Pyro and sqlite3 problem

Sébastien Ramage

Hi !

I'm trying to build an client/server app based on Pyro and sqlite3.
But I have a problem using sqlite3 on the server

I got this error :

sqlite3.ProgrammingError: ('SQLite objects created in a thread can
only be used
in that same thread.The object was created in thread id 240 and this
is thread i
d 4068', 'This error occured remotely (Pyro). Remote traceback is
available.')

what can I do to avoid this ?

I'm using Python 2.5.1,Pyro 3.7 under Windows

Sébastien

Dennis Lee Bieber

sqlite3.ProgrammingError: ('SQLite objects created in a thread can
only be used
in that same thread.The object was created in thread id 240 and this
is thread i
d 4068', 'This error occured remotely (Pyro). Remote traceback is
available.')

what can I do to avoid this ?
Off hand -- ensure that each remote access runs the entire sequence
of "connect, cursor, execute, fetch, cursor-close, connection-close"
rather than trying to, say, create a cursor in one access and then use
that cursor on a second access...

Or maybe create one long-running thread to handle the database
access and use queue objects to transfer the remote access parameters to
the database thread, then retrieve from a return queue.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Sébastien Ramage

Off hand -- ensure that each remote access runs the entire sequence
of "connect, cursor, execute, fetch, cursor-close, connection-close"
rather than trying to, say, create a cursor in one access and then use
that cursor on a second access...

Or maybe create one long-running thread to handle the database
access and use queue objects to transfer the remote access parameters to
the database thread, then retrieve from a return queue.
--

thanks you for answer.
Do you think the first solution will be slow? I think I must use

The second solution seems better and looks like what I wanted to build
at first time, but maybe an ever opened sqlite database isn't a good
thing ?

Sébastien Ramage

I'm trying to build a client/server app
the server use a sqlite3 database to store differents things
the client ask the server to get value or store new entries in the
database.
The problem is that Pyro create a new thread for each client

at first time I create the connection to database at server start and
I would re use the connection for transaction but I get the error.
Maybe I can open/close database for each transaction but maybe it
would be slow ?

Seb

2007/12/1, Sergio Correia <[email protected]>:

If you are creating a cursor/connection object, you need to use it
in
the same thread that created it. Otherwise, some weird errors can
happen (as many of this list have said).

If you give us more info about the type of the problem (what are
you
trying to do?) we can help you build a safer app.

Best,
Sergio

PS: When faced with the same error, I just recycled the objects
used
in the I/O operations and the problem was solved. However, that
was
done locally, without using Pyro, so your milleage may vary.

On Dec 1, 2007 4:29 AM, Sébastien Ramage

Dennis Lee Bieber

thanks you for answer.
Do you think the first solution will be slow? I think I must use
locking to avoid problem.
May not need your own level of locking since SQLite has a fairly
complex internal set of locks -- but you /would/ have to program with
recovery code if one thread, say, attempts to commit() and gets an error
message that the DB is locked. SQLite allows many reader threads in
parallel, but the first one that attempts to update the DB will: 1)
block any NEW reader thread and, 2) block, itself, until all other
reader threads have exited -- only then will it propagate upwards to
actually writing the DB changes.

So it is best to encapsulate any updates into a short fast,
self-contained, sequence. If you have to do something like: read data,
present to use, get user changes, submit update... You will likely need
to do it in two transactions: read data/commit (unlocking DB), present
to user, get user changes (hopefully only one record or group of related
records), submit an update where you specify a match of the old data
values (this is to allow you to detect if some other transaction slipped
in an update), commit.

It IS lot of overhead, but I suspect even a full client/server
database [the DBMS controls the data files and clients send operations]
(rather than SQLite file-server model [each client opens/controls the
same shared files -- which is what M$ JET/Access does]) will require
something similar as you'd need to maintain the open connection/cursor
between operations.
The second solution seems better and looks like what I wanted to build
at first time, but maybe an ever opened sqlite database isn't a good
thing ?

It would have been open continuously in your original attempt to
share across threads. The DB access thread would only have to open
(connect) once, and create one cursor. Updates will still have to follow
the fast short mode, in which a read/display is a separate transaction
from an update.

The data model may become more complex... (pseudocode)

DBRequestQ = Queue.Queue()

class Transaction(object):
def __init__(self):
self.myQ = Queue.Queue()
self.ops = []
def addSelect(self, SQL, parms=None):
self.ops.append(("SELECT", SQL, parms))
def addUpdate(self, SQL, parms=None):
self.ops.append(("UPDATE", SQL, parms))
def addInsert(self, SQL, parms=None):
self.ops.append(("INSERT", SQL, parms))
def addShutdown(self):
self.ops.append(("SHUTDOWN", None, None))
def submit(self):
DBRequestQ.put(self)
def retrieve(self):
myData = []
for (op, status, data) in self.myQ.get():
myData.append((op, status, data))
if op == "COMMIT": return myData

def DBThread():
con = sqlite.connect()
cur = con.cursor()
run = True
for transaction in DBRequestQ.get():
#begin transaction
for (op, SQL, parms) in transaction.ops:
if op == "SHUTDOWN":
run = False
break
if parms:
cur.execute(SQL, parms)
else:
cur.execute(SQL)
if op == "SELECT":
data = cur.fetchall()
else:
data = None
#get operation status code (somehow?)
#ie, number of records updated/inserted, or error
transaction.myQ.put((op, status, data))
con.commit()
#get commit status
transaction.myQ.put(("COMMIT", status, None))
if not run: exit #exit DB thread
cur.close()
con.close()

A request sequence would then look something like:

aTrans = Transaction()
aTrans.addSelect("select ...", (itm1, ... itmN))
aTrans.add*(..., ...)
aTrans.submit()
results = aTrans.retrieve()
del aTrans

Please note that I did not hack in any time-out or error recovery
logic...