pyRTF and Footers

E.Doxtator

Hi All

I've been using the pyRTF module to generate some documents that I need
for work. In general, the module is good, and pretty simple to use.
However, I am running into a problem with footers that doesn't quite
make sense to me.

My question is this: Is it possible to change the text of a footer
throughout an RTF document?

The data that I am using to produce my document is organized in a
simple header/detail relationship. The document I want to produce
looks roughly like this:

---------------------------
USER001

detail data line 1
detail data line 2
detail data line 3

page footer that says "USER001, plus some other information"

**page break**

USER002

detail data line 1
detail data line 2
detail data line 3

page footer that says "USER002, plus some other information"

**page break**

USERnnn

detail data line 1
detail data line 2
detail data line 3

page footer that says "USERnnn, plus some other information"

END OF DOCUMENT

---------------------------

I've gotten everything the way I want, except for the footer. The
footer appears on the first page, but not on any other page.

The code that generates the footer is (apologies in advance for poor
style):

---------------------------

def MakeFooter(self, facilitatir, startDate, endDate, tuID):
section = Section()

self.doc.Sections.append( section )

p = Paragraph( "%s - %s (%s - %s)" % ( facilitator, tuID,
startDate, endDate ), LINE )
p.append( 'Page', PAGE_NUMBER, ' of ', TOTAL_PAGES )
section.Footer.append( p )

---------------------------

The logic that calls MakeFooter is:

---------------------------

tuDoc = MakeTUDoc()
DR = Renderer()

for i in range( start, end + 1 ):
key = "Traininguser%03d" % ( i )
tuDoc.MakeFooter( facilitator, startDate, endDate, key )
tuDoc.MakeHeader( key, module )
< code to populate the document with detail data >

DR.Write( tuDoc.doc, tuDoc.OpenFile( 'JUNK' ) )

print( 'DONE!' )

---------------------------

(Note: the MakeHeader() method doesn't put an actual RTF header in the
document-- it just puts text in a Heading1 format into a section at the
top of the page, before the detail data.)

I had a look at the RTF 1.5 specification
(http://www.biblioscope.com/rtf15_spec.htm), and regarding headers and
footers and it's pretty thin. I didn't see anything in the
specification regarding support for changing footer text throughout the
document. Nothing in there that said I could do it, either.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance. This is an extremely helpful discussion group.

-Doc

Gabriel Genellina

At said:
I've been using the pyRTF module to generate some documents that I need
for work. In general, the module is good, and pretty simple to use.
However, I am running into a problem with footers that doesn't quite
make sense to me.

First, I don't use pyRTF. The app sketch and code snippet you have
posted look reasonable.
At least using Word, you can configure a page footer for each section
in the document, so I think it should be posible.
If you don't get the output you want, it may be a bug in the module,
you are using it in the wrong way, the feature is unsupported, etc.
but most likely not a bug in Python itself. So a better place to ask
would be... well, it appears there is no better place except asking
the author directly :)

(BTW, thanks for pointing me towards pyRTF - it may be useful, so
I'll give it a try...)

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL

Correo Yahoo!

E.Doxtator

Gabriel said:
First, I don't use pyRTF. The app sketch and code snippet you have
posted look reasonable.

Thanks :)
At least using Word, you can configure a page footer for each section
in the document, so I think it should be posible.

I edited the document in Word without problems. I put in several
different footers into my generated RTF document.
If you don't get the output you want, it may be a bug in the module, =:-O

you are using it in the wrong way,

This is a possibility. I took a look at the raw RTF text, and the
multiple footers are in the text. I'm going to have to edit the
document with word and compare it to the original to see what the
difference is, I guess.
...the feature is unsupported, etc.

Say it ain't so!
but most likely not a bug in Python itself. =:-O

So a better place to ask would be... well, it appears there is no better place except asking
the author directly :)

Anyone got his number?
(BTW, thanks for pointing me towards pyRTF - it may be useful, so
I'll give it a try...)

It's very useful. I can see several applications in my job where I can
use this module.

Thanks

-Doc

Gabriel Genellina

At said:
Anyone got his number?

You could try the address listed in the docs...
I'm trying the examples and Example7 appears to be what you want.

--
Gabriel Genellina
Softlab SRL

Correo Yahoo!