Python 2.1 Compilation error - can't find krb5.h

Gabby

I am attempting to compile python 2.1 from the source on a RedHat 9.0
system. The problem is that a openssl header file (kssl.h) requires
krb5.h which isn't in the usual place (/usr/include). Instead krb5.h
gets installed at usr/kerberos/include. The openssl version is
0.9.7a-2. When I build python, the ./configure works fine but the
make' has problems building the _socket extension. The beginning of
the error message is pasted below. How do I let python know where to
find the krb5.h file?

In file included from /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h:179,
from /home/merlin/Python-2.1.2/Modules/socketmodule.c:196:
/usr/include/openssl/kssl.h:72:18: krb5.h: No such file or directory
In file included from /usr/include/openssl/ssl.h:179,
from /home/merlin/Python-2.1.2/Modules/socketmodule.c:196:

Jeremy Hylton

I am attempting to compile python 2.1 from the source on a RedHat 9.0
system. The problem is that a openssl header file (kssl.h) requires
krb5.h which isn't in the usual place (/usr/include). Instead krb5.h
gets installed at usr/kerberos/include. The openssl version is
0.9.7a-2. When I build python, the ./configure works fine but the
make' has problems building the _socket extension. The beginning of
the error message is pasted below. How do I let python know where to
find the krb5.h file?

This problem is fixed in CVS, but there hasn't been much interest in a
2.1.4 release since it's now two minor revisions out of date.

The solution is to add the following bit of code to setup.py just after
ssl_incs is defined.

krb5_h = find_file('krb5.h', inc_dirs,
['/usr/kerberos/include'])
if krb5_h: