    Linux Apache MySQL Perl/Python/PHP/Puby.

    Check out http://www.puby-lang.org and http://www.puby-docs.com for
    more info!
    Hampton, Dec 14, 2005

  2. Hampton

    James Britt Guest

    Hampton wrote:

    > With all of the buzz around "LAMP" platforms, I feel that its time that
    > Ruby got on board. As many people know, LAMP stands for Linux Apache
    > MySQL and Perl/Python/PHP. Well, the final P representing development
    > languages leaves Ruby out of the game. Instead of creating LAMR, which
    > when spelled says LAMeR, I've decided to launch Puby!
    >
    > Features
    >
    > * Exactly like Ruby
    > * Starts with a "P"
    >
    > Now, Puby can become one of the premier programming languages of LAMP:
    > Linux Apache MySQL Perl/Python/PHP/Puby.
    >
    > Check out http://www.puby-lang.org and http://www.puby-docs.com for
    > more info!

    Is April early, or late?

    James
    James Britt, Dec 14, 2005

  3. That just sounds wrong...so very wrong....

    -Justin

    Justin Collins, Dec 14, 2005
  4. Hampton

    baalbek Guest

    Hampton wrote:

    > * Exactly like Ruby
    > * Starts with a "P"
    >
    > Now, Puby can become one of the premier programming languages of LAMP:
    > Linux Apache MySQL Perl/Python/PHP/Puby.
    >
    > Check out http://www.puby-lang.org and http://www.puby-docs.com for
    > more info!

    Sorry, but Puby gives me associations to Pubic!
    baalbek, Dec 14, 2005
  5. Hampton

    Hampton Guest

    April is *always* in style.
    Hampton, Dec 14, 2005
  6. --=_alternative 0007A828882570D7_=

    I would change "LAMP" to "LAMPaRa", which is the same meaning as LAMP in
    English.

    But I think "Puby" is just wrong.

    Sam Dela Cruz, Dec 14, 2005
  7. On 2005.12.14 09:27, "Hampton" <> wrote:

    > With all of the buzz around "LAMP" platforms, I feel that its time that
    > Ruby got on board. As many people know, LAMP stands for Linux Apache
    > MySQL and Perl/Python/PHP. Well, the final P representing development
    > languages leaves Ruby out of the game. Instead of creating LAMR, which
    > when spelled says LAMeR, I've decided to launch Puby!
    >
    > Features
    >
    > * Exactly like Ruby
    > * Starts with a "P"
    >
    > Now, Puby can become one of the premier programming languages of LAMP:
    > Linux Apache MySQL Perl/Python/PHP/Puby.
    >
    > Check out http://www.puby-lang.org and http://www.puby-docs.com for
    > more info!

    Er, could we instead just try to make FLPR[1] a more popular acronym? :)

    [1] FreeBSD, lightTPD, PostgreSQL, Ruby
    Eero Saynatkari, Dec 14, 2005
  8. Hampton

    Jeff Wood Guest

    ------=_Part_28216_8610665.1134526086090

    arxs would work for me ... ( pronounced arcs )

    Apache, Ruby & x meaning uniX decendant, DBMS.match( /SQL$/ )

    OSs could be Unix, Linux, os X or any other variant of BSD ....
    DBMS could be PostgreSQL or MySQL ...

    whatdya think?

    ;)

    --
    "Remember. Understand. Believe. Yield! -> http://ruby-lang.org"

    Jeff Wood

    ------=_Part_28216_8610665.1134526086090--
    Jeff Wood, Dec 14, 2005
  9. On Dec 13, 2005, at 9:08 PM, Jeff Wood wrote:

    > arxs would work for me ... ( pronounced arcs )
    >

    > Apache, Ruby & x meaning uniX decendant, DBMS.match( /SQL$/ )
    >
    > OSs could be Unix, Linux, os X or any other variant of BSD ....
    > DBMS could be PostgreSQL or MySQL ...
    >
    > whatdya think?
    >
    > ;)
    >
    > On 12/13/05, Eero Saynatkari <> wrote:
    >>
    >> On 2005.12.14 09:27, "Hampton" <> wrote:
    >>>

    >>> With all of the buzz around "LAMP" platforms, I feel that its
    >>> time that
    >>> Ruby got on board. As many people know, LAMP stands for Linux Apache
    >>> MySQL and Perl/Python/PHP. Well, the final P representing
    >>> development
    >>> languages leaves Ruby out of the game. Instead of creating LAMR,
    >>> which
    >>> when spelled says LAMeR, I've decided to launch Puby!
    >>>
    >>> Features
    >>>
    >>> * Exactly like Ruby
    >>> * Starts with a "P"
    >>>
    >>> Now, Puby can become one of the premier programming languages of
    >>> LAMP:
    >>> Linux Apache MySQL Perl/Python/PHP/Puby.
    >>>
    >>> Check out http://www.puby-lang.org and http://www.puby-docs.com for
    >>> more info!

