that the Asynch feature of the web service proxy is
there to allow you to make a non-blocking call to a service that returns
data in a normal request/response way. The call back that is built around
the BeginMyCall/EndMyCall type code happens within the caller side program
and is handled by spawining a separate thread to monitor the response from
the remote service. The service call itself is still synchronous in these
cases, so no, there is no direct way, short of caching on the server side
and polling on the client side, to do this today. The biggest issues you
will face, even when WS-Eventing implementations are available is dealing
with HTTP-Proxies, NATing in routers, and firewalls between the caller and
requester. Good implementations will make the polling approach invisible
to the event subscriber as an option for dealing with these issues.

Hope this helps,

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation