    replaces for me, but I am guessing this isn't the ideal solution)

    Many thanks

    Stu
    Stuart Palmer, Oct 30, 2003

  2. Stuart Palmer

    Chris Barber Guest

    Not being argumentative but why would you ever want to have a form field
    name with a '/' in it - it's such a patently horrible thing to have to deal
    with.
    My suggestion: change the field names.

    Chris.

    "Stuart Palmer" <> wrote in message
    Hi everyone,
    I have a form with '/' in some of the field names, when I pass through to
    the next page the field name comes back as though it's been htmlencoded, so
    getting the value out of the field I need to convert this back to '/' with
    the replace (same problem if I have a ',' in the name)

    Is there an easy way to htmldecode or something what it converted to the
    encoded versions? (I have written a short function to basically do all my

    Chris Barber, Oct 30, 2003

  3. Stuart Palmer

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:42:30 -0000, "Stuart Palmer"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi everyone,
    >I have a form with '/' in some of the field names, when I pass through to
    >the next page the field name comes back as though it's been htmlencoded, so
    >getting the value out of the field I need to convert this back to '/' with
    >the replace (same problem if I have a ',' in the name)
    >
    >Is there an easy way to htmldecode or something what it converted to the
    >encoded versions? (I have written a short function to basically do all my
    >replaces for me, but I am guessing this isn't the ideal solution)

    Better than a replace is simply not to name fields with any characters
    other than alphanumeric. Including no spaces. Most languages have
    issues with the slash and backslash, as well as quotation marks,
    mathematical or comparison symbols and the like. Stick with A-Z, 0-9,
    and hyphens and underscores.

    Our programming convention is that field names in forms match
    corresponding field names in databases, as well as variable names.
    Some of us still use three letter designations, such as strLastName or
    frmLastname to designate either data type or where the field
    originates, but we don't mandate it.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Oct 30, 2003
  4. Good point, however I am dynamically building an email from the form and
    these are the questions being processed into the output
    email......'Do_you_have_any_suggestions/comments' it is easy to replace the
    _ with spaces on the email but as the '/' and ',' are encoded, it causes me
    a small problem. Like email -> strContent = fieldname & ": " &
    request.form(fieldname)

    Could you suggest another way I can implement form replies into a nice
    layout that the recipient can understand?

    Thx

    Stu

    Stuart Palmer, Oct 30, 2003
  5. Stuart Palmer

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:48:23 -0000, "Stuart Palmer"
    <> wrote:

    >Good point, however I am dynamically building an email from the form and
    >these are the questions being processed into the output
    >email......'Do_you_have_any_suggestions/comments' it is easy to replace the
    >_ with spaces on the email but as the '/' and ',' are encoded, it causes me
    >a small problem. Like email -> strContent = fieldname & ": " &
    >request.form(fieldname)

    That's not the field name, that's the input from the user. You said
    your field names had a slash, not the input string. Field names
    should never have a slash or quote in them. For the string input by
    the user, you escape them if they will be a problem. You can also
    Server.HTMLEncode them.

    Example:

    Form:

    <form action='emailresults.asp'>
    <P>Do you have any comments/suggestions?<input type='text'
    name='comments' id='comments' value='None'></P>
    <input type="submit" name="submit" id="submit" value="Submit">
    </form>

    emailresults.asp:

    <%
    strComment = Request.Form("comments")
    Response.Write strComment
    %>

    This shouldn't be an issue if a slash is entered.

    Jeff

    Jeff Cochran, Oct 30, 2003