    >> Er, could we instead just try to make FLPR[1] a more popular
    >> acronym? :)

    >> [1] FreeBSD, lightTPD, PostgreSQL, Ruby
    >>

    > --
    > "Remember. Understand. Believe. Yield! -> http://ruby-lang.org"
    >
    > Jeff Wood

    Someone has previously mentioned on this list that LAMP REALLY stands
    for
    Linux Apache Middleware PostgreSQL

    wherein Middleware is assumed to be ruby unless otherwise indicated
    Logan Capaldo, Dec 14, 2005
  10. Hampton

    Jeff Wood Guest

    --------------050602090601050901050409

    Logan Capaldo wrote:

    > On Dec 13, 2005, at 9:08 PM, Jeff Wood wrote:
    >
    >> arxs would work for me ... ( pronounced arcs )
    >>

    >> Apache, Ruby & x meaning uniX decendant, DBMS.match( /SQL$/ )
    >>
    >> OSs could be Unix, Linux, os X or any other variant of BSD ....
    >> DBMS could be PostgreSQL or MySQL ...
    >>
    >> whatdya think?
    >>
    >> ;)

    >>> Er, could we instead just try to make FLPR[1] a more popular
    >>> acronym? :)

    >>> [1] FreeBSD, lightTPD, PostgreSQL, Ruby
    >>>

    >> --
    >> "Remember. Understand. Believe. Yield! -> http://ruby-lang.org"
    >>
    >> Jeff Wood

    > Someone has previously mentioned on this list that LAMP REALLY stands
    > for
    > Linux Apache Middleware PostgreSQL
    >
    > wherein Middleware is assumed to be ruby unless otherwise indicated

    heh, there ya go ... <flamebait> I just wish we could get the linux out
    of there ... I'd much prefer *any* bsd variant.</flamebait>

    j.

    --------------050602090601050901050409--
    Jeff Wood, Dec 14, 2005
  11. Hampton

    Bill Guindon Guest

    Bill Guindon, Dec 14, 2005
  12. Hampton

    Chad Perrin Guest

    On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 11:57:33AM +0900, Jeff Wood wrote:
    > heh, there ya go ... <flamebait> I just wish we could get the linux out
    > of there ... I'd much prefer *any* bsd variant.</flamebait>

    I'm pretty much happy with any free unix. I'm more happy with some than
    others, though. Mandrake qualifies as "other", for instance.

    Chad Perrin, Dec 14, 2005
  13. In message <>,
    Hampton <> writes
    >Features
    >
    >* Exactly like Ruby
    >* Starts with a "P"
    >
    >Now, Puby can become one of the premier programming languages of LAMP:
    >Linux Apache MySQL Perl/Python/PHP/Puby.

    :) We you made me laugh.

    Just one thing, with a name like Puby is this language a teenager?

    Stephen
    --
    Stephen Kellett
    Object Media Limited http://www.objmedia.demon.co.uk/software.html
    Stephen Kellett, Dec 14, 2005
  14. Hampton

    Jacob Fugal Guest

    On 12/13/05, Jeff Wood <> wrote:
    > arxs would work for me ... ( pronounced arcs )
    >

    > Apache, Ruby & x meaning uniX decendant, DBMS.match( /SQL$/ )
    >
    > OSs could be Unix, Linux, os X or any other variant of BSD ....
    > DBMS could be PostgreSQL or MySQL ...
    >
    > whatdya think?

    Hey, be fair to SQLite!

    Jacob Fugal
    Jacob Fugal, Dec 14, 2005
  15. Hampton

    Paul Duncan Guest

    [OT] Re: Puby 1.0 Release!

    --s2lX4GznBIrto1wi

    * Jacob Fugal () wrote:
    > On 12/13/05, Jeff Wood <> wrote:
    > > arxs would work for me ... ( pronounced arcs )
    > >

    > > Apache, Ruby & x meaning uniX decendant, DBMS.match( /SQL$/ )
    > >
    > > OSs could be Unix, Linux, os X or any other variant of BSD ....
    > > DBMS could be PostgreSQL or MySQL ...
    > >
    > > whatdya think?

    >=20
    > Hey, be fair to SQLite!
    >=20
    > Jacob Fugal

    Let's let Ruby decide:

    ----
    class Array
    def map_with_index
    inject([[], 0]) { |r, a| [r[0] << (yield a, r[1]), r[1] + 1] }[0]
    end
    alias :mwi :map_with_index
    end

    class Acronym
    TERMS =3D [
    %w{Linux OpenBSD FreeBSD NetBSD},
    %w{Apache Lighttpd},
    %w{MySQL PostGreSQL SQLite Firebird},
    %w{PHP/Perl/Python Ruby LISP},
    ]

    def self.make(*args)
    t, fmt =3D args.dup, 'and %s'
    "%s: %s" % [args.map { |s| s[0,1] }.join, (t << fmt % t.pop; t.join(', =
    '))]
    end

    def self.all(args =3D [])
    ret =3D []
    if args.size =3D=3D TERMS.size
    ret << make(*(args.mwi { |num, i| TERMS[num] }))
    else
    0.upto(TERMS[args.size].size - 1) { |i| ret << all(args << i); args.p=
    op }
    end
    ret
    end
    end

    puts Acronym.all
    ----

    Excluding non-Ruby languages gives us the following list:

