*.py source file surprisingly deleted with Pydev/Eclipse. Who elseexperienced this ?

Nebur

Hi folks developing with Pydev/Eclipse,

this is the second time in about half a year that the following
surprise bites me:

I've switched between some files in Pydev/Eclipse using the
FileNavigator, and when I want to go back to my last-edited *.py file,
it is missing.
No more in the FileNavigator, no more in the OpenFiles-List of the
Editor. Removed anywhere. Erased from the file system. Restorable from
the version control only.
Only a young orphan *.pyc file is sitting around, showing me I haven't
dreamed of editing the file two minutes before.
I'm sure I did no delete operations with eclipse, and I'm sure I did
not use another application than eclipse in the meantime.

No, I can't reproduce it, and I don't know whom to blame (Pydev?
Eclipse ? The File System ? A Virus that only 2 times in half a year
deletes a single file I'm busy working with, and seems to do nothing
else? Myself beeing schizophrenic ??)

Someone else already had this effect ?
Nebur

PS: Debian Etch 64Bit/JFS,Eclipse3.3,Pydev1.3.14.

Fabio Zadrozny

Hi Nebur,

Are you using svn? I did have a problem once related to that (but it's
more related to the svn plugin than to pydev)... I think that for some
reason the undo seems to be mapped to a creation of a file that came
from svn (I don't remember exactly how to reproduce it, but I do
remember it was associated only with svn -- cvs didn't have that
problem -- but it was something like trying to make undo on a file
that didn't have anything changed and then it would go to the svn and
remove another file).

Cheers,

Fabio

Nebur

Are you using svn? I did have a problem once related to that (but it's

Hi Fabio,
No, there's no version control plugin. I use Mercurial, but externally
only.
I've considered a problem with version control, too.
But all external reasons (file sytem, virus, version control) seem
unplausible because when simply removing the file from file system,
Eclipse would complain about the missing ressource.
So I have 2 ideas only: A _very_ strange bug inside the Eclipse/Plugin
process, or something with my brain ;-)
Nebur

Alex9968

Nebur said:
No, I can't reproduce it, and I don't know whom to blame (Pydev?
Eclipse ? The File System ? A Virus that only 2 times in half a year
deletes a single file I'm busy working with, and seems to do nothing
else? Myself beeing schizophrenic ??)
A virus created to remind you 2 times in half a year of the importance
of backup operations ;-) . I'm joking. I don't know what is this, but
I'm interested. Because my files won't be restorable from version
control :-(

Nebur

Yes. Linux viruses are rare but useful :)
Well, I don't think the problem a very dangerous one. The Pydev/
Eclipse was used for much more than a year nearly daily and
intensively. The strange effect is very rare,obviously (plus the
chance that it's in my brain, as I mentioned ;-D ) so you probably can
lean back. Anyway, I'd be glad to get an even faint idea of the
problem.

Gabriel Genellina

Nebur wrote:
A virus created to remind you 2 times in half a year of the importance
of backup operations ;-) . I'm joking. I don't know what is this, but
I'm interested. Because my files won't be restorable from version
control :-(

Then implement it! It's not so difficult, less if you're the only one
working on the files.

Fabio Zadrozny

Yes. Linux viruses are rare but useful :)
Well, I don't think the problem a very dangerous one. The Pydev/
Eclipse was used for much more than a year nearly daily and
intensively. The strange effect is very rare,obviously (plus the
chance that it's in my brain, as I mentioned ;-D ) so you probably can
lean back. Anyway, I'd be glad to get an even faint idea of the
problem.

Hi Nebur,

Well, I have absolutely no idea of what could trigger that either :(

So, just wanted to point out that eclipse saves your file history
(even if you do not have a vcs)... that operation can be selected by
right clicking a parent folder and selecting 'restore from local
history'.

Cheers,

Fabio

Alex9968

Gabriel said:
Then implement it! It's not so difficult, less if you're the only one
working on the files.
Implement what? The virus? I haven't said that I'm interested in virus,
I meant I'd like to know WHAT is this

Nebur

So, just wanted to point out that eclipse saves your file history
(even if you do not have a vcs)... that operation can be selected by
right clicking a parent folder and selecting 'restore from local
history'.
Fabio, you are right; this feature should help to compensate ... but
in my case, the Eclipse said "No deleted ressources in local history
for selected container".
I'm not familiar with the Local-History feature (since using a vcs),
so it may be misconfigured. (The setting in Preferences/Workspace/
LocalHistore are at default: 7 days to keep files, 50 maximum entries
per file, max.file size 1MB - which should be enough. ). Hm.
Anyway, I don't see any idea how to track down what happened. So lets
close the thread and simply continue working.
* This is a good occasion to state that Pydev/Eclipse still is a very
efficient IDE in my opinion, and (aside from this mystery here) it is
perfectly stable for >>1 year now! This must be said, to correct any
potential misimpression.
Ciao,
Nebur

Nebur

Implement what? The virus? I haven't said that I'm interested in virus,
I meant I'd like to know WHAT is this
No, this was a misunderstanding. What we meant was:
when you want to implement a virus, you should use a version control :-
Nebur