    Is there a way to implement a hit counter thats pure HTML ?
    I don't want to display the hits on the web pages, just want to gather
    stats.

    Paul White, Jul 3, 2003

  2. "Paul White" <> wrote in message
    news:5FTMa.572$...

    > Is there a way to implement a hit counter thats pure HTML ?
    > I don't want to display the hits on the web pages, just want to gather
    > stats.

    HTML means "Hypertext Markup Language".
    HTML only defines the structure of the document. It does nothing else.

    To count the hits, you need something on your server that is capable of
    doing that.
    This can be done on your own with server-side scripting. But often your host
    already has something like Webalizer or Analog stats already on the machine

    However, I've never seen a (paid) web host that does not offer this.
    There is no excuse for being on a free web host such as Tripod or
    Geoshitties.
    Any hosting company worth dealing with will be able to provide you with
    stats.

    I'm sure some of the other Aussies who read this group can recommend some
    hosting.
    Here in the US, I use Page-Zone http://www.page-zone.com and I've been very
    satisfied.

    --
    Karl Core

    EightNineThree, Jul 3, 2003

  3. Paul White wrote:
    > Is there a way to implement a hit counter thats pure HTML ?
    > I don't want to display the hits on the web pages, just want to gather
    > stats.

    No way at all. HTML alone cannot do it.

    --
    Nicolai Zwar
    http://www.nicolaizwar.com

    Nicolai P. Zwar, Jul 3, 2003
  4. Paul White

    Mark Parnell Guest

    EightNineThree wrote:

    > I'm sure some of the other Aussies who read this group can recommend
    > some hosting.

    We use NetRegistry here - http://www.netregistry.com.au. Most of their
    hosting plans give you the option of 3 different statistics packages.
    http://www.website-hosting.netregistry.com.au/
    http://www.netregistry.com.au/support/hosting/stats.html

    We have found them to be very reliable, and the few times we have had to
    contact them for support, they have been quick and helpful.

    HTH

    --

    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au