right way to do publish-subscribe pattern in SOA

jbp123gg

Hi,

What is the best practices way to handle a publish-subscribe pattern
with SOA?

Say we have a application which is publishing messages that some event
occurs. Now there are multiple consumers of these messages, and we want
to be able to easily add or remove consumers. What is the right way to
do this?

Ideas:
1) Create a listener pattern and somehow allow consumers to register
themselves as listeners? How would this be done with SOA?
2) Use Biztalk or some other EAI tool to handle this?
3) Use MSMQ/JMS - a message tool?

I can see all of these options as being possible. I am most interested
in a best practices pattern that does rely on EAI or a messaging tool?

Basically, can you do publish/subscribe without middleware? Would you
want to?

Thanks,

Jon Paugh

Dan Rogers

You might want to look at WS-ReliableMessaging as a start. The classic MOM
pub-sub model is not an easy thing to accomplish with web services. You
might want to make a MOM product a part of your SOA infrastructure to
simplify this. After all, there's no saying that SOA means web services.