    LAMR: Linux, Apache, MySQL, and Ruby
    LAPR: Linux, Apache, PostGreSQL, and Ruby
    LASR: Linux, Apache, SQLite, and Ruby
    LAFR: Linux, Apache, Firebird, and Ruby
    LLMR: Linux, Lighttpd, MySQL, and Ruby
    LLPR: Linux, Lighttpd, PostGreSQL, and Ruby
    LLSR: Linux, Lighttpd, SQLite, and Ruby
    LLFR: Linux, Lighttpd, Firebird, and Ruby
    OAMR: OpenBSD, Apache, MySQL, and Ruby
    OAPR: OpenBSD, Apache, PostGreSQL, and Ruby
    OASR: OpenBSD, Apache, SQLite, and Ruby
    OAFR: OpenBSD, Apache, Firebird, and Ruby
    OLMR: OpenBSD, Lighttpd, MySQL, and Ruby
    OLPR: OpenBSD, Lighttpd, PostGreSQL, and Ruby
    OLSR: OpenBSD, Lighttpd, SQLite, and Ruby
    OLFR: OpenBSD, Lighttpd, Firebird, and Ruby
    FAMR: FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL, and Ruby
    FAPR: FreeBSD, Apache, PostGreSQL, and Ruby
    FASR: FreeBSD, Apache, SQLite, and Ruby
    FAFR: FreeBSD, Apache, Firebird, and Ruby
    FLMR: FreeBSD, Lighttpd, MySQL, and Ruby
    FLPR: FreeBSD, Lighttpd, PostGreSQL, and Ruby
    FLSR: FreeBSD, Lighttpd, SQLite, and Ruby
    FLFR: FreeBSD, Lighttpd, Firebird, and Ruby
    NAMR: NetBSD, Apache, MySQL, and Ruby
    NAPR: NetBSD, Apache, PostGreSQL, and Ruby
    NASR: NetBSD, Apache, SQLite, and Ruby
    NAFR: NetBSD, Apache, Firebird, and Ruby
    NLMR: NetBSD, Lighttpd, MySQL, and Ruby
    NLPR: NetBSD, Lighttpd, PostGreSQL, and Ruby
    NLSR: NetBSD, Lighttpd, SQLite, and Ruby
    NLFR: NetBSD, Lighttpd, Firebird, and Ruby

    Of those, my personal favorites (and, coincidentally, the most juvenile)
    seem to be LAMR, LASR, LAFR, FAMR, FAPR, and FASR.

    --=20
    Paul Duncan <> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
    http://www.pablotron.org/ OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

    --s2lX4GznBIrto1wi

    --s2lX4GznBIrto1wi--
    Paul Duncan, Dec 15, 2005
  16. Hampton

    Paul Battley Guest

    > Is April early, or late?

    How about APRiL?

    Apache/PostgreSQL/Ruby in Linux.

    Paul.
    Paul Battley, Dec 15, 2005
  17. Hampton

    W.B.Hill Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: Puby 1.0 Release!

    On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Paul Duncan wrote:

    > Of those, my personal favorites (and, coincidentally, the most juvenile)
    > seem to be LAMR, LASR, LAFR, FAMR, FAPR, and FASR.

    Let's play with permutations, 'coz you gotta have a LARF ...
    ;-)
    W.B.Hill, Dec 15, 2005
  18. Hampton

    Paul Duncan Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: Puby 1.0 Release!

    --wl4gXchqb9PBRcq/

    * Mark Ericson () wrote:
    [snipped]
    > How about BARF - BSD Apache Ruby Firebird ?

    Now that I like! :)

    --=20
    Paul Duncan <> pabs in #ruby-lang (OPN IRC)
    http://www.pablotron.org/ OpenPGP Key ID: 0x82C29562

    --wl4gXchqb9PBRcq/

    --wl4gXchqb9PBRcq/--
    Paul Duncan, Dec 15, 2005
  19. Re: [OT] Re: Puby 1.0 Release!

    W.B.Hill <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Paul Duncan wrote:
    >
    > > Of those, my personal favorites (and, coincidentally, the most juvenile)
    > > seem to be LAMR, LASR, LAFR, FAMR, FAPR, and FASR.

    > Let's play with permutations, 'coz you gotta have a LARF ...

    There's always RODS - Ruby, OS, Database, Server

    martin
    Martin DeMello, Dec 15, 2005
  20. Hampton

    Chad Perrin Guest

    Re: [OT] Re: Puby 1.0 Release!

    On Fri, Dec 16, 2005 at 08:22:40AM +0900, Martin DeMello wrote:
    > W.B.Hill <> wrote:
    > > On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Paul Duncan wrote:
    > >
    > > > Of those, my personal favorites (and, coincidentally, the most juvenile)
    > > > seem to be LAMR, LASR, LAFR, FAMR, FAPR, and FASR.

    > > Let's play with permutations, 'coz you gotta have a LARF ...

    > There's always RODS - Ruby, OS, Database, Server

    FURoR: Free Unix + Ruby on Rails
    where "Free Unix" = Linux, *BSD, MINIX, whatever

    Chad Perrin, Dec 15, 2005